onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Euro 2020

robf

10 minutes ago, philpvfc said:

Phillips was excellent but looked shattered in the last quarter of an hour and should have been subbed. Mount was the only one to have a quieter game than Kane. Sterling always makes great runs and is second to none off the ball, it’s his final pass or finish that lets him down, Foden had a good first half but didn’t do much in the second. Trippier despite having a decent game was our obvious weak link in defence and will be found out if we continue with him at left back. 

Don’t agree with trippier though he was good and 100x better than Kyle Walker who was really poor. Mount did so much off the ball pressing, thought he was great. Kane and Walker the two poor performers IMO (not saying I would play trippier there over the likes of shaw) 

Advert

1 hour ago, valiant_593 said:

Phillips? Phillips and mount made countless forward runs. As did Sterling and foden. Thought trippier was solid at left back as well

Phillips had a decent game but what would Bellingham do in his or Rice's position? Mount and Foden were generally quiet apart from Foden's shot against the post and it looked to me that Gealish was about to be bought on for Sterling just before he scored. Perhaps I expect too much from Sterling and if he's gonna work for England he needs to be given free reign and get his confidence back pronto.

Trippier can be more than solid if played on the right, Shaw or Chilwell are natural left footers.

England did start with a high press but for some reason it stopped and after we scored we sat back and allowed them back into the game and they created some chances.

1 hour ago, WV said:

Aren't the world Cup finalists a good team? They were when they beat us but not when we beat them? Maybe we just made them look poor. It was too hot (28c) to press all game and we slowed it down when we needed a rest. Croatia never looked like scoring and we could have had 2 or 3 more on another day. Its the first time we have won an opening game at the euros you would have thought people might be a bit more positive. No pleasing some.

That wasn't the same team which got to the WC Finals, Mandzukic their main striker was missing and Rakitic the Barcelona midfield player wasn't playing, both influential payers and a huge loss. Thankfully, they were toothless up front on Sunday.

The high press stopped in the 1st half and we started the 2nd half disjointed and lack lustre and it looked to me Southgate was about to make changes to freshen it up.

It's just my opinion that there's so much more in this group of players than Southgate will ever get out of them, the same could be said of the England players at the last world cup.

Sweden must be the most boring team in history. 

They have one "tactic" tonight, which is to get everyman behind the ball and hope. 

Spain just need to up the pace a little and put Sweden more on the back foot and they will win comfortably. 

But Sweden, my God! At least have a go for heaven's sake! 

1 hour ago, valiant_593 said:

Don’t agree with trippier though he was good and 100x better than Kyle Walker who was really poor. Mount did so much off the ball pressing, thought he was great. Kane and Walker the two poor performers IMO (not saying I would play trippier there over the likes of shaw) 

I thought Walkers passing was horrendous but his defensive work was excellent. They were walking past Trippier for the first 20 minutes but he did improve after a poor start. Agree with the fact that Kane was poor, just wasn’t in the game but they same could be said for Calvert-Lewin so perhaps that’s because Croatia packed the central defensive area, disagree with Mount, I thought both Sterling and Foden pressed more and were in the game a lot more than Mount.

They have one "tactic" tonight, which is to get everyman behind the ball and hope. 
Spain just need to up the pace a little and put Sweden more on the back foot and they will win comfortably. 
Sounds like us under Aspin. 9-0-1. Spain have all the pretty little passes and you criticise Sweden but Spain are just as one dimensional. Pass from the back, move sideways then forward, back again, forward, get it out wide, cross. Repeat. Toothless.

Sounds like us under Aspin. 9-0-1. Spain have all the pretty little passes and you criticise Sweden but Spain are just as one dimensional. Pass from the back, move sideways then forward, back again, forward, get it out wide, cross. Repeat. Toothless.

Spain looked bang average, a far cry from a decade ago.

Sweden in fairness dug in and had two great chances. This four best third teams progressing from the group stage does make it more negative though.

16 hours ago, Paul6754 said:

England did just enough, they did what they had to do and got the win. However with a better manager and tactics they could do much better.

Walker was dire, Trippier doesn't look comfortable and is only half the player on the left hand side. The whole outlook and play of the midfield and forwards just seems too defensive, predictable, lacks urgency  and leads to much square and back passing. Without Bellingham there's no dictator of play in the midfield and with no Grealish there's no one to play the short passes and open up defenses.

I just see deja vu all over again, as soon as we meet a good team England will be found out. I'd rather England try to be more enterprising and pick the players in form and go for it rather the same old Southgate tactics.

We've just played a good team and won pretty comfortably.

Croatia still have some excellent players like Modric, Perisic, Brozovic, Kovacic and Kramaric. If for some reason you're not counting Croatia as a good team now just because they aren't as strong as they were in 2018, then that's a bit daft.

15 hours ago, Paul6754 said:

Phillips had a decent game but what would Bellingham do in his or Rice's position? Mount and Foden were generally quiet apart from Foden's shot against the post and it looked to me that Gealish was about to be bought on for Sterling just before he scored. Perhaps I expect too much from Sterling and if he's gonna work for England he needs to be given free reign and get his confidence back pronto.

Trippier can be more than solid if played on the right, Shaw or Chilwell are natural left footers.

England did start with a high press but for some reason it stopped and after we scored we sat back and allowed them back into the game and they created some chances.

Too hot to place that high press all game, all the pundits, players and Southgate have said this. Croatia created nothing which is the biggest success for me. Maybe not as good as at the World Cup but their midfield is still brilliant. They created nothing and we completely stopped modric. Not sure what chances you are referencing? The created nothing what so ever. 

Id prefer tripper on the right and one of the actual left backs on the left. That Dosent stop the fact he had a decent game. 

Phillips had a decent game? He was brilliant. Easily the best player on the pitch and got a brilliant assist as well. I’m a massive fan of Bellingham and wanted him to start (over Phillips) and with rice. But theyres no denying Phillips was class on Sunday. 

Think we’re forgetting they are a good side. If they met France it wouldn’t suddenly be a 3/4 - 0 defeat. A win in the first game is the perfect start, areas to improve yes. I’m very happy we beat a side like that without even having to use players like grealish and sancho 

30 minutes ago, Playa Amodores said:

I thought Scotland were a tad unlucky yesterday as they did create a number of good chances. Signs of a team with belief in their own ability and prepared to battle. It would be good to see both them and England progress but it’s very unlikely.

It was two average teams. Nothing in it other than the fact that the Czech's have Schick, a genuinely top forward, and Scotland have the likes of Dykes, Adams and McBurnie. Put Patrik Schick in the Scotland team ysterday and they no doubt win the game.

16 hours ago, RailwayRowdy said:

They play 4-4-2 which is a system much favoured by Vale fans on here!

7 hours ago, Beech said:

We've just played a good team and won pretty comfortably.

Croatia still have some excellent players like Modric, Perisic, Brozovic, Kovacic and Kramaric. If for some reason you're not counting Croatia as a good team now just because they aren't as strong as they were in 2018, then that's a bit daft.

Croatia are currently a decent team at international level, they are minus two outstanding forward players who played a huge part in them getting to the WC finals and as a result they no longer posses the threat up front of 2018. 

They are clearly not as strong as in 2018 and to say otherwise is very daft.

6 hours ago, valiant_593 said:

Too hot to place that high press all game, all the pundits, players and Southgate have said this. Croatia created nothing which is the biggest success for me. Maybe not as good as at the World Cup but their midfield is still brilliant. They created nothing and we completely stopped modric. Not sure what chances you are referencing? The created nothing what so ever.

Id prefer tripper on the right and one of the actual left backs on the left. That Dosent stop the fact he had a decent game. 

Phillips had a decent game? He was brilliant. Easily the best player on the pitch and got a brilliant assist as well. I’m a massive fan of Bellingham and wanted him to start (over Phillips) and with rice. But theyres no denying Phillips was class on Sunday. 

Think we’re forgetting they are a good side. If they met France it wouldn’t suddenly be a 3/4 - 0 defeat. A win in the first game is the perfect start, areas to improve yes. I’m very happy we beat a side like that without even having to use players like grealish and sancho 

The press stopped after about 30 mins which which probably had as much to do with how Southgate set up the team with 2 defensive midfield players. These are 20 something fit athletes who should be able to maintain a press, this was Laondon not Guadalajara. Tournament football is win or go home, the press was working, it should have continued as there's also the option of substitutes,

England tended to sit back in their own half after they'd scored and and invited Croatia on, Croatia lumped a few high balls in the box and created some half chances which could well have ended up in England's net.

Phillip's played well, I wouldn't say he was class, gave a few needless freekicks away but that's his game, he may have got away with those challenges in the EFL.

18 minutes ago, Paul6754 said:

The press stopped after about 30 mins which which probably had as much to do with how Southgate set up the team with 2 defensive midfield players. These are 20 something fit athletes who should be able to maintain a press, this was Laondon not Guadalajara. Tournament football is win or go home, the press was working, it should have continued as there's also the option of substitutes,

England tended to sit back in their own half after they'd scored and and invited Croatia on, Croatia lumped a few high balls in the box and created some half chances which could well have ended up in England's net.

Phillip's played well, I wouldn't say he was class, gave a few needless freekicks away but that's his game, he may have got away with those challenges in the EFL.

I thought him giving away the free kicks was key also. Not letting them build just like Fernandinho for city in years gone by. For me in that heat there is no way a team can press for 90 mins. I do think if we kept the press up we would have struggled towards the end of the game 

Archived