onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Euro 2020

robf

1 hour ago, Jacko51 said:

Look back at the start of this thread.  No one predicted we would reach the Final.  It was hard to watch last night but England have had an excellent tournament.

They have indeed both on and off the pitch. 

Advert

1 hour ago, Jacko51 said:

Look back at the start of this thread.  No one predicted we would reach the Final.  It was hard to watch last night but England have had an excellent tournament.

Spot on.We are definitely improving under Gareth and are now progressing from tournament semi-finals to finals.

Roll on the next World Cup.🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

Congratulations to the Azzurri on extending their unbeaten run to 34 games.

4 hours ago, valiant_593 said:

Knew it would happen. Feel sorry for him, shouldn’t have been taking that penalty and the abuse from his so called fans is absolutely disgusting.

We say we have the best fans in the world. They’ve been pretty vile at times this tournament.

Racism, storming Wembley, booing national anthems ect. It’s no wonder we’re hated. Hope they punish all involved. 

The disturbing thing for me is, whoever had missed those penalties they would have suffered abuse the public and press have history in that department and I'm sure that Southgate of all people would have realised that, ( Unless there is a KFC advert in the offering)

The pressure on the lad to take the 5th penalty was immense apparently he doesn't normally take them and to think Grealish wanted to have a go makes you wonder about the back room preparation.

Good game last night and fair play to Italy they were the better side and deserved the win , thought Southgate was to negative can’t understand why grealish didn’t come on till the start of extra time and a mention about the ref who was brilliant let the game flow and didn’t blow every time someone hit the deck wish the refs we get were like that 

14 minutes ago, blackdog said:

The disturbing thing for me is, whoever had missed those penalties they would have suffered abuse the public and press have history in that department and I'm sure that Southgate of all people would have realised that, ( Unless there is a KFC advert in the offering)

The pressure on the lad to take the 5th penalty was immense apparently he doesn't normally take them and to think Grealish wanted to have a go makes you wonder about the back room preparation.

It seems that penalties were practised every day so they would have collected data from those sessions and made their decisions based on that. Grealish has taken one in his professional career about 3 years ago and missed. It looks like Pickford was 6th to take so it wasn't just who was up for it, I can imagine Pickford is decent at penalties too.

Proper bottle job last night by Southgate and the players. Scored early, played football, looked the better team and then suddenly allowed Italy all the time in the world to knock it around. We suddenly stopped doing what was clearly working so well. As soon as they scored it was always going to be extremely difficult, as momentum is everything in football. Only once Chiesa, who was outstanding, went off the game became more equal again. But we created nothing considering the players Southgate had at his disposal.

Southgate lost the game for us last night more than Italy had to win it. We'll never have a better chance and he blew it with his negative approach and woeful use of subs. The game was there to be won had he just been a little more brave.

Well done, England on getting so far, a team and set up that was easy for the neutral to warm to. From the beginning of the tournament Italy were my favourites, another team that was greater than the sum of its parts with much to play for to lift the mood of their nation. I know people are disappointed but the speed with which the team and manager come in for vitriolic abuse on various platforms is headspinning. It reminds me of the bad old days when England’s support assumed a divine right to win things with an assumption they had the best raw materials. In this tournament they’ve been excelllent but there were two or three better teams in the other half of the draw.

The better team won , England stunk the whole tournament out with their anti football. The whole game plan was get the ball to Sterling or Kane ,they would then dive win a free kick and hope to score from it. In one way I’m glad we became a bit more streetwise but those 2 players were embarrassing with their dives.

So sickened by the abuse dished out to the 3 lads who missed. Feel really down today and not even about the result. As much as I hate empty patriotism, I believed that the team's progress in the Euros would possibly change minds or at least get racists to appreciate the positives of our multi-cultural country. I thought that possibly the decrease in the booing of the team taking the knee might mean that people had begun to accept it, perhaps even accept the reasons behind it. But no, all that was happening was a few more coins were added to the bounty, the pressure increased until there were scapegoats, and poisonous witless <ovf censored> could unleash their 'payback'. I really despair. Imagine the mindset it would take to spray racist comments over a mural of Rashford, a man who went out of his way to feed children and spent some of lockdown working in a food bank. What kind of person thinks it's ok to tweet monkey emojis at a 19 year old lad who has probably just experienced the most devastating moment of his life. Really <ovf censored> fed up of this and, as Gary Nevile said, it starts at the top.

1 hour ago, Beech said:

Proper bottle job last night by Southgate and the players. Scored early, played football, looked the better team and then suddenly allowed Italy all the time in the world to knock it around. We suddenly stopped doing what was clearly working so well. As soon as they scored it was always going to be extremely difficult, as momentum is everything in football. Only once Chiesa, who was outstanding, went off the game became more equal again. But we created nothing considering the players Southgate had at his disposal.

Southgate lost the game for us last night more than Italy had to win it. We'll never have a better chance and he blew it with his negative approach and woeful use of subs. The game was there to be won had he just been a little more brave.

Almost a carbon copy of the Croatia Semi-Final from 2018. A fantastic start not capitalised on, and we never really got on the front foot, even when Italy were clearly tiring & seemingly content to let it drift to penalties (as they also did in their semi-final).

At the end of normal time, I shouted out "Come on boys, we should be stronger than them" (.....they obviously couldn't hear me up in the top tier!) - particularly bearing in mind that they had a 70-year-old central-defensive partnership that had gone to extra-time in their previous match. We never really tested them though, bar a couple of runs from a fading Sterling.

As soon as I saw that Foden was a doubt, and then confirmed to not be in the squad, my hopes dropped, as he would have been an ideal option to come off the bench, keep possession and cause them problems in and around their box.

Henderson was poor when he came on, very sloppy and lacking composure in his ball retention and passing. Surely its now time for him to retire/be phased out - especially with the incredible Bellingham ready to be the box-to-box influence that we have been lacking for so long.

The regular inclusions of Bellingham, Foden, Alexander-Arnold, Greenwood should improve us and make us solid contenders to go really Far In Qatar in just 16 months time.

1 hour ago, billybone54 said:

The better team won , England stunk the whole tournament out with their anti football. The whole game plan was get the ball to Sterling or Kane ,they would then dive win a free kick and hope to score from it. In one way I’m glad we became a bit more streetwise but those 2 players were embarrassing with their dives.

In my opinion that is utter rubbish but you are entitled to yours. 

Proud of the team both on and off the pitch. Disgusted but sadly not surprised by some of the yobs who “follow” us and those who have racially abused three young lads for merely missing a penalty.

For me the most consistently impressive side across the tournament has won it but we took them all the way to the lottery of a penalty shootout.

Credit to Italy and Mancini, got their tournament spot on and I personally thought they were better than us on the night. Deserved winners.

Those giving Southgate and any of the players grief need to give their head a wobble. Derided in 2016 after the Iceland defeat we’ve just reached a World Cup semi final (first in 28 years) and Euros final (first ever) in back to back tournaments with an incredibly young squad of talented players. 

5 hours ago, Jacko51 said:

No one predicted England would reach the final because most realized that even though England had first rate players we had a third rate manager and everyone had seen what the third rate manager did to England's chances at the 2018 World Cup and afterward at the Nations Cup (or whatever it was called).

The 2020 Euros were virtually a carbon copy of the 2018 World Cup, last night's outcome was so predictable, especially once England's team was announced. Will Southgate ever learn, the sad reality is he will most likely take the same ideas and approach to the next World Cup where we may not be so fortunate with the draw.

Archived