onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

OVF summer sort-out

robf

Hello,

This is the time of year when I usually take a look at OVF and do some corrections and error checking. It's been going for 25 years now and although the blog part isn't quite that old, it still has been going for nine years and has over 10,000 articles in it. As other sites bite the dust (e.g. a lot of the older Sentinel, official Port Vale articles are now gone after site revamps) some of the older coverage of signings, matches etc is only available on OVF now so I think it's good to try and preserve them in as good a condition as possible.

So, here's a list of my jobs...

1. I have used a piece of software to check for broken links (and that's when I found things like old Sentinel articles I was linking to had gone). I had 350 broken links (which from 10k articles isn't too bad) which is now down to ten. So, I expect this work to be done soon.

2. Another issue is to check for broken images and also to ensure images are correctly titled (that helps me when I am creating new content) and attributed (to thank everyone who has contributed). This is a HUGE job. I am working backwards from the site creation and got as far as 2015. So, there's still a lot of work there. 

What does it mean in terms of new content...

I had an email from a reader asking me to find a feature recently. It was then I realised that while OVF has tons of content, a lot of it exclusive but it isn't always easy to find. So, the goal of my summer sort-out is to link the existing content up into relevant "landing" pages...

Here's two examples:

1. As I mentioned a while back, I am working on improved "classic matches" pages. Basically, I've done several articles on games such as the Spurs game and I am collecting all the articles, clippings, quotes and video and putting them on one central page so all you need to do is go there and enjoy yourself reading all the related content. The first one of these should launch soon. Here's a preview of the Spurs match page:

spurs.thumb.jpg.84a3046e4ec21752b565b313f91a236d.jpg

You'll see from this screengrab that there's seven features at the top, then a couple of videos, followed by a gallery of images. It basically means you can look back at the Spurs win in one central place without having to search the site for the content.

2. I am also working on an improved club history section. I have created loads of pieces over the years (Vale badge evolution, Vale kits, Vale managers etc) and in a similar way to the classic matches, I want to link to that content in the history pages. So, if you are looking at the 1920s for instance, you'll see my features on Wilf Kirkham and the 1930 promotion - if you look at the 80's you'll see articles about Rudge, cup giantkillings and so on. Here's a screengrab of this (you'll see the related features in the RH black column):

history.thumb.jpg.f5a075636125a8131671b8ef32597612.jpg

So, there's a fair bit happening behind the scenes and I hope when I start publishing some of these new-look pages, you'll enjoy them!

Thanks,

Rob

Advert

2 hours ago, ClntonBoulton said:

PS Do you ever get out much? 😂

Glad everyone liked it. It's the first of several...

As for OVF - I genuinely think I've done some work on it pretty much every day (well, evening mainly) for 25 years minus the odd holiday where I had no wifi access (which is probably for the best as I would otherwise be tempted).

Currently, there's eleven years of images and probably about 50 uploaded in an average month. So I'm currently ploughing through approx 6,500 images and labelling them. Now that takes dedication as I am working from present and going backwards and it's so depressing. The further I go back in time the more awful it gets - there's photos of dodgy signings, fans' protests, ten years worth of photos of a half-completed stand and so on... 😞

Having said that, I did find a few nice photos I forgot I had which may feature in future articles 😉

Archived