onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Euro 2020

robf

Advert

46 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

The most frustrating thing for me was the subs. We have quality players sat there on the bench for games like this. Why weren’t Bellingham and sancho used?  DCL for Kane? Instead we play 90 mins with two CDMs. Dreadful all round really. Was impressed with mings again though. 

It is testament to Mings that for me he is our player of the tournament.

But the fact that he is is a damning indictment of the rest of them. 

Pickford has also been good. 

4 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

It is testament to Mings that for me he is our player of the tournament.

But the fact that he is is a damning indictment of the rest of them. 

Pickford has also been good. 

Agree, he played well last night. Just shows how off the standard we are 

Perhaps it’s time to look at what result we need against Czech Republic, to assist us in avoiding the better teams so that we can get as far as we can in the tournament. This will allow us to talk about it for the next few years.
Still to win a tournament it’s not always the best team that wins it, it’s more about togetherness, ie Denmark and Greece. I’d imagine that after last night, the value of Billy Gilmour has skyrocketed. 

Thought Pickford, Foden & Mings played well. James, Rice, Phillips & Kane were awful, the rest were very average. Southgate is clueless but the press love him, that is why he is England manager, playing 2 defensive midfielders against Scotland, taking our best attacking player on the night off, taking Kane off (which I agreed with) but replacing him with an out of form wide player. And that is why we will never win a trophy under Southgate 

1 minute ago, Playa Amodores said:

Perhaps it’s time to look at what result we need against Czech Republic, to assist us in avoiding the better teams so that we can get as far as we can in the tournament. This will allow us to talk about it for the next few years.
Still to win a tournament it’s not always the best team that wins it, it’s more about togetherness, ie Denmark and Greece. I’d imagine that after last night, the value of Billy Gilmour has skyrocketed. 

A draw against the Czechs is a dead cert, both will go through with them finishing top of the group. It does not matter where we finish really, because just like in the World Cup we will lose to anyone decent. 

My take on last night was that, yes, we've got some class players but only when conditions are perfect.

By that I mean that even the Premierleague has now become completely sanitised with tika taka football and that these lads can't comprehend it that they can come up against sides that are going to be physical.  You can go three months now without seeing a tackle in the Premierleague.

I'm not saying Scotland were a dirty side, I didn't think they were last night.  But they did overpower us and I give them credit for it.  Also agreed with Graeme Souness (forgive me lord) that their midfield got on top of ours and played decent stuff.  I'd have McGinn in our team.

People blaming systems for Harry Kane's performance, Tottenham play that system don't they? Two wide forwards with another two in the middle? He's suffering from that end of season knock most likely and Southgate has got a dilemma there.  The lad's a goal machine but he isn't right at the minute.  

I don't think its complicated, I just think we came up against a side who weren't going to let us off easily and we weren't up to that challenge.

Which is very disappointing indeed.

10 hours ago, Jacko51 said:

Some of you may be old enough to remember Italy’s performances in the first group stage of the 82 World Cup. They were abject - scored 2 goals in 3 games.  They qualified in second place behind Poland by having scored one more goal than Cameroon. They were pilloried in the Italian press. Then they won the cup!!

Nothing to worry about yet,Spain lost their first game to Switzerland and still went on to win the World Cup in 2010.

Most teams will throw in one inept performance in a tournament, hopefully this was ours, and better to do it in the group stages. It was always going to be Scotland's cup final and I'd been predicting a draw all week, but even when proven right it's still extremely dissapointing to watch us play in the way we did with all of the attacking talent that we have.

Playing Rice and Phillips together in games you're expected to win is a big no. But that's one of the problems. Southgate treats all of our opponents as if they are Portugal or something, and shows far too much respect. His two substitutions last night were awful too. In a game where you're struggling to create and the onus is on you, as the home side and the favourites, to win the game, why would you take Foden off? He's yet to really ignite in the tournament but he was still our biggest threat last night. Any none cautious manager would have whipped Phillips off, played Foden centrally and bought on Grealish. Also replacing Kane for Rashford was a ridiculous decision too. Every United supporter around will tell you that Rashford is hopeless as a lone striker. I know this despite not being a United fan. Why doesn't Southgate? Kane looks miles off it and if you want to take him off to give him a kick up the arse, fine, but you replace him with Calvert-Lewin, not Rashford.

That said, beat the Czech's on Tuesday and put in a good performance and this will quickly be forgotten. At the end of the day we've got four points and are yet to concede despite playing nowhere near to what we should be capable of yet in either game. Hopefully we'll see the likes of Bellingham and Sancho next week.

That has to be one of the most abject, uninspiring, negative England performances I’ve seen for a good while. Although it’s hardly surprising with Southgate as manager, his interviews are so uninteresting it sounds at times like he’s boring himself. Two DM’s, why?? 

The praise we got after narrowly beating a poor Croatian side was way over the top. Yes, Modric and Perisic are still class, but they are 3 years past their peak. Fair play to Scotland, but the again wildly OTT celebrations show the extent of their ambitions.

Standby for another snorefest against the Czechs on Tuesday given a draw will send both through. I really hope it’s on ITV as I think I’ll go with EastEnders instead. I’ll tune in for the inevitable exit in the first knock out game.

Southgate has to go after this tournament.

Phillips wasn't playing as a defensive midfielder last night. He was just extremely safe (negative) in his passing and didn't offer any creativity whatsoever. But he was clearly playing ahead of Rice on the pitch.

4 hours ago, Paul6754 said:

Mr 5 yard sideways and backwards pass Rice ain't gonna do it neither is Mr journey man Phillips although I must admit he's the best hope in that starting eleven.

Agree re Rice, and no way should both be starting together unless you are playing a team whose entire strength lies in midfield, (e.g. Croatia, where it worked well), but calling Phillips a journeyman is a bit weird, given he's young, clearly talented, and only ever played for one club.

The problem is Kane, who even if he was 100% fit instead of looking slow and ponderous would be the wrong fit (now) for this team, since he's started dropping deeper. We need a striker who will stretch/turn the defence to create space for Mount/Foden/Grealish to get on the ball and create, not one who always drops into that space.

17 minutes ago, Biddulph_PV said:

That has to be one of the most abject, uninspiring, negative England performances I’ve seen for a good while. Although it’s hardly surprising with Southgate as manager, his interviews are so uninteresting it sounds at times like he’s boring himself. Two DM’s, why?? 

The praise we got after narrowly beating a poor Croatian side was way over the top. Yes, Modric and Perisic are still class, but they are 3 years past their peak. Fair play to Scotland, but the again wildly OTT celebrations show the extent of their ambitions.

Standby for another snorefest against the Czechs on Tuesday given a draw will send both through. I really hope it’s on ITV as I think I’ll go with EastEnders instead. I’ll tune in for the inevitable exit in the first knock out game.

Southgate has to go after this tournament.

From what I know of Gareth Southgate, I do like him as a person, however he looks a beaten man which can’t be very good for his health and wellbeing. I’d say that he should step down after the tournament but who would replace him.? Also would that person have to tow the FA line. I watched the Jack Charlton documentary and he applied for the England job and never even got a reply. When England played Ireland apparently the head of the FA mocked Ireland for giving Jack the managers job, the rest is history. The FA need to reform instead of living in the dark ages.

Archived