Jump to content

Euro 2020


Recommended Posts

I'm just setting up this topic to discuss the forthcoming Euro 2020 competition.

p.s. there will be a Euro 2020 Prediction League (free entry) coming soon on OVF...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

England have matchwinners, Foden, Kane, Mount, Rashford, Sterling ( woefully out of form ) . 

However the defence is extremely suspect , we can get away with Coady or Mings against Czechs or Scotland. 

The further you go in the tournament they aren't up to it. 

Potential to be England v France or Germany in the last 16 would be a real test of any credentials we might hope to have. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

England have matchwinners, Foden, Kane, Mount, Rashford, Sterling ( woefully out of form ) . 

However the defence is extremely suspect , we can get away with Coady or Mings against Czechs or Scotland. 

The further you go in the tournament they aren't up to it. 

Potential to be England v France or Germany in the last 16 would be a real test of any credentials we might hope to have. 

You are right we do have match winners up front. But we cannot score 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

AA now out of the squad injured. May sound harsh but could be a blessing for us. We’re short in midfielders and genuine forwards if kane isn’t fit where as we have a plenty of players who can play at right back. 
 

I just worry about us defensively. Pickford is a mistake waiting to happen. Mings is not good enough, actually think konsa who plays along side him is a better player. Coady is ok but slow and can only play in a 3. Without mcquire we will struggle at the back. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Massive Alexander-Arnold fan, for me along with Kane and Foden, the 3 world class players that England have.  Despite the loss, could end up been a good thing though as harsh as it sounds sooner Tripper had got injured.  The squad made no sense to me, there were 26 players and we had only 5 central midfielders, Henderson who hasn't kicked a ball since February, Rice who missed all of April, Phillips just recovered from an injury and a 17 year old with next to no international experience.

Striker wise, we have Kane and Calvert-Lewin, Rashford who like Sterling has been really out of form is more of a wide player, so 2 out and out strikers.  I can't believe that there was no room for eith Bamford or Watkins. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Southgate is very negative, I can’t see us winning a trophy with such negativity. If Kane and Grealish are on top form and we can defend then we may do well but we have to be a lot more positive. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Mings, Coady, Phillips, Calvert-Lewin, Ward-Prowse (who will probably get called up now TAA is out - feck knows why.....are they going to bring him on as sub whenever we get a free-kick near the box?!) - none of them are good enough for the top international level.

Pickford, Stones, Walker are all a liability and very likely to give goals away - especially against the better, top-8 teams.

Sterling & Rashford are massively out-of-form, and yet will probably both get picked, as they are favourites of the manager.

Henderson & Maguire probably won't even get on the pitch all tournament, as they are so unready.

The manager is far too cautious and negative with his team selections and tactics. It drives me mad how many times the ball gets played back to, and between, the 2 centre-backs, almost as though we've got Beckenbauer and Bobby Moore playing there for us!)

Its a massive shame that Greenwood & TAA are injured, and that we haven't got a manager bold enough to utilise the attacking talent at his disposal.

Anyway, apart from all of that we are looking OK!

Edited by The Kalamazoo Kid
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, The Kalamazoo Kid said:

Mings, Coady, Phillips, Calvert-Lewin, Ward-Prowse (who will probably get called up now TAA is out - feck knows why.....are they going to bring him on as sub whenever we get a free-kick near the box?!) - none of them are good enough for the top international level.

Pickford, Stones, Walker are all a liability and very likely to give goals away - especially against the better, top-8 teams.

Sterling & Rashford are massively out-of-form, and yet will probably both get picked, as they are favourites of the manager.

Henderson & Maguire probably won't even get on the pitch all tournament, as they are so unready.

The manager is far too cautious and negative with his team selections and tactics. It drives me mad how many times the ball gets played back to, and between, the 2 centre-backs, almost as though we've got Beckenbauer and Booby Moore playing there for us!)

Its a massive shame that Greenwood & TAA are injured, and that we haven't got a manager bold enough to utilise the attacking talent at his disposal.

Anyway, apart from all of that we are looking OK!

Spot on, agree with everything you say there, I have no doubt that come the first game of the group stages, we will see a massively out of form Rashford and Sterling alongside Kane.  We have massive talents in Grealish, Foden, Mount and Sancho who if he was playing in England, supporters would have seen what a quality player he is, however I reckon we will stick to the safety first approach yet again.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, philpvfc said:

Can’t understand why last night he played players that aren’t joining the squad?

Agree, what was the point in playing Lingard when he’s not in the squad for the Euro’s

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, philpvfc said:

Can’t understand why last night he played players that aren’t joining the squad?

Totally agree. 

It's like Whitehead and Theo playing at Kidsgrove and not been seen all season long ( hopefully ) . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, philpvfc said:

Can’t understand why last night he played players that aren’t joining the squad?

1. To give players from the European finals a break.

2. There are players such as Maguire and Henderson who aren't yet recovered from injury.

3. To keep the "reserves" up to speed - one will be needed to replace Alexander Arnold.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, The Kalamazoo Kid said:

Mings, Coady, Phillips, Calvert-Lewin, Ward-Prowse (who will probably get called up now TAA is out - feck knows why.....are they going to bring him on as sub whenever we get a free-kick near the box?!) - none of them are good enough for the top international level.

Pickford, Stones, Walker are all a liability and very likely to give goals away - especially against the better, top-8 teams.

Sterling & Rashford are massively out-of-form, and yet will probably both get picked, as they are favourites of the manager.

Henderson & Maguire probably won't even get on the pitch all tournament, as they are so unready.

The manager is far too cautious and negative with his team selections and tactics. It drives me mad how many times the ball gets played back to, and between, the 2 centre-backs, almost as though we've got Beckenbauer and Bobby Moore playing there for us!)

Its a massive shame that Greenwood & TAA are injured, and that we haven't got a manager bold enough to utilise the attacking talent at his disposal.

Anyway, apart from all of that we are looking OK!

Sterling and Rashford are still recovering from injuries as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, EricHamesis said:

1. To give players from the European finals a break.

2. There are players such as Maguire and Henderson who aren't yet recovered from injury.

3. To keep the "reserves" up to speed - one will be needed to replace Alexander Arnold.

Surely a squad of 26 should have enough players to rotate. I’d rather see the squad having some game time together. Linguard looked like he just wanted to be on holiday. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, philpvfc said:

Surely a squad of 26 should have enough players to rotate. I’d rather see the squad having some game time together. Linguard looked like he just wanted to be on holiday. 

From what I've read those are the manager's reasons. Agree or disagree as you please, but I think they're understandable.

The last thing most players need at this stage of the season is game time. A rest more likely. The only people needing game time are those who can't have it - i.e. those not yet recovered from injury.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Reporting Posts and Ignoring Users

    Admin don't read everything. Don't assume we'll spot rule breaking. Please report posts and we'll act on ASAP. If you're logged in use the orange report post button. If you're not logged in, please use the contact form

    If you can't get on with another user you can "ignore" them. Follow the link, type in their username and save - Click here

    Check with admin if you wish to sell/auction any items. We're happy to support good causes but check first - Contact us here

  • Friends of OVF




×
×
  • Create New...