Advert

Euro 2020

robf

4 hours ago, Joe B said:

If all fit:

Pickford (☹️)

Trippier Maguire Stones Shaw

Mount Rice Bellingham

Sancho Kane Foden/Grealish (genuinely happy either way).

Sancho has to start as he's a) very good and b) the only natural right winger

Go along with most of that but for me I would have James in for Trippier and would drop Foden back a little, a clever player can play in central midfield instead of Bellingham and then get Grealish and Foden in the team.  I have no doubt that Southgate will have Rashford and Sterling in though.

Advert

On 09/06/2021 at 14:02, valiant_593 said:

Pickford

James. Stones. White. Shaw

Rice. Bellingham 

Grealish Mount Foden

Kane. 

I’d go with that. Coady can’t play in a back 2 and Mings is rubbish. Think we will play a back 5 though. With James or Walker moving into the middle. I do think trippier could also start. No doubt super raheem Sterling and rashford will start, I think they’re both very lucky to be included in the squad. Especially Sterling. 

This would almost be my team but if we do go 4-3-3 i don't think you could have both foden and grealish starting. Kane up top is a given but if you had both foden and grealish there would be no one to break the lines and stretch the play. It's where a sterling/rashford/sancho is needed for that extra pace and direct running.

Despite not having a great season i think southgate will go with sterling. His recent england record is actually pretty good and seems to have a regular assist/goal exchange thing going on with kane. 

I change my mind every week almost, but it's only because for a change we actually have strength of depth in some areas. A lot of people are putting both Foden and Grealish in but I think it's important to also have some pace up top, even if both Sterling and Rashford haven't been in great form.

Pickford

James

Stones

Maguire/White

Chilwell

Rice

Bellingham

Mount

Foden

Sterling

Kane

Sterling can suddenly click into gear at an moment. Even off form his pace and movement remain exceptional. It's almost a toss up between Grealish and Foden but I went with the latter just because he offers a bit more goal threat himself. But if it's not working out for Foden then Grealish is a brilliant replacement from the bench. Bellingham lacks experience but his mentality is immense for a 17 year old and he won't be fazed at all to start games. Went for James over Walker on the basis that the latter has too many brain farts. Usually Walker has the pace to make up for his lapses of concentration, but James was exceptional in the Champions League final and just gets the nod for me. Nothing in it between Shaw and Chilwell and don't mind which of the two start.

Rashford, Sancho and Grealish to be used as genuine game changers from the bench if and when needed.

7 hours ago, Beech said:

I change my mind every week almost, but it's only because for a change we actually have strength of depth in some areas. A lot of people are putting both Foden and Grealish in but I think it's important to also have some pace up top, even if both Sterling and Rashford haven't been in great form.

Pickford

James

Stones

Maguire/White

Chilwell

Rice

Bellingham

Mount

Foden

Sterling

Kane

Sterling can suddenly click into gear at an moment. Even off form his pace and movement remain exceptional. It's almost a toss up between Grealish and Foden but I went with the latter just because he offers a bit more goal threat himself. But if it's not working out for Foden then Grealish is a brilliant replacement from the bench. Bellingham lacks experience but his mentality is immense for a 17 year old and he won't be fazed at all to start games. Went for James over Walker on the basis that the latter has too many brain farts. Usually Walker has the pace to make up for his lapses of concentration, but James was exceptional in the Champions League final and just gets the nod for me. Nothing in it between Shaw and Chilwell and don't mind which of the two start.

Rashford, Sancho and Grealish to be used as genuine game changers from the bench if and when needed.

Agree with all of that and think I'd go with exactly that team.

As poor and out-of-form Sterling has been of late, he'll still scare the crap out of defenders when running at them and create panic in the opposition box.

Foden is fantastic and an absolute must to be picked IMO. He's 2nd on the team sheet for me - after Kane. (though I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Southgate leave him out in favour of one of his regulars Rashford).

I'm loving what I've seen of Bellingham so far - he looks so comfortable and capable of influencing games at the very highest level.

Unfortunately, I can see Southgate not picking him and going with the massively inferior Kalvin Phillips instead (at least to start with, until Phillips has shown how out of his depth he is at this level and gets replaced by Henderson or Bellingham).

Neither Mings nor Coady should be anywhere near the starting XI. Not seen that much of White but surely he's a better option than those two?

3 hours ago, Wise Owl said:

With Pickford (the king of weetabix dives) in goal we have no chance of progression.

The defence in general are very poor unfortunately.

Hope I’m proved wrong.

I don't get this hate for Pickford. In an England shirt, he doesn't make anything like the same mistakes as he sometimes does for Everton. He's also brilliant with the ball at his feet which is vital for how Southgate wants us to play. Not to mention he's actually in form as he was Everton's best player in the back end of last season.

He's not world-class but in an England shirt he's generally a very good keeper. Pope's kicking is awful and he would cause havoc for our defenders. Henderson might be the best keeper of the lot down the line but he needs to establish himself at United first.

2 hours ago, mattpvfc said:

Good stuff from Italy

They played well at times but Turkey were absolutely woeful. Any half decent side would have beat the Turks convincingly last night. But definitely a solid first game from Italy to start their tournament.

9 hours ago, Beech said:

I don't get this hate for Pickford. In an England shirt, he doesn't make anything like the same mistakes as he sometimes does for Everton. He's also brilliant with the ball at his feet which is vital for how Southgate wants us to play. Not to mention he's actually in form as he was Everton's best player in the back end of last season.

He's not world-class but in an England shirt he's generally a very good keeper. Pope's kicking is awful and he would cause havoc for our defenders. Henderson might be the best keeper of the lot down the line but he needs to establish himself at United first.

Agree about Pickford, he’s not the best but he is a good goalie, give me Pickford any day over Shilton or Seaman. Henderson is the best English goalie and best Man U goalie, United would have won the Europa Cup if Henderson had been in goals during the penalty shoot out. 

On 09/06/2021 at 22:19, philpvfc said:

Grealish, Foden and Kane have to play which means Sterling sits on the bench. Disagree with the comments about Coady, he has played well this season among an awful defence at Wolves and won’t be surprised if he’s playing at Liverpool next season. Southgate is too negative and if sacked would not be chosen by any premiership club to manage. On paper, we have a squad good enough to compete but I don’t think we will get past the last 16 if even that far.

I think Grealish will be on the bench.

Archived