onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Euro 2020

robf

1 hour ago, valiant_593 said:

Hodgson was absolutely appalling as England manager. Southgate has his shortcomings, he’s too conservative and that’s what I think lost us the final. But he’s a million times better than Hodgson was. Just look at their tournament records. 

Hodgson was the guy who thought it was a good idea to have Harry Kane taking corners!

Advert

I have sympathy for Southgate. As said before, if we win, it's the players, if we lose it's because of Southgate. He can't win even if we do. There is no doubt there is a style of play that is jarring to supporters but it has an efficiency that has achieved a semi-final and a final in consecutive tournaments which is remarkable considering our history. Winning 2 knockout matches in 90 minutes is also incredible and cannot be attributed to just the players.

Everything went wrong in the 2nd half on Sunday though and where England have made progress in a lot of areas, one area that hasn't changed is how we cope when we take an early lead in a big game. First half I thought we were outstanding. I haven't watched the match back yet and I'm not sure how long it will be before I do but I thought we really throttled Italy's attack well, Kane was as good as I've seen him in an England shirt, winning pretty much every aerial duel, bringing the ball down and taking on players deep, it was fantastic to watch, but the wheels came off in the second half and Southgate has to look at it as it's preventing glory. He was set up too defensive in the end, there was no outlet, no creative players on the pitch until it was too late and we needed someone who could hold the ball up to allow our back line to push up.

Overall though, what a ride, what a tournament. Loved every second of it.

Arsene Wenger would be my go to guy after Southgate. He'd fancy it. He also obviously knows the English game like the back of his own hands. It's a no-brainer. If he couldn't get us playing and entertaining then nobody will.

6 hours ago, Paul6754 said:

Southgate has to go otherwise the same process will repeat itself again at the next world cup.

Which process, the one where we get to the final? I'd quite happily see a repeat of that process thanks! 

I genuinely can't believe you're on about sacking a manager after he got us to our first final in 55 years, and only lost on penalties. Of course he's not perfect, but no manager is. If you get a manager who is less cautious, or is an absolute master tactician, you might have to compromise on the man management or other aspects, and end up in a much worse position overall.

Whether you rate him or not, Southgate has got results as England manager, and has the team on an upward trajectory, having picked up the job when we were at our lowest ebb (having lost to Iceland and then having to briefly suffer Big Sam and his pints of wine).

20 minutes ago, Clayts said:

Which process, the one where we get to the final? I'd quite happily see a repeat of that process thanks! 

I genuinely can't believe you're on about sacking a manager after he got us to our first final in 55 years, and only lost on penalties. Of course he's not perfect, but no manager is. If you get a manager who is less cautious, or is an absolute master tactician, you might have to compromise on the man management or other aspects, and end up in a much worse position overall.

Whether you rate him or not, Southgate has got results as England manager, and has the team on an upward trajectory, having picked up the job when we were at our lowest ebb (having lost to Iceland and then having to briefly suffer Big Sam and his pints of wine).

I don't think you will find a better example of the fickle football fan. Ignores the progress, ignores the 55 years its taken to get to final again, the mentality to think of bringing someone else in who might not even get us out of the group is astonishing. 

The players clearly respect him, they believe in what he's trying to do with the team, to even consider removing him from that position is so knee-jerk and is exactly what is wrong with the average football fan - no balance to their views, just get rid, easy. 

2 minutes ago, Rocky said:

I don't think you will find a better example of the fickle football fan. Ignores the progress, ignores the 55 years its taken to get to final again, the mentality to think of bringing someone else in who might not even get us out of the group is astonishing. 

The players clearly respect him, they believe in what he's trying to do with the team, to even consider removing him from that position is so knee-jerk and is exactly what is wrong with the average football fan - no balance to their views, just get rid, easy. 

Very true, football is based on results and we are improving in each major competition with a young team. By all means review the games and talent available, no doubt plenty of advice will be given, but as long as progress is being made carry on with Southgate. There is always someone better until they get in the hot seat.

40 minutes ago, Fosse69 said:

Very true, football is based on results and we are improving in each major competition with a young team. By all means review the games and talent available, no doubt plenty of advice will be given, but as long as progress is being made carry on with Southgate. There is always someone better until they get in the hot seat.

The fact is every time we meet a top 10 team we get beat and Germany apparently are not in the top 10 at the moment 

2 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

Denmark are and we beat them.

And Germany crushed Portugal who are a top 5 team in the same tournament. After that game so many people said they looked fantastic and could get to the final.

We beat them and it's "Not what they used to be" and "poor team".

What we're lacking is that player that knits things together in midfield like a Pirlo or a Modric. Someone that is always available and can dictate the pace of the game.  In the last 2 major tournament defeats we've lost grip in the midfield and given up too much possession.  The very best sides wouldn't give up 2/3 possession to anyone.  It causes us to drop deeper and inevitably the pressure tells. 

I think we're among the best in the world in defence and attack but it lacks that midfield maestro to take us to the top level.  Perhaps Bellingham might be that player eventually? 

We also lack that killer instinct and psychologically we're still not very strong.  We were beaten before the penalty shoot out the other night.  Just looking at the body language of the Italians compared to us.  They didn't look nervous or anxious. 

Having said that, we could have still stumbled over the line.  If Rashford's penalty goes in I think we would have won. There would have been more pressure put on the Italians at that point.  I mean Rashford sent the keeper the wrong way but he was trying to be too precise.  I'd always go for increased power over accuracy as it gives the keeper less time to react.

2 hours ago, leedsvaliant said:

What we're lacking is that player that knits things together in midfield like a Pirlo or a Modric. Someone that is always available and can dictate the pace of the game.  In the last 2 major tournament defeats we've lost grip in the midfield and given up too much possession.  The very best sides wouldn't give up 2/3 possession to anyone.  It causes us to drop deeper and inevitably the pressure tells. 

I think we're among the best in the world in defence and attack but it lacks that midfield maestro to take us to the top level.  Perhaps Bellingham might be that player eventually? 

We also lack that killer instinct and psychologically we're still not very strong.  We were beaten before the penalty shoot out the other night.  Just looking at the body language of the Italians compared to us.  They didn't look nervous or anxious. 

Having said that, we could have still stumbled over the line.  If Rashford's penalty goes in I think we would have won. There would have been more pressure put on the Italians at that point.  I mean Rashford sent the keeper the wrong way but he was trying to be too precise.  I'd always go for increased power over accuracy as it gives the keeper less time to react.

That ridiculous run up to the ball did him no favours 

Archived