Euro 2020

Posted (edited)

How that was not a red card for the tackle on Grealish is a mystery to me. Studs up. Straight to the knee.

Penalties now and I'm not sure I can watch this.

Edited by VantaaVale

After taking the lead and then sitting back and inviting pressure, the Italians obliged and poured forward.  For 80+% of the game there was only one team that looked like they wanted to score.... and it wasn't England !

Mind you, I've seen plenty of Vale games over the years where Vale have done that, and the usual outcome was that the opposition scored an equaliser/winner !! 

• Like 1

At the start of this tournament I wouldn’t have been surprised if we hadn’t got out of the group. Yet we got to the final and held the best team in the tournament for two hours. Not a bad outcome in the end. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, andy jones said:

Why allow a young inexperienced teenager to take the penalty?

Unbelievable pressure on the kid.

Doubt we'll ever know but wonder if some bottled it ? 

Where was Sterling for example ? Reminds me of big time Guvnor Ince bottling it years ago. 

Fair play to Saka for having the bottle. 

4 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

At the start of this tournament I wouldn’t have been surprised if we hadn’t got out of the group. Yet we got to the final and held the best team in the tournament for two hours. Not a bad outcome in the end. 

For me it would have been complete failure not to get out of the group when we been playing all the games at Wembley.  Yes football not played on paper but look at our team and I would not swap that squad of players for anyone else.  The full backs are as good as any other country, Maguire and Stones up there with anyone else as a partnership.  No other team has got attacking talent the likes of Sancho, Foden, Grealish, Rashford waiting in the wings. 

I never expected to have so little possession of the ball as we did tonight, if it was against Spain I could get that but not Italy.  It sounds harsh when Southgate has taken us to World Cup Semi Final and Euros Final but we didnt seem to learn from that Croatia game 2 years ago, early goal, looked on top for 20 minutes but then became negative and instead of looking to get the second tried to see the game out.

Really poor Management by Southgate tonight.

If you want to substitute players to bring on penalty takers it's not a good idea to leave it so late that their first kick is the actual penalty.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, andy jones said:

Thought Mancini bossed the management of the game. He asked questions of England and when they finally came on our subs were inept.

Well done Italy. 

For me if we had Mancini managing our set of players we would have won that tonight. 

Posted (edited)

Southgate lost us that game more than Italy had to win it. Awful, awful subs. Wrong players at the wrong times. As good as he's done and as sound we are at the back, only conceding a set piece and a rather unfortunate goal all tournament, he still doesn't have much of a clue how to get the best from a bunch of very talented attacking players. With the players we have we should be creating a bundle of chances but we simply don't. I think he's done a great job all in all and should be given loads of credit. But someone with a bit more courage is needed I feel to take us over that final hurdle.

Edited by Beech