onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Wanted: your memories of Port Vale 3-1 Stoke City, 1992

robf

1 hour ago, aspin for england said:

one of my favourite Vale goals , Foyley beating Sinclair to the ball outside of the box and hitting it goalwards , we all stood there in anticipation , the ball trickled over the line into the back of the net

"...and Foyle has concluded the argument!"

Think it was Ian Darke doing the Sky commentary that night, with Andy Gray co-commentating.

Advert

Slightly off topic but still Vale beating the Lardies, another fantastic memory is from the 1-0 win at Victoria Ground into the Fibreglass Trophy winning year. Paul Kerr shaped to take a corner at the Boothen End / Butler St side and a Lardie from behind the goal threw a pie at him. Kerr picked it up, took a bite, threw the rest of it back into the Boothen End and then whipped the corner in whilst still eating! Brilliant. 

Probably my favourite ever Vale game this.

Everything about it.  

I was ten at the time and in the minority with mates in terms of Vale/Stoke fans.

I'd had it drilled into me that Vale were massive underdogs.

The weather.

Aspo/Foley

The mud/Dave Regis.

Porters 20 yarder.

Johnny Jeffers!!!

Foyley!!

Just cannot describe it.

One of the best nights of my life!

1 hour ago, Fosse69 said:

The 3-1 Foyle`s goal meant we had won, first time ever we had beat the Stripeys  in the FA Cup, revenge for the 3rd round replay loss in 1951, Get In.

Wasn't it the first time we'd beaten Stoke in a competitive fixture?

Brilliant night we played magical football on a wet horrible weather night at Vale park ,it was some performance 1 down we generally played some outstanding one touch football .

Yes we had a massive amount of luck with the shot from Dave Regis sticking in the mud but over the 90 mins a thoroughly deserved win .

It was a great night John Jeffers jinking run was for me the highlight of the night ok it didnt end in agoal but that was Vale back then where Aspin legend had his leg hanging off but played on,that's the Vale I want see again playing through the pain barrier ,heart character and great skill and a will to win .

Such a great side that was  

UTV 

9 minutes ago, Breadwinner said:

Yes we had a massive amount of luck with the shot from Dave Regis sticking in the mud but over the 90 mins a thoroughly deserved win .

Great night Bread. Not sure how much it was luck. Regis tried to put  it through the mud. Tin had the brians to lift it over the mud. That JJJ run really did deserve a goal.

We were by far the better side.

14 minutes ago, Heatwave said:

Wasn't it the first time we'd beaten Stoke in a competitive fixture?

No, previous Div2 win was a 1-0  at Vale Park, Att 37k, Done the scorer 1955 . Other wins previously before WW2 as well.

As much as the game lives strong in the memory, so does the build up to the game, it was off the scale.  I worked in a large local factory and the banter was non stop from the moment the draw was made, so the sense of nervous anticipation was huge on the day of the game.  Night matches are always more atmospheric somehow and walking up to the ground with the floodlights shining through the gloom was magical.

There was lots of talk about how many of their fans had got tickets in the home stands and how it was going to kick off.  Naturally this added a bit of spice when taking your seat.  Me and the wife were sat a few rows back from the front of the Bycars, near to the goal, actually not far from were we sat on a regular matchday, but couldn't see any familiar faces apart from one right in front of me, who was a Stoke fan and a proper scrote.  When they scored several fans around us went up.  One or two were given a thump as they ran to the front to be led away by the cops.  The guy in front of us had jumped up and was unceremoniously manhandled up into the air and passed over the crowd the few rows down to the front whilst being punched by anyone within reach, including women and kids.

Have to say there were quite a few empty seats around us after that but we knew who was who.

I was living in the Basque Country at the time teaching English,  I'd deliberately ensured I didn't know the result. When I received the video of the match after classes had finished I played the video, still not knowing the outcome, along with a number of my students who had become associate Vale fans, some wearing Vale T shirts previously bought,  great night, I stayed on to watch it again.

Archived