onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Euro 2020

robf

Advert

2 minutes ago, andy jones said:

Why allow a young inexperienced teenager to take the penalty?

Unbelievable pressure on the kid.

Doubt we'll ever know but wonder if some bottled it ? 

Where was Sterling for example ? Reminds me of big time Guvnor Ince bottling it years ago. 

Fair play to Saka for having the bottle. 

4 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

At the start of this tournament I wouldn’t have been surprised if we hadn’t got out of the group. Yet we got to the final and held the best team in the tournament for two hours. Not a bad outcome in the end. 

For me it would have been complete failure not to get out of the group when we been playing all the games at Wembley.  Yes football not played on paper but look at our team and I would not swap that squad of players for anyone else.  The full backs are as good as any other country, Maguire and Stones up there with anyone else as a partnership.  No other team has got attacking talent the likes of Sancho, Foden, Grealish, Rashford waiting in the wings. 

I never expected to have so little possession of the ball as we did tonight, if it was against Spain I could get that but not Italy.  It sounds harsh when Southgate has taken us to World Cup Semi Final and Euros Final but we didnt seem to learn from that Croatia game 2 years ago, early goal, looked on top for 20 minutes but then became negative and instead of looking to get the second tried to see the game out.

5 minutes ago, andy jones said:

Thought Mancini bossed the management of the game. He asked questions of England and when they finally came on our subs were inept.

Well done Italy. 

For me if we had Mancini managing our set of players we would have won that tonight. 

Southgate lost us that game more than Italy had to win it. Awful, awful subs. Wrong players at the wrong times. As good as he's done and as sound we are at the back, only conceding a set piece and a rather unfortunate goal all tournament, he still doesn't have much of a clue how to get the best from a bunch of very talented attacking players. With the players we have we should be creating a bundle of chances but we simply don't. I think he's done a great job all in all and should be given loads of credit. But someone with a bit more courage is needed I feel to take us over that final hurdle.

6 hours ago, valefan79 said:

For me it would have been complete failure not to get out of the group when we been playing all the games at Wembley.  Yes football not played on paper but look at our team and I would not swap that squad of players for anyone else.  The full backs are as good as any other country, Maguire and Stones up there with anyone else as a partnership.  No other team has got attacking talent the likes of Sancho, Foden, Grealish, Rashford waiting in the wings. 

I never expected to have so little possession of the ball as we did tonight, if it was against Spain I could get that but not Italy.  It sounds harsh when Southgate has taken us to World Cup Semi Final and Euros Final but we didnt seem to learn from that Croatia game 2 years ago, early goal, looked on top for 20 minutes but then became negative and instead of looking to get the second tried to see the game out.

Attacking talent like Sancho, Foden, Grealish and Rashford,

trouble is they were all getting splinters in their backsides.

7 hours ago, andy jones said:

Really poor Management by Southgate tonight.

If you want to substitute players to bring on penalty takers it's not a good idea to leave it so late that their first kick is the actual penalty.

Exactly what I said when he brought them on…..should have come on with at least 5 minutes to play so they can get rid of any nerves, to have your first kick of the ball to be a penalty in the Euro final is crazy. 
I’m not going to complain too much at Southgate as he has done a tremendous job to get us to the final but for 90 minutes Italy dominated when we sat back but when we actually came at them in extra time it looked that Italy actually wanted penalties, bar Sterling a few times and Sakko a couple of times we did not run at their defence which when we did Italy really struggled, Grealish should have come on shortly after half time for Mount who did nothing (again), Italy were sat on 3 bookings, Grealish would have caused some serious problems for their defence.

Shame the World Cup is in Doha, cannot see us doing too much in that climate. 

1 hour ago, geosname said:

According to the missus England switched off very early on and didn't really do much up front.

Wouldn’t say switched off, more resorted to Southgates tactics of get everyone behind the ball, let Italy have the possession but don’t give away any chances and for most the game it worked but inevitably Italy got their chance and buried it, we didn’t give them many other chances. Once we came at them we did look more likely to score of the 2 teams. 

Gutted. Southgate got it wrong last night. Thought we were excellent for 20 minutes then dropped deeper and deeper just asking Italy to score. Defended really well but a goal was always going to come. He should have made the change early as we were always going to concede but left it too late to get saka on (would have gone with sancho or grealish myself). Manchini made the subs to try and win the game and we just didn’t react and it cost us. Thought we did well in the extra 30 minutes, however again subs far too late. 

Was obvious as hell that sancho and rashford would miss. Bringing players on that have had no involvement in the game just to take a penalty does not work. Disappointed for saka it was an awful penalty but why is someone of his age and experience taking the last penalty? Where is Sterling? Grealish? Did they bottle it? Think it’s really poor that Sterling didn’t take one yet McGuire had to. 

I thought there were some excellent individual performances. Rice, Pickford, Phillips and McGuire I thought were all fantastic, shaw as well. We did well to get to the final but it still feels like a missed opportunity with all of that talent wasted on the bench, a more creative manager and we would have won that. Worst performance of the tournament has to go to Henderson. What a <ovf censored> show that was, and you have Bellingham sat there on bench!!! 

There’s always next time where it will probably be very similar! 

Sterling didn’t take a penalty in the last shoot out he was involved in, can’t remember if it was for City or England. I would expect him to miss anyway. Before the shoot out Southgate asked Grealish something and he nodded, I thought he was going to be one of the takers. 

Archived