onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Euro 2020

robf

Advert

15 minutes ago, Mario said:
22 minutes ago, Playa Amodores said:
Well folks I chose to watch Scotland, good entertaining game and a Modric masterclass. Fair play they never gave up 

Good old plucky Scotland never mind they did well in their 0-0 win against England

Scotland Population 5.4 Million, England Population 56 Million, surely a disgrace that England did not thump them by 10 goals. 

7 points out of 9, none conceded. Only English people could really find something to moan about. If it was Germany or Portugal the same people would no doubt be saying how wonderfully efficient they are, and that they'll step it up when they really need to. Croatia and the Czech's are both good sides. Some people seem to think that if a team isn't Brazil, France or Germany then we should be beating them by 3 or 4. It's ridiculous. If Croatia beat one of the favourites in the next round maybe a few people will suddenly realise that they're not a poor side just because England beat them.

The 2nd half was a poor spectacle as we decided to see the game out and the Czech's couldn't make much of a dent in our back line in the second 45 minutes. There's much more to come hopefully performance wise, but why does the old saying that good teams win even if they don't play particularly well suddenly not apply to England?

I thought Pickford, Stones and the returning Maguire were rock solid. The in form Schick didn't get a kick. Saka was excellent and surely has to start in the next game whoever we play. Grealish and Sterling also played well in the first half before we really took our foot off the gas and let them have the ball. Kane looked more like his old self too at times, although he should have scored his first half chance.

Job done. Now we need to play well for 90 minutes if we have a shot of staying in the tournament.

4 hours ago, valiant_593 said:

That starting 11 is a complete disgrace. What has saka done that’s better than sancho? The the two CDMs again. Mings arguably our best player so far (two clean sheets also) and dropped for an unfit McGuire. I find it really odd

where is Foden?!?! Horrible 11, think he’s playing to not win the group 

That's aged well

On 18/06/2021 at 23:44, Loggerheads Sage said:

And yet we should go through and Scotland will probably go out.

They are celebrating like they have won the world cup because they didn't lose to England,  lol.

Apparently we have not conceded in 7 of our last 8 games now.  

Wish I'd had a bet!  8 out of 9 now

26 minutes ago, Loggerheads Sage said:

That's aged well

Well that’s generally what happens before a game.... it goes one way or the other. At the end of the day we beat an ok side. I still don’t think we needed two CDMs, I still think it’s very harsh to have dropped mings (who Southgate said himself has been colossal). Saka played really well, I never said he wouldn’t? Just statistically sancho would be the go to player. Foden rested but easily makes our best 11. Really not sure what your point is?  I still thought with that 11 we would win the game comfortably but I hope in tougher games we don’t start like that. 

1 hour ago, Beech said:

7 points out of 9, none conceded. Only English people could really find something to moan about. If it was Germany or Portugal the same people would no doubt be saying how wonderfully efficient they are, and that they'll step it up when they really need to. Croatia and the Czech's are both good sides. Some people seem to think that if a team isn't Brazil, France or Germany then we should be beating them by 3 or 4. It's ridiculous. If Croatia beat one of the favourites in the next round maybe a few people will suddenly realise that they're not a poor side just because England beat them.

The 2nd half was a poor spectacle as we decided to see the game out and the Czech's couldn't make much of a dent in our back line in the second 45 minutes. There's much more to come hopefully performance wise, but why does the old saying that good teams win even if they don't play particularly well suddenly not apply to England?

I thought Pickford, Stones and the returning Maguire were rock solid. The in form Schick didn't get a kick. Saka was excellent and surely has to start in the next game whoever we play. Grealish and Sterling also played well in the first half before we really took our foot off the gas and let them have the ball. Kane looked more like his old self too at times, although he should have scored his first half chance.

Job done. Now we need to play well for 90 minutes if we have a shot of staying in the tournament.

Maybe I am being too negative and harsh on them but this safety first negative approach is unlikely to get us to where we want to be.  I feel we have a team who if managed properly could be one of the best teams in the world, look at the players, James, Alexander-Arnold (although injured), Chilwell, Maguire, Stones, Mount, Grealish, Sancho, Bellingham, Kane, Sterling, Foden, these are all class players.  I would not swap any squad other than France.  I used to love watching England play, being to many games at Wembley before getting bored after the world cup in 2014.  

If we go on to beat France, Germany or Portugal, I will happily come on here on Tuesday and say well done Gareth and the boys but it is painful to watch at the minute and unless we go far this will not be justified this negative approach.  I have watched Holland's 3 matches and they have a far inferior squad to us but they are exciting to watch, scoring goals and seeing their players with a smile on their face and seem to enjoy playing for the manager.

12 minutes ago, valefan79 said:

Maybe I am being too negative and harsh on them but this safety first negative approach is unlikely to get us to where we want to be.  I feel we have a team who if managed properly could be one of the best teams in the world, look at the players, James, Alexander-Arnold (although injured), Chilwell, Maguire, Stones, Mount, Grealish, Sancho, Bellingham, Kane, Sterling, Foden, these are all class players.  I would not swap any squad other than France.  I used to love watching England play, being to many games at Wembley before getting bored after the world cup in 2014.  

If we go on to beat France, Germany or Portugal, I will happily come on here on Tuesday and say well done Gareth and the boys but it is painful to watch at the minute and unless we go far this will not be justified this negative approach.  I have watched Holland's 3 matches and they have a far inferior squad to us but they are exciting to watch, scoring goals and seeing their players with a smile on their face and seem to enjoy playing for the manager.

Our attack, on paper, is as good as most. But teams rarely win anything without a good defence and you can't blame Southgate for his cautious approach. We should have been more attacking against Scotland, but considering Maguire only came back tonight, and both Stones and Walker regularly have brain farts, you can't argue with the fact that we're still yet to concede a goal. The Croatians and Czech's aren't mugs.

Netherlands might be entertaining but they almost blew it against Ukraine, an average team, and since then have beat an average Austrian side and a poor Macedonian team, arguably the weakest in the tournament. If we were in that group I believe we would have scored more than the two we've managed so far, 100%. I do think at times we're too content with knocking the ball about at a really slow pace, and the lack of out and out chances is a concern, but we won't have chance to do this against the top sides we're about to play. They'll press us better than the team we've played so far and we'll have to play at a quicker tempo. I believe we have another gear or two to go into, and now we need to do that, otherwise we'll be getting knocked out. Simple as that.

I like to think we've just done enough in these group games and the players know full well that they really have to step it up now. Time will tell.

Instead of the two DM’s I would rather see three at the back giving the fullbacks license to push on. All our fullbacks are good attacking players who are shackled when playing a back four. Stones, a fit Maguire & Mings are a solid back three. Our flair players Foden, Grealish, Sako, Mount, then have scope to get around Kane to support…. none are wing men.

20 hours ago, jeffers said:

Ok so Mount & Chilwell have got to isolate because they were in close contact with Billy Gilmour, I'm sure when Gilmour left the field he was hugged & congratulated by Steve Clarke..... how come he is not isolating. I dare say there were a few hugs & congratulations in the Scotland dressing room. Not heard Nicola "Krankie" passing judgement either.

I also gather that Michael Gove, on his return from the champions league final, was caught up on track & trace. Now to avoid any isolation as the rest of the country is required to do, he agreed to a daily lateral flow test. Don't the England squad already have daily lateral flow tests & PCR tests. 

Is there different interpretations of the rules depending who you are.

For some strange reason the Sturgeon only passes judgement when Rangers fans celebrate?

14 hours ago, Fosse69 said:

Scotland Population 5.4 Million, England Population 56 Million, surely a disgrace that England did not thump them by 10 goals. 

Imagine losing to Iceland

Archived