onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Euro 2020

robf

12 hours ago, Jacko51 said:

I wonder where we'd be now with the Shanahans in charge and Page in the dugout?!

If Carol had been in charge we'd likely be a Championship club right now. We never would have had the Bruno debacle and we had a squad with a number of talented players + a few saleable assets, with a manager who has clearly improved over the years. 

I'm happy things work out the way they did because we ended up in a good place, but Christ I get angry at what we've had done to us since 2003.

Advert

31 minutes ago, Joe B said:

So impressed with Page. Great tactical set up so far and looks to escape a tricky group.

Listening to him talk there is a perfect blend of intelligence + grit; he doesn't sound like a pushover, but also doesn't sound like a thick bully. Everyone who has worked with and for him only has positives things to say about him

He was negative at times with us but it was his first season in charge and its understandable he was safety first. His recruitment was the best we've had since the mid 00s and I think there is a genuine top class manager in there.

No idea what happened at Northampton but he's already proven, in his first season, that he can organise a team, recruit well, and compete in the top half of League 1. I think there will be a few bigger clubs sniffing around him if Wales have a decent run.

I was pleased that Moore got that equaliser against the Swiss a few days ago because I wasn't sure if Page had a positive substitution in him.

I'm conflicted about RP; he comes across as a decent bloke and is an intelligent coach, but sometimes our football could be so cautious that it sucked the life out of me.

32 minutes ago, Joe B said:

If Carol had been in charge we'd likely be a Championship club right now. We never would have had the Bruno debacle and we had a squad with a number of talented players + a few saleable assets, with a manager who has clearly improved over the years. 

I'm happy things work out the way they did because we ended up in a good place, but Christ I get angry at what we've had done to us since 2003.

Page must be the first ex-Vale manager to win a competitive International game, will we be putting up a blue plaque on Lorne Street?

42 minutes ago, Santa said:

I was pleased that Moore got that equaliser against the Swiss a few days ago because I wasn't sure if Page had a positive substitution in him.

I'm conflicted about RP; he comes across as a decent bloke and is an intelligent coach, but sometimes our football could be so cautious that it sucked the life out of me.

It was the most uninterested/unexcited I've been watching the Vale, but I think the lack of good striker/rookie caution forced his hand.

Norman was the kind to pull the trigger at the first sign of trouble (Exeter/Maidenhead) and Page probably knew he was working for an egomaniacal, rash, thick man with precious little understanding of long-term football strategy. Being adventurous would have helped but a string of unlucky results in an attacking line up and he'd be out of a job.

7 hours ago, Santa said:

Yeah, I was expecting him to bring Ben Williamson on against Switzerland!

I have the same feelings as you re. Page - we played some wonderful stuff on the odd occasion (home games v Doncaster, Wigan?), but we were bloody boring to watch a lot of the time too - selecting Williamson as the one up front for something like almost 20 consecutive games, despite him not producing a goal.

As others have said though, he did make some very good signings for us at League 1 level.

Glad to see refs showing the card to blatant diving in this tournament. May it continue into the domestic season,it's ruining our game is cheating-all this crap about "winning fouls and penalties",for goodness sake, let's have one area of modern life where honesty is important,or am I being an old snowflake?

2 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

In all the time I've been helping out with the matchday programme, Page is the only manager who wrote his own notes.  They were sent by email before the deadline and never needed any corrections.  He's a bright bloke.

Then who on earth wrote the other manager's notes? Kit man, turnstile op or fan? How we have moved on, thankfully.

12 hours ago, Jacko51 said:

In all the time I've been helping out with the matchday programme, Page is the only manager who wrote his own notes.  They were sent by email before the deadline and never needed any corrections.  He's a bright bloke.

He certainly is and a pleasure to talk to.

22 hours ago, Aguar61 said:

Then who on earth wrote the other manager's notes? Kit man, turnstile op or fan? How we have moved on, thankfully.

Someone from the media team rings the manager and writes the notes based on the conversation. 

Well we might go on and scrape a win but 1 and a half matches in, I see nothing that suggests we will go far into this tournament and this is down to the negative manager and his tactics.  We have the players but they are not been used correctly.  Why on earth Grealish is not playing I have no idea and what has happened to Kane.

Archived