onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Cricket - 2021 International series

robf

Not sure what else we can really change for the ashes? Facts are we focussed on white ball cricket at the expense of our red ball side. Root, Anderson and Stokes are world class, as is broad but not as often anymore. Other than that we’re very ordinary, especially with the bat. 

Hameed and Burns opening is certainly an improvement on the previous opening partnerships. We have to stick with Hameed now, my one worry for him is that he seems to go into his shell once the ball gets old.

Malan 100% has to be the number 3 for the ashes he thrives on pitches that you get in Australia and has looked solid since coming back. 

I’m not convinced by Pope, he looks a very good player but is consistently not making runs. Biggest issues for us now IMO in the short term is that number 6 and 7 slot. I don’t think butler is good enough for test cricket, and I think bairstow is a better keeper, if fit Foakes has to come into the side as a genuine keeper at number 7. 

Our only hope for the ashes is that our bowlers can stay fit and bowl them out cheaply every innings as we won’t score enough runs over there. Wood and Robinson should go well over there. 

Once this ashes is done we need to start again though, pick a young spinner (Parkinson) and stick with them, a young player like brooks, time to move on from these average players.

Advert

2 hours ago, valiant_593 said:

Once this ashes is done we need to start again though, pick a young spinner (Parkinson) and stick with them, a young player like brooks, time to move on from these average players.

Agree with most of the post..

Problem I have is what to do about bring forward the next set of red ball cricketers.. With the introduction of the hundred the focus is firmly on the white ball cricket. There are limited opportunities for batters who can stick around instead of sticking it in the stands.

Test cricket worldwide is in poor shape but for India, Australia and England... Test cricket needs a competitive England team if only for us to bring along fans to the tests, without that, the crowds will drop, there will be a drift towards 4 day tests and we lose the special unique drama that is test cricket.

4 hours ago, Beech said:

5th test called off sadly. Though the weather this weekend is supposed to be pretty bad so I think it would only have been a really frustrating, stop and start test match anyway.

Scandalous by the Indians. Looks like Kholi and his mates have been instrumental in getting this called off. If they were so concerned about COVID risks why did Shastri and Kholi leave the bubble for a jaunt down to London where they mingled without masks at a book launch?

57 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

Scandalous by the Indians. Looks like Kholi and his mates have been instrumental in getting this called off. If they were so concerned about COVID risks why did Shastri and Kholi leave the bubble for a jaunt down to London where they mingled without masks at a book launch?

Worried about missing out on the IPL gravy train. Money ruining sport and standards yet again,sadly.

Embarrassing really and just shows what a state test cricket is in because of these franchise tournaments. No doubt they’ll all be fine to play the first game of the IPL. Had tickets for Sunday so not best pleased. If I was ECB I’d cancel their one day tour of here next year. Play against sides that actually want to play. 

I very much suspect this has been planned all along since the ECB refused to change the date of the Fifth Test in May when the BCCI had to move the IPL.  Three days of the Test were already sold out at that time so whey on earth should they change.  The Indians are taking the **** here.

On 07/09/2021 at 10:49, manc_vale said:

Positives

• We seem to have found a bowler in Robinson, replacement for Board
  • We might have an opening partnership. I like the look of Hameed
  • Stokes will hopefully return at some point to slot in at 5.
  • Alli has returned and slotted back in nicely. So we can hopefully put to bed the idea of having an all seam attack
  • Anderson is still a master bowler

Negatives

• Number 3 - we have no-one who looks like a decent number 3 batsman (how I wish Trott was still around). Malan has performed pretty well, but surely the best limited overs batsman should be batting below Root?
  • No replacement for Anderson exists or is likely to exist. Still heavily reliant on our 39 year old talisman. The Ashes test series has little time for recovery. For me there are big doubts about him playing in all matches. 
  • Archer.
  • Bairstow  - tried and failed before. Technique lacking for test match batting. Too many drops to be considered for wicket keeper. Great guy but surely only near the test side because of injuries.
  • Lack of wicketkeeper options. We keep having to go with a wicketkeeper batsman. Buttler is good but his batting hasnt been good recently
  • Still not sure about Root as a captain. Drives me mad when if things aren't quite going right he puts everyone on the boundary.
  • Poor catching... Root is included in this too.. He has shelled a number of chances this summer
  • We lost to an Indian team with a seam attack that was more potent than ours
  • India for whatever reason did not pick Ashwin. The series scoreline would be even more enphatically in India's favour had he been included.

Ollie Pope - I'm in between on... Excellent first innings knock playing with the tail, but I still have doubts...

I'd agree with most of that.

The worry for me is that Stokes is likely to miss the Ashes. Ali's spin isn't suited to Aussie conditions (he averages 65) and alongside him we could line up with four fast-medium bowlers in Anderson, Broad, Robinson and Woakes. That's what we did the last time and we got thrashed. This time we were supposed to have a barrage of fast bowlers to rotate but two are now injured - Archer, Stone - leaving just the injury-prone Wood left. 

And that's just the bowling - we've got a relatively unproven opening pair, a number three who still averages in the 20's and a captain who the team rely on to get the majority of runs. Add in some uninspiring captaincy and I must admit I think we have zero hope of getting anything from the Ashes. I really hope I'm wrong...

2 minutes ago, robf said:

I'd agree with most of that.

The worry for me is that Stokes is likely to miss the Ashes. Ali's spin isn't suited to Aussie conditions (he averages 65) and alongside him we could line up with four fast-medium bowlers in Anderson, Broad, Robinson and Woakes. That's what we did the last time and we got thrashed. This time we were supposed to have a barrage of fast bowlers to rotate but two are now injured - Archer, Stone - leaving just the injury-prone Wood left. 

And that's just the bowling - we've got a relatively unproven opening pair, a number three who still averages in the 20's and a captain who the team rely on to get the majority of runs. Add in some uninspiring captaincy and I must admit I think we have zero hope of getting anything from the Ashes. I really hope I'm wrong...

I'm inclined to think that if they continue to impose these restrictions on the players' families we should do what their Rugby League team did and tell them to sod off, we're not coming.

31 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

I'm inclined to think that if they continue to impose these restrictions on the players' families we should do what their Rugby League team did and tell them to sod off, we're not coming.

I think a cancelled series may be England's best outcome. It may be sad for Anderson/Broad not to have a final send-off in Aus but that will leave them free to have a glorious final home Ashes series (unless Jimmy decides to keep going till he's 50!).

• 1 month later...
On 27/10/2021 at 19:49, robf said:

I thought I'd come back to this thread as the T20 Cricket World Cup is well under way.

Two comprehensive wins so far for England...

Big game against Australia on Sunday... Two unbeaten quality sides going off against eachother. It would be soo good to give them a bloody nose ahead of the Ashes.

Archived