Euro 2020

32 minutes ago, Joe B said:

If Carol had been in charge we'd likely be a Championship club right now. We never would have had the Bruno debacle and we had a squad with a number of talented players + a few saleable assets, with a manager who has clearly improved over the years. 

I'm happy things work out the way they did because we ended up in a good place, but Christ I get angry at what we've had done to us since 2003.

Page must be the first ex-Vale manager to win a competitive International game, will we be putting up a blue plaque on Lorne Street?

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, Santa said:

I was pleased that Moore got that equaliser against the Swiss a few days ago because I wasn't sure if Page had a positive substitution in him.

I'm conflicted about RP; he comes across as a decent bloke and is an intelligent coach, but sometimes our football could be so cautious that it sucked the life out of me.

It was the most uninterested/unexcited I've been watching the Vale, but I think the lack of good striker/rookie caution forced his hand.

Norman was the kind to pull the trigger at the first sign of trouble (Exeter/Maidenhead) and Page probably knew he was working for an egomaniacal, rash, thick man with precious little understanding of long-term football strategy. Being adventurous would have helped but a string of unlucky results in an attacking line up and he'd be out of a job.

Edited by Joe B

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Santa said:

I was pleased that Moore got that equaliser against the Swiss a few days ago because I wasn't sure if Page had a positive substitution in him.

I'm conflicted about RP; he comes across as a decent bloke and is an intelligent coach, but sometimes our football could be so cautious that it sucked the life out of me.

Yeah, I was expecting him to bring Ben Williamson on against Switzerland!

I have the same feelings as you re. Page - we played some wonderful stuff on the odd occasion (home games v Doncaster, Wigan?), but we were bloody boring to watch a lot of the time too - selecting Williamson as the one up front for something like almost 20 consecutive games, despite him not producing a goal.

As others have said though, he did make some very good signings for us at League 1 level.

Edited by The Kalamazoo Kid

Glad to see refs showing the card to blatant diving in this tournament. May it continue into the domestic season,it's ruining our game is cheating-all this crap about "winning fouls and penalties",for goodness sake, let's have one area of modern life where honesty is important,or am I being an old snowflake?

• Like 2

In all the time I've been helping out with the matchday programme, Page is the only manager who wrote his own notes.  They were sent by email before the deadline and never needed any corrections.  He's a bright bloke.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

In all the time I've been helping out with the matchday programme, Page is the only manager who wrote his own notes.  They were sent by email before the deadline and never needed any corrections.  He's a bright bloke.

Then who on earth wrote the other manager's notes? Kit man, turnstile op or fan? How we have moved on, thankfully.

12 hours ago, Jacko51 said:

He certainly is and a pleasure to talk to.

22 hours ago, Aguar61 said:

Then who on earth wrote the other manager's notes? Kit man, turnstile op or fan? How we have moved on, thankfully.

Someone from the media team rings the manager and writes the notes based on the conversation. 

Well we might go on and scrape a win but 1 and a half matches in, I see nothing that suggests we will go far into this tournament and this is down to the negative manager and his tactics.  We have the players but they are not been used correctly.  Why on earth Grealish is not playing I have no idea and what has happened to Kane.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, valefan79 said:

Well we might go on and scrape a win but 1 and a half matches in, I see nothing that suggests we will go far into this tournament and this is down to the negative manager and his tactics.  We have the players but they are not been used correctly.  Why on earth Grealish is not playing I have no idea and what has happened to Kane.

Is he playing ???

1 minute ago, Coyney Valiant said:

Is he playing ???

Only time I noticed he was playing is when he has given it away, I have no doubt that he will go on and score the winner now.

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, VantaaVale said:

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.....

One step forward, five steps back, then hand over possession. No team will win anything playing like this.

Reece James has been f-ing awful - his default EVERY time that he receives the ball is to turn towards his own goal and pass backwards.

Sterling back to his usual self - poor control, poor judgement.

Foden is the only one that looks to go forwards when he gets the ball (perhaps Mount too).

Massive improvement needed for the 2nd half. Being held far too easily by one of the worst teams in the tournament.

Get Grealish on to give us some forward attacking impetus.

And Phillips has been the complete opposite to his performance v Croatia. Get Bellingham on to influence the midfield, as Phillips and Rice have been completely ineffectual.

Edited by The Kalamazoo Kid

Posted (edited)

I just don't understand the tactical play here.

We just keep playing it around the back from side to side. And then when it finally goes forward, there are usually two outcomes:

1) We play it back to the defence again, to start over.

2) We lose possession.

This Scotland team has a history of shooting themselves in the foot when under even the tiniest pressure. And we are just not getting at them.

And Harry Kane... hmm... imo he shouldn't be in the team based on his performances so far. He looks like he has concrete in his boots.

Edited by VantaaVale
  • Like 1