onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Cricket - 2021 International series

robf

So, here's my cobbled together "best of a bad job" XI for the India series

Hameed (perhaps too early for a return but done well against India before, has more shots than Sibley)
Burns (is at least in form and lack of other options)
Malan (finger in the air pick, based on fact he could do well against Aussies in the Ashes on fast pitches and scored 199 in the Championship recently)
Root
Stokes
Lawrence (on strength of his 81 but only due to lack of other options)
Buttler
Ali
Wood (or Stone)
Broad
Anderson

This gives you four pacemen - Stokes, Wood, Anderson, Broad.

One frontline (Ali) and two part-time spin (Root and Lawrence).

It also gives you a decent (in theory) batting line-up down to Ali at number eight.

They'll still probably get thrashed 😞

Advert

2 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

I’ve no idea why Moeen wasn’t picked against NZ. We didn’t need for of the same pacemen. 

He's also the obvious pick if you want to add some batting to the tail too. 

I think we have to get our experienced players back in ASAP and drop the rotation rubbish. Can only see 5-0 for the ashes. The younger players aren’t close to being good enough. For me woakes or ali have to play at number 8 just to give us a bit more depth. Hameed to come in for sibley, someone (no idea who for Crawley) only young batter id look to keep us Lawrence. Burns isn’t brilliant but he will have to do for now. I’d try something like:

Burns

Hameed

Bairstow/ Malan (they don’t like him in tests in England) 

Root

Stokes

Lawrence

Buttler

Woakes / Ali

Wood

Broad

Anderson

We could also bring Foakes back in and play butler just as a batsman and try Lawrence up at 3? Either way not looking good for the future if sibley, Crawley and bracey are the best we have 

50 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

I’ve no idea why Moeen wasn’t picked against NZ. We didn’t need four of the same pacemen. 

That's the least of our worries we need batsmen who can hold the bat properly and play with a straight bat and for god sake a captain who shows guts and bats at number 3 instead of bottling it.Like all sport now money rules instead off pride the indian premiere league the big bash in australia played on pitches that makes the average of players hit sixes all over the place.The Aussies must be laughing their heads off to see what is coming to the ashes Sibley Crawley Bracey,Lawrence Moeen catch me at square leg Ali Bess who could not spin a top do me a favour stay in England it's a bloody horrible thought.

9 hours ago, hamilboy said:

That's the least of our worries we need batsmen who can hold the bat properly and play with a straight bat and for god sake a captain who shows guts and bats at number 3 instead of bottling it.Like all sport now money rules instead off pride the indian premiere league the big bash in australia played on pitches that makes the average of players hit sixes all over the place.The Aussies must be laughing their heads off to see what is coming to the ashes Sibley Crawley Bracey,Lawrence Moeen catch me at square leg Ali Bess who could not spin a top do me a favour stay in England it's a bloody horrible thought.

I don't think it's the least of our worries actually. 

Yes the batting woes take the eye but the failure to pick Ali or another spinner shows a really poor starting XI selection and that's happened twice in a row now - so that's a big concern.

NZ had a medium pacer and a spinner in both matches to do the donkey work - England not only had less variety but by picking two veterans and two quicks they had no-one who could do a long spell, so Root and Lawrence had to chip in. 

In essence - if they can't pick the right bowlers then how are they also going to pick the right batsmen?

I do agree though that any confidence I had in the Test team has drained out of me in this series. The batsmen you mention should all really be dropped (perhaps with the exception of Lawrence) - but who replaces them? I think a 5-0 loss in Australia is on the cards. 

4 hours ago, robf said:

I don't think it's the least of our worries actually. 

Yes the batting woes take the eye but the failure to pick Ali or another spinner shows a really poor starting XI selection and that's happened twice in a row now - so that's a big concern.

NZ had a medium pacer and a spinner in both matches to do the donkey work - England not only had less variety but by picking two veterans and two quicks they had no-one who could do a long spell, so Root and Lawrence had to chip in. 

In essence - if they can't pick the right bowlers then how are they also going to pick the right batsmen?

I do agree though that any confidence I had in the Test team has drained out of me in this series. The batsmen you mention should all really be dropped (perhaps with the exception of Lawrence) - but who replaces them? I think a 5-0 loss in Australia is on the cards. 

I don't think this rotation system is working either?

8 hours ago, For Us All said:

I don't think this rotation system is working either?

It’s a disgrace. Let the players chose to miss internationals to go and get some money in the IPL and then let them rest for the forceable future. No wonder we’re getting skittled by NZ B team. 

18 hours ago, jeffers said:

We don’t produce test players due to the gross amount of one day competitions. Players being rested because of one day World Cup on the horizon.

Yet India's IPL is the biggest in the world yet their Test team is competing in the World Test Final this week.

14 hours ago, valiant_593 said:

It’s a disgrace. Let the players chose to miss internationals to go and get some money in the IPL and then let them rest for the forceable future. No wonder we’re getting skittled by NZ B team. 

Some of these players who have been "rested" have been playing for their counties.  Woakes, Bairstow, Buttler and Moeen have all played this weekend.

• 4 weeks later...

Hope it gives alot of new players a chance. I dont really want us to go back to players before who have failed like denly and vince. I wouldnt mind hales being called up though as he should really be in the team anyway. Sorry to the players that have covid hopefully they make a full recovery from it.

Archived