Euro 2020

robf

Advert:

Soft, soft penalty but we were stronger than Denmark overall and deserved to win the game. In fact 2-1 flattered them I thought. Schmeichel made a couple of outstanding saves and if our final ball had been better, especially in extra time, we would have been clean through on goal on three or four occasions. I also thought Kane could have easily had a penalty prior to the one that he scored from, and their goal came from a free kick that was also a poor decision. The referee had a shocker.

Anyway, Kane showed why he's one of the best players in the world with his overall display. Sterling must be in the running for player of the tournament. Also think Maguire has looked an 80 million pound defender in an England shirt in in the few games he's played. Stones not far behind either.

We'll need to produce out best performance of the tournament to beat Italy but we have a genuine chance. They won't fancy the pace and movement we can offer up top. Playing 'quite well' or only in periods like last night won't be enough.

2 hours ago, mikey said:

We probably deserved the win, but questions will be asked of the penalty. 

We are in the final and thats all that matters.

Probably? What game were you watching? There's no probably about it. Miles the better side. Denmark gave as good as they got for an hour. After that it was all England.

6 hours ago, Beech said:

Probably? What game were you watching? There's no probably about it. Miles the better side. Denmark gave as good as they got for an hour. After that it was all England.

Yes, agree. When Denmark got their goal they had weathered the early England storm and were playing really crisp passing football and imo were good for their lead. England were second best at this point and Pickford in particular made me nervous; easily his worst game in this tournament and the occasion seemed to have got to him.

But England's response was magnificent and Denmark were broken by the equaliser. By the time an hour was played Denmark were dead on their feet and it was a matter of time before England got another. Yeah, the penalty was soft, but we have been on the receiving end of some shocking decisions over the years, so we were due a slice of good fortune.

And massive credit to how they played during extra time, particularly the second period. Denmark were chasing shadows at the end and it showed just how far this team has come since the horror of the Scotland game.

Onto Italy and hopefully glory. 

Advert:

Amazing night and deservedly got the result in the end.

Pen was soft but equally they were lucky to not concede one for the foul on Kane. Hats off to Kaspar Schmeichel, man of the match by a distance IMO with 3 or 4 great saves.

A little bit of history made but the boys will need to dig deep one more time on Sunday against an Italy side that have probably been as impressive as any in the tournament.

Thought we looked nervous until we equalised, giving the ball away too often but settled down after the equaliser and I never felt Denmark would score again, it was just a case of we score or not. Never a penalty but I don’t think their goal was a free kick and could easily have been a penalty when Kane was fouled in the box, one of 2 bad referees in the tournament (Wales v Denmark being the other). We will have to play better to beat Italy, something like we played against Germany might do but saying that we easily deserved to win and Schmeichel was man of the match.

Anyone got any spare tickets for the final? Got my train and accommodation booked, entered the ballot for the fan zone in case I can’t get tickets. 

2 hours ago, VantaaVale said:

Yes, agree. When Denmark got their goal they had weathered the early England storm and were playing really crisp passing football and imo were good for their lead. England were second best at this point and Pickford in particular made me nervous; easily his worst game in this tournament and the occasion seemed to have got to him.

But England's response was magnificent and Denmark were broken by the equaliser. By the time an hour was played Denmark were dead on their feet and it was a matter of time before England got another. Yeah, the penalty was soft, but we have been on the receiving end of some shocking decisions over the years, so we were due a slice of good fortune.

And massive credit to how they played during extra time, particularly the second period. Denmark were chasing shadows at the end and it showed just how far this team has come since the horror of the Scotland game.

Onto Italy and hopefully glory. 

I was honestly a bit dissapointed we didn't win by 3 or 4. Because now it gives all those salty anti-Englander's ammunition to use that soft penalty as the only reason why England won. Had we won by two or three, which we could and should have done, they wouldn't have been able to say half as much. After the first half Pickford could have sat in the stands and watched the other three halves. We were in total control. We will need to improve our decision making and be more clinical if we want to beat the Italians though.

Advert:

It is done now, we are in the final, people can say what they like about soft penalties but we are in the final... I think the Danes gave us a good workout which will help us not get too complacent. Bring it on, we are in the final. did I mention that we are in the final? Only the second time in my lifetime and I don't really remember the first. 

14 minutes ago, Beech said:

I was honestly a bit dissapointed we didn't win by 3 or 4. Because now it gives all those salty anti-Englander's ammunition to use that soft penalty as the only reason why England won. Had we won by two or three, which we could and should have done, they wouldn't have been able to say half as much. After the first half Pickford could have sat in the stands and watched the other three halves. We were in total control. We will need to improve our decision making and be more clinical if we want to beat the Italians though.

The free kick for Denmark's goal was very soft.

Kane should have had a penalty in normal time when he got his heels clipped.

The referee was awful all night and thankfully we won't have him for the final!

Plus, it's been a joke how many times we've been on the end of atrocious refereeing decisions in past tournaments.

Maradona 1986

Sol Campbell vs Argentina 1998

Sol Campbell vs Portugal 2004

Lampard's over the line "goal" vs Germany 2010

There's probably more than I can care to remember on top of that too.

2 minutes ago, valeparklife said:

The free kick for Denmark's goal was very soft.

Kane should have had a penalty in normal time when he got his heels clipped.

The referee was awful all night and thankfully we won't have him for the final!

Plus, it's been a joke how many times we've been on the end of atrocious refereeing decisions in past tournaments.

Maradona 1986

Sol Campbell vs Argentina 1998

Sol Campbell vs Portugal 2004

Lampard's over the line "goal" vs Germany 2010

There's probably more than I can care to remember on top of that too.

But we are still in the final!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5 minutes ago, Beech said:

I think if we had won by 10, those people will still use something as an excuse as to why we won. As mentioned already, we've suffered bad luck in some form over the years. The salty comments on social media is embarrassing. Nobody thought England would get to the final but we've done it, and done it with excellent game management. Something we have never had in my lifetime. 

Italy will be a huge test but they made a number of unforced errors against a Spain side that have lacked firepower so who knows, its a final, lets just enjoy it.

Let the salty ******be salty. We’re there on merit, beat Germany, beat a strong Denmark side and have only conceded one goal which was a direct free kick. I think after they scored last night we completely dominated, I thought we were going to win in normal time, and I think we would have won if that penalty hadn’t been given. We were all over them and had numerous other chances. 

Were hated so they would be salty regardless, most are just Scots jealous of our position and still watching highlights of their 0-0 draw with us. 

Can’t wait for Sunday, they’re a class side (I think stronger than us) but we have home advantage. I think it’s going to be another 1-1 and then added time!! 

Advert:

58 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

Let the salty ******be salty. We’re there on merit, beat Germany, beat a strong Denmark side and have only conceded one goal which was a direct free kick. I think after they scored last night we completely dominated, I thought we were going to win in normal time, and I think we would have won if that penalty hadn’t been given. We were all over them and had numerous other chances. 

Were hated so they would be salty regardless, most are just Scots jealous of our position and still watching highlights of their 0-0 draw with us. 

Can’t wait for Sunday, they’re a class side (I think stronger than us) but we have home advantage. I think it’s going to be another 1-1 and then added time!! 

I think we have the better players than Italy, they have a few but we still have far far more depth which may suit us if it does go to E.T.

Italy were poor against Austria and Spain for the main despite their great defensive record do give away chances. Need to target their centre backs with our pace though rather than lump it as they will have that all day.

Should be a good tie and could really go either way. 

As for the Scots and everyone else... living in their heads rent free. They had their cup final and can celebrate their 0-0 in it all they like whilst we actually try and win an actual cup final.

Archived