onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Cricket - 2021 International series

robf

7 hours ago, valiant_593 said:

Though Overton bowled well also. I would make one change for the next game though, if fit, wood back in for Curran 

Yep, same here. I think Curran needs a rest. His recent form is pretty dire. 14 with the bat and 79 with the ball (pity it's not the other way around). I know it's one series ahead but I also don't think he'd be a fit for the Ashes wheras Wood would. Alternatively, if Wood isn't fit and they want some left arm variety I'd look at George Garton who's been in good form, is taller/pacier than Curran and can also contribute with the bat.

Advert

Fascinatingly poised test match now. 291 to win with all wickets remaining. On a final day pitch you'd normally favour the fielding side but I just think if there is a pitch to knock these runs off it's this one at the Oval. That pitch is a road basically.

Really well done to Burns and Haseeb though for getting England through that session after a long time fielding. Laying that platform has given us a half decent shout.

1 hour ago, Beech said:

Openers finally showed a bit of fight and doggedness. India still very much favourites though. The first hour in the morning is going to be huge. If India come out and get two or three by lunch it's pretty much game over.

Wish I was off tomorrow! History says there is no chance, but it still looks a good deck, so you never know 🤞

1 hour ago, Beech said:

Openers finally showed a bit of fight and doggedness. India still very much favourites though. The first hour in the morning is going to be huge. If India come out and get two or three by lunch it's pretty much game over.

I think draw is probably joint favourite along with India but England have a live chance. This should not be a pitch where a bowling lineup can rip out a batting order in a session. There’s nothing for the pace bowlers and only minimal assistance for spin.

I want to see England go out and bat positively, I don’t mean treating it like a power play but keep rotating the strike and running two’s as well. Worst thing they can do is get stuck in a rut. At least that’ll mean Kohli has to worry about stopping runs as well as getting wickets.

What chance we do have (and its slim), I would drop that chance to zero if Ashwin was in the Indian side. I know this track has become flat, but a bowler of his talent would cause all sorts of trouble on a day 5 pitch.

Anyone have a clue why Indias premier spinner is not playing?

27 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

What a complete shambles. Our batting is disgraceful 

100-0 

to 

147 - 6

There has to be better test keepers and batsman in England than bairstow 

The Aussies will beat us with there second team cricketer's they are having a laugh

This is probably the worst England test side since the late 90s. I doubt India would take many of our players and put them in there best xi apart from root. The only surprise for me is that we won a test and played well first 2 days of this test as after the first test I thought we would be losing 5 nil. Anderson is looking tired and in need of a rest so I wouldnt select him for the last game might aswell give another player a go. I have no idea who to select as wicketkeeper if we arnt selecting bairstow as I think foakes is injured, buttler on paternity leave and we tried bracey and he struggled.

Just now, Andy Proctor said:

This is probably the worst England test side since the late 90s. I doubt India would take many of our players and put them in there best xi apart from root. The only surprise for me is that we won a test and played well first 2 days of this test as after the first test I thought we would be losing 5 nil. Anderson is looking tired and in need of a rest so I wouldnt select him for the last game might aswell give another player a go. I have no idea who to select as wicketkeeper if we arnt selecting bairstow as I think foakes is injured, buttler on paternity leave and we tried bracey and he struggled.

From the current team we are missing four players who would be first choices - Broad, Stokes, Buttler and Archer. 

1 hour ago, Jacko51 said:

From the current team we are missing four players who would be first choices - Broad, Stokes, Buttler and Archer. 

Buttler and broad have played abit in this series and have been garbage. Archer I think he is better at 2020 or one day seems to get injured and put in lazy performances once he has played about 3 tests in a row. Stokes has been a big miss as he's a batter Bowler and excellent fielder something India have been far better than us in this series and the one earlier in the year. With the issues stokes is having at the moment we may never see him play for England again.

Positives

• We seem to have found a bowler in Robinson, replacement for Board
  • We might have an opening partnership. I like the look of Hameed
  • Stokes will hopefully return at some point to slot in at 5.
  • Alli has returned and slotted back in nicely. So we can hopefully put to bed the idea of having an all seam attack
  • Anderson is still a master bowler

Negatives

• Number 3 - we have no-one who looks like a decent number 3 batsman (how I wish Trott was still around). Malan has performed pretty well, but surely the best limited overs batsman should be batting below Root?
  • No replacement for Anderson exists or is likely to exist. Still heavily reliant on our 39 year old talisman. The Ashes test series has little time for recovery. For me there are big doubts about him playing in all matches. 
  • Archer.
  • Bairstow  - tried and failed before. Technique lacking for test match batting. Too many drops to be considered for wicket keeper. Great guy but surely only near the test side because of injuries.
  • Lack of wicketkeeper options. We keep having to go with a wicketkeeper batsman. Buttler is good but his batting hasnt been good recently
  • Still not sure about Root as a captain. Drives me mad when if things aren't quite going right he puts everyone on the boundary.
  • Poor catching... Root is included in this too.. He has shelled a number of chances this summer
  • We lost to an Indian team with a seam attack that was more potent than ours
  • India for whatever reason did not pick Ashwin. The series scoreline would be even more enphatically in India's favour had he been included.

Ollie Pope - I'm in between on... Excellent first innings knock playing with the tail, but I still have doubts...

Archived