onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Tom Pope Analysis

LancyTony

4 minutes ago, tisdeano said:

He wouldn’t pass a medical hence him playing at level 9 step 5

As I said confirming DC’s decision to release him based on working with Tom on a daily basis, rather than re-hashing historic wiki stats as ‘compelling evidence’ that he could still ‘do a job’

Advert

35 minutes ago, Sam Kelly's Left Boot said:

He'd still hit 10+ next season for us if.. 1) he got the game time.. 2) we actually got crosses into the box.

Every time he came on last season we would take our crossing threat ie Worrall off. 

But hey, we move on.

Not sure he would personally. 

As I said confirming DC’s decision to release him based on working with Tom on a daily basis, rather than re-hashing historic wiki stats as ‘compelling evidence’ that he could still ‘do a job’

I was merely explaining why he is now playing at that level, I never argued against DC decision p

The time had come for Tom and Vale to part ways, I've got no doubt about that.

But comments like "found his level," you must be joking surely?

Tom's gone there because its local, he's around lads he knows and he can carry on despite that injury.  

I can't fault him one bit.

As I say, the time was right, but it's just outright disrespectful to have a sly pop at a genuine club legend to come out with comments like that.

The guy is our post war record goalscorer and, despite losing some of his presence on the field over the last couple of years of his career, gave his absolute all for the vale in every game.

Why stick the boot in?

Just don't get it.

The time had come for Tom and Vale to part ways, I've got no doubt about that.
But comments like "found his level," you must be joking surely?
Tom's gone there because its local, he's around lads he knows and he can carry on despite that injury.  
I can't fault him one bit.
As I say, the time was right, but it's just outright disrespectful to have a sly pop at a genuine club legend to come out with comments like that.
The guy is our post war record goalscorer and, despite losing some of his presence on the field over the last couple of years of his career, gave his absolute all for the vale in every game.
Why stick the boot in?
Just don't get it.

Exactly

I think the club has handled the PR side very badly here. DCs "deadwood" comment may not have been aimed at Tom Pope but it was unnecessary. It would have done no harm to say something along the lines of "due to his injury sustained during a Vale game we are unable to offer Tom another contract. We thank him for his contribution and wish him all the best for the future, whatever that may be."

I think some poster are maybe a little sensitive about Pope 'finding his level'.

I would suggest he has found the right level for him at this stage of his career due to his age and the way he looks after himself away from football, plus his legacy injuries. I don't see how that disrespectful at all.

Personally I wish him all the best an absolute legend and a brilliant career with 2 spells at the club. A lower league legend - never mind a Port Vale legend.

All the very best TP. I'm sure if the Bears feed the Pope he will score!

The king is dead. Long live the king.

1 minute ago, MBE said:

I think some poster are maybe a little sensitive about Pope 'finding his level'.

I would suggest he has found the right level for him at this stage of his career due to his age and the way he looks after himself away from football, plus his legacy injuries. I don't see how that disrespectful at all.

Personally I wish him all the best an absolute legend and a brilliant career with 2 spells at the club. A lower league legend - never mind a Port Vale legend.

All the very best TP. I'm sure if the Bears feed the Pope he will score!

The king is dead. Long live the king.

Great post.

I don’t believe people have ‘stuck the boot in’ on Tom, but are venting their views to posters who could see no other way forward than with Tom.

They are  now feeling vindicated following today’s announcement that their opinion that Tom is no longer a viable option as a League 2 striker have been confirmed.

let’s hope Congleton have a great FA Cup run and we get them at Vale Park in the First Round proper to give him a deserved send off.

Guest Vale at home
3 hours ago, Sandyford_Lion said:

Good luck Popey lad.

True star and wish him all the best for his future.Just enjoy yourself and hope you play on for another 10 years if thats what you want.

Thanks for everything you have done for the Vale. Our team. 

I agree . Well said . Good Luck Popey  . For your future .  Thank you for all you have done for Port vale fc . 

Guest Vale at home
2 hours ago, ELDERBEZZA said:

Good luck Tom Pope,thanks for the great memories and all those goals .Always welcome at the Vale.No need for any slagging off ,as Pope is a legend at Vale.I will miss the lad.

Yes I agree . 

Cannot wait to see him in action for Congleton Town (when Vale are out of town). He should score for fun against North West Counties defenders with a few semi-decent crosses into the box. Maybe he just decided his professional days are over with his age and injury, he's got enough money saved up and wants to play for fun locally. 

I think the club has handled the PR side very badly here. DCs "deadwood" comment may not have been aimed at Tom Pope but it was unnecessary. It would have done no harm to say something along the lines of "due to his injury sustained during a Vale game we are unable to offer Tom another contract. We thank him for his contribution and wish him all the best for the future, whatever that may be."
Go back and listen to that interview again he mentions Pope and his legendary status

3 minutes ago, dishydave said:
1 hour ago, Rampant Zebra said:

Go back and listen to that interview again he mentions Pope and his legendary status

Yep.  And saying letting him go because of his injury would have worked wonders for his chances of future employment!

Archived