onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Alex Williams

Davebrad

hi, sorry if i've offended anyone by my discription of the goalie, but he was, anyway it was within the last 20/25yrs, and even being big  he could get down fast, i've got a feeling he was named Williams but i could be wrong, and how old was he?

Admin Note: title now changed

Advert

9 minutes ago, Davebrad said:

hi, sorry if i've offended anyone by my discription of the goalie, but he was, anyway it was within the last 20/25yrs, and even being big  he could get down fast, i've got a feeling he was named Williams but i could be wrong, and how old was he?

I think you have identified yourself that the term used is inappropriate. I’m sure not done maliciously and rather due to not knowing what else to use.

The following video explains should you care to watch.

I have seen universal support for removing racism from football on here, so I’m hopeful you are happy to watch and maybe adjust language.

• robf changed the title to Alex Williams
42 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

Alex Williams on loan from Man city in the 80's . 

Played in the famous 6-0 away win at Fulham. 

He was a permanent signing wasn't he?

He was allowed to go by Man City because of injuries and I think Vale felt they could have a bargain if he recovered but sadly he didn't and had to retire through injury. 

https://www.onevalefan.co.uk/2015/04/alex-williams-player-profile/

1 hour ago, Iron Curtain said:

I think you have identified yourself that the term used is inappropriate. I’m sure not done maliciously and rather due to not knowing what else to use.

The following video explains should you care to watch.

I have seen universal support for removing racism from football on here, so I’m hopeful you are happy to watch and maybe adjust language.

yes as you say it was a case of not knowing how else to phrase  my question, and not being argumentative, but how else should i have phrased it...not to cause offence.

18 minutes ago, Davebrad said:

yes as you say it was a case of not knowing how else to phrase  my question, and not being argumentative, but how else should i have phrased it...not to cause offence.

Having looked Alex up online If you were to describe him using his skin colour then he is black.

11 hours ago, Iron Curtain said:

Having looked Alex up online If you were to describe him using his skin colour then he is black.

thanks for your reply, but isn't black a no-no word when talking about someone, i would have thought black is a more harsh a discription word than coloured...

6 minutes ago, Davebrad said:

thanks for your reply, but isn't black a no-no word when talking about someone, i would have thought black is a more harsh a discription word than coloured...

I’m not the pre-eminent expert on this by a long way.

Lots of stuff you can read, or videos you can watch on the internet if you would like to explore the concept.

Not one for a long debate on here I don’t think. 

UTV

It's difficult, especially as preferred terms sometimes change. My nan used to say it was mean to call 'them' black, you should call them 'brownies'! Like with Davebrad there was no intention to denigrate, dismiss or offend, but as IC says there are now lots of places online to find out what's currently the preferred term.

As an aside, I wonder why there are disproportionately significantly fewer black goalkeepers.

Archived