Loan Players from Stoke

MBE

48 minutes ago, Wrex said:

Looks like you're correct. Was that just to get around transfer window rules?

Don't think there were transfer windows in those days.

I've now racked up 49 years watching Vale and I'm pretty certain we never signed anyone on loan from Stoke in that time. Has there ever been a player on loan from Stoke?
Getting Robbie Earle from their youth setup was good business. Trevor Brissett was a nice guy but never did that well for us. Otherwise I'm struggling for players we signed directly from them.
Terry Lees?

hmmm so consensus is no to loan players from Stoke. I get why and certainly understand the if a player was struggling on loan then the fans would be less tolerable. That kind of stick a player could receive at a young age could break them so you can see why Stoke would be reluctant too. It just narrows our search for young talent.

I'm glad JR wasn't bothered when he signed Robbie Earle who's last club was Stoke - admittedly not a loan signing.

Posted (edited)

Others have already stated that we signed John Lumsdon and Tony Lacy on loan from Stoke, there is another one from just before Lumsdon, that is Brian Bithell.  He was a midfielder who played only a couple of games, he later went to Wimbledon.  We did not sign Tony Lacy on loan to get round transfer rules, the rules were much simpler then.  We signed him because we needed a bit of steel in midfield.  He did very well for us so we then signed him for a free.

John Ruggiero never played for us.

Terry Lees was signed for a fee.  Going back even further Jack Mudie and Ron Wilson were signed as a package for, what was in those days, a large fee.

I am pretty sure that John Lumsdon was the last loan player we had from Stoke.

Edited by Essex Vale
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Stoke's academy system is very, very poor in terms of bringing players through into the first team.

However, just because they aren't good enough for the Prem/Champ doesn't mean they couldn't be good for L2.

Any talented Vale fans on their books?!

If Vale's management team thought a Stoke player was good enough and could do a job for Vale then why wouldn't Vale sign him. It would benefit Vale and the player, he wouldn't have to relocate etc so may well hit the ground running even faster!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, newchapel valiant said:

Jimmy Greenhoff and Eric Skeeles both signed for us in 1976.

Was going to say Jimmy Greenhoff but wasn’t sure if he arrived at vale directly from sjoke or via elsewhere.

1 hour ago, newchapel valiant said:

Jimmy Greenhoff and Eric Skeeles both signed for us in 1976.

Jimmy Greenhoff scored the winner in the FA Cup final for Manchester United in the 76/77 season. I think we signed him in the 80s. Wish we had signed him in 76 as he was one of the best players in the country at that time.

These day there's more chance of us acquiring a player from Red Star Belgrade than Stoke. The Coates's have no interest in acknowledging that we even exist either as football club or even in relation to the amazing community work that Carol and Kevin have inspired. 

Not sure what Rudgies take on it would be, but the lack of any player collaboration between two clubs,  minutes away from each other paints a fairly colourless picture 

56 minutes ago, JRC said:

Jimmy Greenhoff scored the winner in the FA Cup final for Manchester United in the 76/77 season. I think we signed him in the 80s. Wish we had signed him in 76 as he was one of the best players in the country at that time.

Greenhoff was definitely 80's scored in a famous 3-3 draw at Rochdale where we were 3 down and I'm sure he scored a magnificent volley at the Bycars end after a corner was passed directly to him. Might be wrong on that but Rochdale was definitely true . 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

Greenhoff was definitely 80's scored in a famous 3-3 draw at Rochdale where we were 3 down and I'm sure he scored a magnificent volley at the Bycars end after a corner was passed directly to him. Might be wrong on that but Rochdale was definitely true . 

That volley was incredible. Still remember it clearly.  Classic body shape and technique, executed to perfection.  

• Like 3

Always remember the last game of the season when the players used to go to the old directors box to applauded the fans and Greenhoff came out smoking a fag.

I think I would quite enjoy it if we were to have a player on loan from stoke who then wanted to join us and refused to sign a contract for them. We sign him on a tribunal determined fee of something like 5 grand with a 100k to be paid after 50 appearances, then sell him on 49 appearances for a decent fee.

Unlikely I know but it would be enjoyable.

2 hours ago, Conrad said:

Was going to say Jimmy Greenhoff but wasn’t sure if he arrived at vale directly from sjoke or via elsewhere.

Via ManU, Crewe, and Toronto

That volley was incredible. Still remember it clearly.  Classic body shape and technique, executed to perfection.  
Wasn't it against York City, Christmas time? Absolute cracker of a volley! I think Dennis Smith was York manager at the time too...or am I making that bit up?