onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Loan Players from Stoke

MBE

13 hours ago, valefan79 said:

Can't stand them, hate everything to do with them but they seem to be bringing some better players through.  In the last 18 months, they had Collins who they have turned down 10 million for, Tyrese Campbell and Souttar all come through and first choice.  Souttar and Campbell all had successful loan spells before getting into the first team. 

Collins and Campbell fair enough. But Souttar was bought from Dundee for £200,000 so I wouldn't personally class him as come through their academy.

I can't think of any other players brought through in the last 10 years? The right back Edwards had a few games but they've soon shipped him out! 

Stoke made losses of £91m over 19/20 - despite parachute payments! So I think the manager was forced to blood some younger players to save on cash!

Advert

Yes York City, volley from the edge of the area following a corner, still my favourite Vale goal of all time

Wasn't it against York City, Christmas time? Absolute cracker of a volley! I think Dennis Smith was York manager at the time too...or am I making that bit up?

On 26/05/2021 at 09:52, WV said:

Paul Maguire disliked us and John Rudge.  He told me we were the only club he played for where his own fans booed him 

Surprisingly he played more games for us than Stoke. I always thought of him as a Stoke player when we had him. He always seemed disinterested.  Someone like Greenhoff looked like he wanted to be at Vale. I suspect Maguire made fewer tackles than games played. He was one of the best corner takers I've seen though.

1 hour ago, gags 64 said:

Yes York City, volley from the edge of the area following a corner, still my favourite Vale goal of all time

Yeah, bet there's no footage of it. Shame, as it was incredible.

Pretty sure it was at the Hamil End (2-0 or 2-1 win?)

Slightly similar to the goal Paul Scholes scored at Villa Park, in that the ball never touched the floor - crossed in direct from the corner and smashed into the net.

22 hours ago, newchapel valiant said:

Jimmy Greenhoff and Eric Skeeles both signed for us in 1976.

Jimmy Greenhoff signed for Manchester United in 1976 when he was at the height of his powers.  It was 5 years later before he signed for us, and he went to Crewe before us. (I see that others beat me to it with their reply on this one. Skeels only played about 5 games for us, he was well past it when we signed him, he was age 37.)

4 hours ago, valeparklife said:

Collins and Campbell fair enough. But Souttar was bought from Dundee for £200,000 so I wouldn't personally class him as come through their academy.

I can't think of any other players brought through in the last 10 years? The right back Edwards had a few games but they've soon shipped him out! 

Stoke made losses of £91m over 19/20 - despite parachute payments! So I think the manager was forced to blood some younger players to save on cash!

They paid Man City £1.75 million for Campbell, before he signed his first pro contract, so he is hardly "homegrown". Times have changed however, lots of clubs buy rejects/new opportunity players. A bit like Sancho going to Dortmund. The Brentford model seems to be praised, but it is only like JR used to do, admittedly with some older players, but it worked. 

1 hour ago, ginginator said:

They paid Man City £1.75 million for Campbell, before he signed his first pro contract, so he is hardly "homegrown". Times have changed however, lots of clubs buy rejects/new opportunity players. A bit like Sancho going to Dortmund. The Brentford model seems to be praised, but it is only like JR used to do, admittedly with some older players, but it worked. 

Never knew they paid money for him too!

9 hours ago, Tapper said:

So people let me ask you this! Where did Tom Conlon start off? From 2003 to 2012

Difference in them discarding a player, and us offering one of their players minutes for them to return and benefit Stoke City.

Will never accept a current Stoke City player playing for us. Just rivalry. They're absolute dogsh!t anyways, as evidenced by being nailed by a very poor Vale side. 

4 hours ago, The Kalamazoo Kid said:

Slightly similar to the goal Paul Scholes scored at Villa Park, in that the ball never touched the floor - crossed in direct from the corner and smashed into the net.

It was at the Bycars end 1-0 win.

Not at the hamil end. Definetly at the bycars with a corner kick taken from the lorne street side. Perhaps my favourite goal by vale.

On 26/05/2021 at 22:03, MiketheValiant said:
On 26/05/2021 at 20:06, Old fort said:
That volley was incredible. Still remember it clearly.  Classic body shape and technique, executed to perfection.  

Wasn't it against York City, Christmas time? Absolute cracker of a volley! I think Dennis Smith was York manager at the time too...or am I making that bit up?

Not too sure what game it was  Mike,  but he certainly did score in that match which was played on 3rd January 1983 with Ernie Moss scoring the other one, in a 2-1 win

I remember standing in the Bycars just in front of the Tea Bar. The corner was taken from the Lorne Street side.  The volley came fizzing in from the edge of the box, never to be forgotten, or repeated 

8 hours ago, Old fort said:

Not too sure what game it was  Mike,  but he certainly did score in that match which was played on 3rd January 1983 with Ernie Moss scoring the other one, in a 2-1 win

I remember standing in the Bycars just in front of the Tea Bar. The corner was taken from the Lorne Street side.  The volley came fizzing in from the edge of the box, never to be forgotten, or repeated 

It's funny how we remember things slightly differently. I'm almost 100% certain it was against York, it finished 2:1 and it was the Bycars end. After that it's a bit hazy. I thought the corner came from the Railway side but it's just an impression. 

My overwhelming memory is the moments before, Greenhoff had missed a sitter and I was still busy hurling abuse at him as the ball flew into the net. 

There have been transfers between Port Vale and Stoke in my lifespan of support. Most memorable being Mark Chamberlain to Stoke from Port Vale with I think goalie Harrison came in return? 

But in general players at academy level at higher level clubs present problems of not wanting to go to men's football at lower league level. Then there can be additional problems which are unethical. So players released from academies and dumped still have contractual ties from their academy contracts. Such as if they join a league club that club would have to pay a fee - e.g. £50k. In effect that excludes them from League football and they get sentenced to either giving up football or playing at non league level. 

It's a murky world out there. In fact a lot of these academies have most of the players kept on just to have enough numbers for a team. The clubs know they have no chance of making it. That leads to major psychological problems when they get dumped suddenly even when perhaps they have been academy player of the year. I look at Brentford who I see as a model for Port Vale to follow. They have closed down all their academy levels because of that issue with being ethical and misleading large numbers of young people.

44 minutes ago, Warren said:

There have been transfers between Port Vale and Stoke in my lifespan of support. Most memorable being Mark Chamberlain to Stoke from Port Vale with I think goalie Harrison came in return?

Chambo and Harrison both moved to Stoke in a double deal - I remember seeing it on The Sentinel sandwich boards in the middle of Hanley and being absolutely gutted at losing our 2 best players.

Think Neville Chambo also joined them shortly afterwards (but I wasn't anything like as disappointed about that!)

Didn't McGrath use the transfer money to sign players like Fox, Newton, Cegielski, Hunter, Steel? (i.e. the nucleus of a promotion-winning team!)

Archived