onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Loan Players from Stoke

MBE

There are some talented lads at U23 level at the minute ( quite a few under 20) who have potential to do a job, as a squad or first team member at lower league clubs. It seems like an opportunity to dip into a talent pool which is right on our doorstep. Would anyone be in favour if the right player was available to loan or absolutely not because they are from Stoke? 

I thought it could be a useful way of stretching our budget, creating a bit of value and depth to our squad but I'm interested in how others would feel.

Advert

According to what I've read on here Peter Coates hates Vale and wouldn't contemplate letting any of his players come this way, even on loan.

Of course, that may be entirely false, but who was the last ex Stoke player to arrive here without going to an intermediate club?

I’d say that goes for any club, not just Stoke. However, we saw how poor their U23s were a couple of seasons back against one of the worst vale teams in history. 

It has to be on a player by player basis and I have to say Michael O’Neil is good at maximizing his resources, so I doubt he’d let any gems slip through the net like in years gone by under others. 

I remember talking to Martin Foyle about this once before a game at the Isle of Man Tournament. Incredibly we were talking about whether we could get Martin Paterson on loan (2006 I think) from Stoke. His reply, and I'm paraphrasing here was essentially 'No chance while Pulis is there'. So even though it probably made sense for everyone, it never happened. Suspect it would be similar nowadays. 

I'm unsure how I feel about it to be honest. For someone who started following Vale when we were level with Stoke at the very least, having loan players off them would be a bit of a kick in the teeth. There are 43 other clubs at Premier League and Championship level we could loan players off without having to swallow any pride. Or perhaps I'm being petty!

1 hour ago, Heatwave said:

According to what I've read on here Peter Coates hates Vale and wouldn't contemplate letting any of his players come this way, even on loan.

Of course, that may be entirely false, but who was the last ex Stoke player to arrive here without going to an intermediate club?

I was told on pretty good authority that Bill Bell upset the apple cart with the Coates family, particularly Peter and believe it or not his missus, they didn't appreciate Bill lording it over them in the early 90's and the animosity got so big Bill didn't attend games at Stoke towards the end because of the bad feeling.

Subsequently the senior members of the Coates family don't like the Vale and have made it clear that no "Help" should be offered to us.

Personally It doesn't bother me because the feeling is mutual where Stoke City are concerned, I would however like us to build a relationship with a Premiership or top end Championship club where we could take players and the parent club would be confident they were looked after in a professional manner and in a way that would be mutually beneficial to both parties and with Carol in charge I would have thought that was a possibility. 

I've now racked up 49 years watching Vale and I'm pretty certain we never signed anyone on loan from Stoke in that time. Has there ever been a player on loan from Stoke?

Getting Robbie Earle from their youth setup was good business. Trevor Brissett was a nice guy but never did that well for us. Otherwise I'm struggling for players we signed directly from them.

Archived