onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Euro 2020

robf

11 hours ago, Houston Valiant said:

It’s coming home to Rome. 
On pens as well 🤣   . How’s that for karma , Sterling? Another Dutch ref as well. 

Forza Italia 🇮🇹🇮🇹🇮🇹🇮🇹🇮🇹🇮🇹🇮🇹🇮🇹🇮🇹🇮🇹

How to win friends and influence people on the site of the club you ostensibly support, not to mention the damage to your reputation and credibility - which you should think about everytime you post on this site next season.

Advert

18 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

Watching the lack of changes or subs in the second half yesterday was reminiscent of Askey.

DC would have shaken them up for sure! 💪💪

That is what you get when you have a yes man in charge cause he fits the FA .This morning Grealish has said he would take a penalty Southgate ignored that where was Sterling he takes some pens for man city gutless by him hiding he should be one of the first to say its my job not a 19 year old sub .

6 minutes ago, CambridgeDon said:

How to win friends and influence people on the site of the club you ostensibly support, not to mention the damage to your reputation and credibility - which you should think about everytime you post on this site next season.

What reputation and credibility? He’s a Trump cult moron who posted on here last year what “common sense” it would be for America to simply ban Muslims from entering. We’re not exactly dealing with a learned mastermind here. 

3 minutes ago, CambridgeDon said:

Finally a word for the Italians: a ruthlessly cynical outfit who, as soon as they realised they had a weak ref, exploited it to the full. They may have been the better footballing side on the night but they have simply cemented their unenviable international reputation as the the purveyors of foul play. How they still had 11 men on the pitch at the end is beyond me.

Agree totally. Chiellini basically assaulted Saka and the tackle on Grealish was a cast iron red card in my view.

Hard to criticise looking at the tournament objectively. Only conceded 2 goals in 7 games, took the final to penalties, I'm not saying we would have scored the penalties we had missed but the team's chances increase if you take the first penalty and Italy won the toss in both the semi-final and final. Could have gone either way.

Easy to say Southgate should have brought on Grealish sooner but his lack of playing time isn't due to his ability on the ball, it's his slowness in pressing when we don't have it. And England were struggling to keep possession, there were a lot of unforced errors in the second half. What I have noticed in the tournament is when England have won, the majority of fans say it's because of the players, when we lost, it's the manager. Some things in football never change.

An incredible achievement, in time it will become clearer as to how good this was. 5 years ago we were knocked out by Iceland, our lowest low. We've followed up a semi final in the World Cup with a final in the Euros. Regardless of whether you disagree with the tactics, they are the facts and there were many times I thought I would never see England in a final, I'll take it.

11 minutes ago, Rocky said:

Hard to criticise looking at the tournament objectively. Only conceded 2 goals in 7 games, took the final to penalties, I'm not saying we would have scored the penalties we had missed but the team's chances increase if you take the first penalty and Italy won the toss in both the semi-final and final. Could have gone either way.

Easy to say Southgate should have brought on Grealish sooner but his lack of playing time isn't due to his ability on the ball, it's his slowness in pressing when we don't have it. And England were struggling to keep possession, there were a lot of unforced errors in the second half. What I have noticed in the tournament is when England have won, the majority of fans say it's because of the players, when we lost, it's the manager. Some things in football never change.

An incredible achievement, in time it will become clearer as to how good this was. 5 years ago we were knocked out by Iceland, our lowest low. We've followed up a semi final in the World Cup with a final in the Euros. Regardless of whether you disagree with the tactics, they are the facts and there were many times I thought I would never see England in a final, I'll take it.

Progress is being made,  the next target is the World Cup Final.  Please try to avoid penalty shoot-outs.

52 minutes ago, ginge said:

Saka has never taken a penalty in his professional career. Yet he was given the pressure of being 5th taker. 

You don't know that he was "given the pressure" or if he volunteered for it.

Personally, I think you ought to be asking who wants to take one, rather than dumping the responsibility on people.

Devastating and the worst possible way to lose but once the raw emotion clears we will look back on a memorable summer.

This is such a young squad and the disgusting comments are bang out of order to these players, I hope it doesn't destroy them because we have a team now that could mature into a squad capable to winning tournaments for the next 6-8 years.

From the pain of the 2014 World Cup and 2016 Euros to Iceland we've reached the World Cup Semi Final (lost ET), Nations League Semi (Lost ET) and Euro 2020 Final (lost pens).

Fine margins but we need to take this pain and channel it ahead of Qatar and try and go that one step further. Last night wasn't the end of the journey but the start of a very bright future you feel with the squad we have and age of it.

1 hour ago, ginge said:

Saka has never taken a penalty in his professional career. Yet he was given the pressure of being 5th taker. 

On reflection I don't think it matters. Easy to question if it goes wrong. People saying he is only 19, he shouldn't have been put in that position. If age is an issue then he shouldn't even be at the tournament. This team have been fearless and he stepped up to take it, if he scores it nobody is going to question why he was put in that position. 

1 hour ago, Doha said:

What reputation and credibility? He’s a Trump cult moron who posted on here last year what “common sense” it would be for America to simply ban Muslims from entering. We’re not exactly dealing with a learned mastermind here. 

Just thinking. Perhaps we should claim the match was stolen and England really won it. Let’s demand a recount and while you’re at it, can you send me a tenner to help with my campaign?

54 minutes ago, Fozza19 said:

You don't know that he was "given the pressure" or if he volunteered for it.

Personally, I think you ought to be asking who wants to take one, rather than dumping the responsibility on people.

I have not dumped the responsibility on anyone. I was just making the point that for someone who has not taken a professional penalty maybe should not be 5th to take one with the pressure that the 5th position penalty comes with. 

Great article that 

Typical of Southgate as well to say he made the decisions, so it's on him, showing how a real leader takes responsibility (as a counterweight, see Mourinho mentioning Shaw, one of the players of the tournament, in his list of senior players who 'didn't step forward'). For all people talk of Southgate's caution (I prefer to say pragmatism, but it's a fair enough charge), he's a great leader and example, and the team spirit is better now than I can ever remember, with no factions, and youth being given a chance. Are substitutions his biggest weakness? Possibly, but you'd have said the same about Rudgie.

We made the final of the Euros, (and only lost on pens to arguably the best team in the world right now), and the semis of the WC, something the talented squads of the 2000s never managed, so to say it's 'in spite' of Southgate, as opposed to crediting him for any success, is nonsense.

Archived