onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Goalkeeper stats

Jacko51

Advert

This one is the most interesting, as it backs up what we saw. Scott Brown very rarely left his line, and this cost us. He did it the least in the division by a margin:

When he did come for a ball, he didn't do very well:

There was a lot of debate about Brown, and the discussion was to be had, but the Ale and the Vale boys summarised it well, in that although Brown was seemingly a good shot-stopper (although these stats suggest he was around average), you could probably sign a more well-rounded keeper.

He was last season. I said as much during the period where he wasn't saving any shot in earnest. He was excellent the season before though, no matter what the stats say.

Interestingly, the narrative always seemed to be that there was no better shot stopper than Scott Brown and it was his reluctance to leave his line that let him down.
These graphs say he was a poor shot stopper too!

D7600E05-18E6-4F65-9E95-F90554A29414.thumb.jpeg.60bf84fa49fcfd87bca8711271eb0b9c.jpeg
2D4253D2-B4F4-4AF8-A2C1-1515C3C88508.thumb.jpeg.f9805f4b032c36087395b15268980a69.jpeg

13 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

Interestingly, the narrative always seemed to be that there was no better shot stopper than Scott Brown and it was his reluctance to leave his line that let him down.

These graphs say he was a poor shot stopper too!

D7600E05-18E6-4F65-9E95-F90554A29414.jpeg

2D4253D2-B4F4-4AF8-A2C1-1515C3C88508.jpeg

My honest view, and its controversial, is that Brown was an average-poor League 2 keeper who avoided stick on the basis of:

1) Past heroics

2) Memorable good saves overshadowing consistent underperformance

3) The fact he's a top lad

4) The 'best keeper in the league' narrative that took hold in season 1

If The Matrix is using stats, you can understand the reasons he was released.

19 minutes ago, Joe B said:

My honest view, and its controversial, is that Brown was an average-poor League 2 keeper who avoided stick on the basis of:

1) Past heroics

Totally agree jb 

36 minutes ago, Joe B said:

1) Past heroics

I can't agree with that. I always felt he made big saves at big moments. He wasn't a brilliant all round keeper, but I thought he was well ahead in terms of points gained vs points lost.

31 minutes ago, johnjeffersfanclub said:

I can't agree with that. I always felt he made big saves at big moments. He wasn't a brilliant all round keeper, but I thought he was well ahead in terms of points gained vs points lost.

I agree up until last season. He was poor last season but brilliant the year before 

I don't think it helped that he knew that he would never be dropped. Even only on a subconscious level, this must have affected his performances

I agree up until last season. He was poor last season but brilliant the year before 

Archived