Euro 2020

robf

1 hour ago, EricHamesis said:

From what I've read those are the manager's reasons. Agree or disagree as you please, but I think they're understandable.

The last thing most players need at this stage of the season is game time. A rest more likely. The only people needing game time are those who can't have it - i.e. those not yet recovered from injury.

Don't agree there mate. Was a good point made the other night about either last WC or Euro. Austria won 9/10 in qualification and was considered their best team for years 

They went into the tournament  'undercooked ' was the term used. As a result they struggled and got 1 point and were eliminated.

There is a fine balance between too much game time and ring rusty even after only 2 or 3 weeks off . 

Advert:

Slightly off topic but the link for the Euro 2020 prediction league will be promoted on the front page this weekend. It will be free and I hope it will entertain some of you :sums:

9 hours ago, darren1810 said:

Don't agree there mate. Was a good point made the other night about either last WC or Euro. Austria won 9/10 in qualification and was considered their best team for years 

They went into the tournament  'undercooked ' was the term used. As a result they struggled and got 1 point and were eliminated.

There is a fine balance between too much game time and ring rusty even after only 2 or 3 weeks off . 

I thought Austria should have put us to bed this week, but seem to be limited up front. They have a decent defence and hard working midfield. 

9 hours ago, Warren said:

Ronaldo has had it mobility wise. But still good in the box. Opinion based on watching Portugal v Spain tonight. Portugal functional as ever. Spain play good stuff and miss. 

Very high tempo German side looked excellent against the Netherlands as well,should be a good final.

Advert:

10 hours ago, Warren said:

I thought Austria should have put us to bed this week, but seem to be limited up front. They have a decent defence and hard working midfield. 

Being in Austria they have no faith in their manager. Play negative football and don't do the high press that red bull are famous for here. They think getting out of the group stage is a good result 

38 minutes ago, For Us All said:

Very high tempo German side looked excellent against the Netherlands as well,should be a good final.

Germany out in group stages this year. Holland team nowhere near what it once was and if those players were English we would be lamenting how poor our squad was. 

21 hours ago, EricHamesis said:

From what I've read those are the manager's reasons. Agree or disagree as you please, but I think they're understandable.

The last thing most players need at this stage of the season is game time. A rest more likely. The only people needing game time are those who can't have it - i.e. those not yet recovered from injury.

Not sure I agree. The players need time to gel on the pitch as england and as a team rather than a bunch of individuals. These games do worry me though injury wise. Wouldn’t surprise me if someone key gets injured

4 hours ago, WV said:

Germany out in group stages this year. Holland team nowhere near what it once was and if those players were English we would be lamenting how poor our squad was. 

Sorry,I was talking about the U21's.

Advert:

Italy my dark horses, lead by Roberto Mancini. Nobody really talking about them & in phenomenal form, won their last 8 without conceding a single goal.

Seems to be a real club vibe in the Italian squad, which you tend to find the more successful international sides seem to have. 

Anyone who hasn't seen it, their squad announcement was broadcast on live TV & was absolutely insane.

I think England's success will hinge massively on the last 16 game should they make it out of the group as expected. We're looking at a Portugal, Germany, France or Spain scenario. Win that game against any of those sides & the momentum will really build.

Shocking squad by Southgate really. Tomori and Dunk should be going ahead of Mings and Coady. Maguire should never have been taken as if we get knocked out in the Quarters he will probably have played one game maximum. He's a waste of a space in the squad. It's a crime that Ward-Prowse isn't going. I'm a big fan of Henderson but he's barely kicked a ball for months. Ward-Prowse is a tidy player and with the likes of Grealish, Foden, Sterling and Sancho we'll no doubt get tons of free-kicks in dangerous areas, and there's nobody better than him around at set-pieces.

For me Southgate has had a bit of a nightmare, but I can't say I'm surprised.

Advert:

37 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

Agree about Mings.  Waste of space.

Even his Aston Villa partner Konsa is better than him. Mings points and shouts a lot but surely he can't be picked for that reason alone. Coady has also been <ovf censored> for Wolves this season and is another that seems to be going just because of his character, and not because of his actual ability.

Archived