onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Please do not bypass the swear filter

robf

Can I make a polite request to all users.

This site has a swear filter for a reason.

It's there because I've had messages from several users whose children access this forum and would prefer them not to view bad language. I hope you'd respect those views.

However,  there are some users who constantly try and bypass it by using characters, accents etc. Please don't. 

Let me explain why:

1. Hopefully, you enjoy some of the stuff on here I do. If you do surely you would prefer me to do more of it rather than spending time adding yet more new "creative" phrases to the swear filter.

2. I don't say this very often but it's my site. I would hope I have some level of respect so out of respect for my wishes (not to mention you're breaking the site rules) can you abide by my request not to swear.

3. Surely it's pretty simple to still make the point without swearing. If you can't then the point mustn't be very good one.

So, please, while I am sure it may be amusing to some of you to try and bypass the filter, can you please stop or I may be tempted to bring in more draconian measures and start adding bans for persistent offenders.

After all, if you can't respect a very simple request then maybe I may not want you on this site any more...

Thanks!

Advert

6 minutes ago, Santa said:

Reminds me of the time we played Scunthorpe and somebody scored with a mishit cross. I can’t remember what minute because I hadn’t checked my wristwatch. 

@Santa Yep, it is in no ways perfect due to the weirdness of the English language 🙂

But while some swearwords are contained in more innocent ones, the use of accents and characters to "re-spell" swearing is clearly another matter as those are just blatant attempts to "get around" the filter.

So, for me it's down to respect. Accidents can happen with language but blatant disregard for a direct, polite request from the site owner of 25 years just shows a lack of respect I think. 

I don't very often come on here "demanding respect" so I don't think I ask for too much so when I do ask for something like this. 

It's just a bit galling that some users just think they can ignore other people's (and children's) feeling and do what they like.  Not to mention I'd much rather be doing other things than adding new combinations of characters to the swear filter. 

It's not just that, I think it I just allowed all swearing the cases of personal abuse and insulting would skyrocket. Not swearing is, in effect, also a way of being politer to each other and respecting views of others. 

Thanks to users who have read this and will change their actions now - that is appreciated. For those who won't please don't be surprised if you end up with a ban, you have been warned!

@robf, message appreciated. This is a forum to be enjoyed by all lovers of the vale...

But as a person who has worked designing and programming computers for, my gosh, decades, the child in me (the one that still loves profanisaurus) is still looking forward to the day when I get to fill out a swear filter as part of my job. The joy at being paid to enter in all those rude words...

So just out of interest, just how many entries does the onevalefan swear filter have?

11 minutes ago, manc_vale said:

@robf, message appreciated. This is a forum to be enjoyed by all lovers of the vale...

But as a person who has worked designing and programming computers for, my gosh, decades, the child in me (the one that still loves profanisaurus) is still looking forward to the day when I get to fill out a swear filter as part of my job. The joy at being paid to enter in all those rude words...

So just out of interest, just how many entries does the onevalefan swear filter have?

@manc_vale Ha! Most unusual question for some time... It doesn't give an exact count but I would say about 3-400-odd. And believe me, it's very boring (and time I could spend doing other things) filling it in! 😉

Archived