• OVF player sponsorship 2022

£10 to enter. More details and a link to donate can be found here

Euro 2020

robf

11 minutes ago, Rocky said:

Hard to criticise looking at the tournament objectively. Only conceded 2 goals in 7 games, took the final to penalties, I'm not saying we would have scored the penalties we had missed but the team's chances increase if you take the first penalty and Italy won the toss in both the semi-final and final. Could have gone either way.

Easy to say Southgate should have brought on Grealish sooner but his lack of playing time isn't due to his ability on the ball, it's his slowness in pressing when we don't have it. And England were struggling to keep possession, there were a lot of unforced errors in the second half. What I have noticed in the tournament is when England have won, the majority of fans say it's because of the players, when we lost, it's the manager. Some things in football never change.

An incredible achievement, in time it will become clearer as to how good this was. 5 years ago we were knocked out by Iceland, our lowest low. We've followed up a semi final in the World Cup with a final in the Euros. Regardless of whether you disagree with the tactics, they are the facts and there were many times I thought I would never see England in a final, I'll take it.

Progress is being made,  the next target is the World Cup Final.  Please try to avoid penalty shoot-outs.

Advert:

52 minutes ago, ginge said:

Saka has never taken a penalty in his professional career. Yet he was given the pressure of being 5th taker. 

You don't know that he was "given the pressure" or if he volunteered for it.

Personally, I think you ought to be asking who wants to take one, rather than dumping the responsibility on people.

Devastating and the worst possible way to lose but once the raw emotion clears we will look back on a memorable summer.

This is such a young squad and the disgusting comments are bang out of order to these players, I hope it doesn't destroy them because we have a team now that could mature into a squad capable to winning tournaments for the next 6-8 years.

From the pain of the 2014 World Cup and 2016 Euros to Iceland we've reached the World Cup Semi Final (lost ET), Nations League Semi (Lost ET) and Euro 2020 Final (lost pens).

Fine margins but we need to take this pain and channel it ahead of Qatar and try and go that one step further. Last night wasn't the end of the journey but the start of a very bright future you feel with the squad we have and age of it.

Advert:

1 hour ago, ginge said:

Saka has never taken a penalty in his professional career. Yet he was given the pressure of being 5th taker. 

On reflection I don't think it matters. Easy to question if it goes wrong. People saying he is only 19, he shouldn't have been put in that position. If age is an issue then he shouldn't even be at the tournament. This team have been fearless and he stepped up to take it, if he scores it nobody is going to question why he was put in that position. 

1 hour ago, Doha said:

What reputation and credibility? He’s a Trump cult moron who posted on here last year what “common sense” it would be for America to simply ban Muslims from entering. We’re not exactly dealing with a learned mastermind here. 

Just thinking. Perhaps we should claim the match was stolen and England really won it. Let’s demand a recount and while you’re at it, can you send me a tenner to help with my campaign?

54 minutes ago, Fozza19 said:

You don't know that he was "given the pressure" or if he volunteered for it.

Personally, I think you ought to be asking who wants to take one, rather than dumping the responsibility on people.

I have not dumped the responsibility on anyone. I was just making the point that for someone who has not taken a professional penalty maybe should not be 5th to take one with the pressure that the 5th position penalty comes with. 

Great article that 

Typical of Southgate as well to say he made the decisions, so it's on him, showing how a real leader takes responsibility (as a counterweight, see Mourinho mentioning Shaw, one of the players of the tournament, in his list of senior players who 'didn't step forward'). For all people talk of Southgate's caution (I prefer to say pragmatism, but it's a fair enough charge), he's a great leader and example, and the team spirit is better now than I can ever remember, with no factions, and youth being given a chance. Are substitutions his biggest weakness? Possibly, but you'd have said the same about Rudgie.

We made the final of the Euros, (and only lost on pens to arguably the best team in the world right now), and the semis of the WC, something the talented squads of the 2000s never managed, so to say it's 'in spite' of Southgate, as opposed to crediting him for any success, is nonsense.

1 hour ago, Jacko51 said:

Look back at the start of this thread.  No one predicted we would reach the Final.  It was hard to watch last night but England have had an excellent tournament.

They have indeed both on and off the pitch. 

Advert:

1 hour ago, Jacko51 said:

Look back at the start of this thread.  No one predicted we would reach the Final.  It was hard to watch last night but England have had an excellent tournament.

Spot on.We are definitely improving under Gareth and are now progressing from tournament semi-finals to finals.

Roll on the next World Cup.🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

Congratulations to the Azzurri on extending their unbeaten run to 34 games.

4 hours ago, valiant_593 said:

Knew it would happen. Feel sorry for him, shouldn’t have been taking that penalty and the abuse from his so called fans is absolutely disgusting.

We say we have the best fans in the world. They’ve been pretty vile at times this tournament.

Racism, storming Wembley, booing national anthems ect. It’s no wonder we’re hated. Hope they punish all involved. 

The disturbing thing for me is, whoever had missed those penalties they would have suffered abuse the public and press have history in that department and I'm sure that Southgate of all people would have realised that, ( Unless there is a KFC advert in the offering)

The pressure on the lad to take the 5th penalty was immense apparently he doesn't normally take them and to think Grealish wanted to have a go makes you wonder about the back room preparation.

Good game last night and fair play to Italy they were the better side and deserved the win , thought Southgate was to negative can’t understand why grealish didn’t come on till the start of extra time and a mention about the ref who was brilliant let the game flow and didn’t blow every time someone hit the deck wish the refs we get were like that 

14 minutes ago, blackdog said:

The disturbing thing for me is, whoever had missed those penalties they would have suffered abuse the public and press have history in that department and I'm sure that Southgate of all people would have realised that, ( Unless there is a KFC advert in the offering)

The pressure on the lad to take the 5th penalty was immense apparently he doesn't normally take them and to think Grealish wanted to have a go makes you wonder about the back room preparation.

It seems that penalties were practised every day so they would have collected data from those sessions and made their decisions based on that. Grealish has taken one in his professional career about 3 years ago and missed. It looks like Pickford was 6th to take so it wasn't just who was up for it, I can imagine Pickford is decent at penalties too.

Proper bottle job last night by Southgate and the players. Scored early, played football, looked the better team and then suddenly allowed Italy all the time in the world to knock it around. We suddenly stopped doing what was clearly working so well. As soon as they scored it was always going to be extremely difficult, as momentum is everything in football. Only once Chiesa, who was outstanding, went off the game became more equal again. But we created nothing considering the players Southgate had at his disposal.

Southgate lost the game for us last night more than Italy had to win it. We'll never have a better chance and he blew it with his negative approach and woeful use of subs. The game was there to be won had he just been a little more brave.

Advert:

Well done, England on getting so far, a team and set up that was easy for the neutral to warm to. From the beginning of the tournament Italy were my favourites, another team that was greater than the sum of its parts with much to play for to lift the mood of their nation. I know people are disappointed but the speed with which the team and manager come in for vitriolic abuse on various platforms is headspinning. It reminds me of the bad old days when England’s support assumed a divine right to win things with an assumption they had the best raw materials. In this tournament they’ve been excelllent but there were two or three better teams in the other half of the draw.

The better team won , England stunk the whole tournament out with their anti football. The whole game plan was get the ball to Sterling or Kane ,they would then dive win a free kick and hope to score from it. In one way I’m glad we became a bit more streetwise but those 2 players were embarrassing with their dives.

So sickened by the abuse dished out to the 3 lads who missed. Feel really down today and not even about the result. As much as I hate empty patriotism, I believed that the team's progress in the Euros would possibly change minds or at least get racists to appreciate the positives of our multi-cultural country. I thought that possibly the decrease in the booing of the team taking the knee might mean that people had begun to accept it, perhaps even accept the reasons behind it. But no, all that was happening was a few more coins were added to the bounty, the pressure increased until there were scapegoats, and poisonous witless <ovf censored> could unleash their 'payback'. I really despair. Imagine the mindset it would take to spray racist comments over a mural of Rashford, a man who went out of his way to feed children and spent some of lockdown working in a food bank. What kind of person thinks it's ok to tweet monkey emojis at a 19 year old lad who has probably just experienced the most devastating moment of his life. Really <ovf censored> fed up of this and, as Gary Nevile said, it starts at the top.

Archived