onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Cricket - 2021 International series

robf

Malan recalled. 

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/england-vs-india-3rd-test-dawid-malan-called-up-to-england-squad-for-third-test-1273999

I nearly fell off my chair when I read this quote from Chris Silverwood: "The Test series is beautifully poised and we are relishing the prospect of aiming to bounce back at Emerald Headingley" Really?

I wonder if England will ever consider Liam Livingstone? He has played 61 County games and has a better FC record than Malan but despite only playing one FC game in a year Malan is seen as a "Test player" and Livingstone isn't.

That's no criticism of Malan, I'm pleased he's back and gets a chance, but Livingstone would also be a good man to have in the squad alongside Malan. To me, he has the right sort of attitude and self-belief that I think could be valuable whatever format he plays in. Livingstone also has a better FC record and is in far better form than Dan Lawrence. 

Advert

This is one of them that our bowling is always really good and for once our batting has backed it up. Another good day with the bat tomorrow and that should be enough to win the test match for England.

On another note though I just hope people are appreciating what they are seeing with Jimmy Anderson and his greatness. That’s my greatest regret  in a Vale context at the time I never appreciated how lucky I was to witness Guppy and McCarthy.

Anderson and Robinson are quality. Anderson has had a great career Robinson has had a brilliant start to his career. I dont think curran and Overton are good enough for test cricket really but they have bowled well here. Curran and Overton are probably only playing due to stokes, woakes, archer, wood and Broad being injured. Curran seems to concede too many runs and his pace isn't as quick as I'd like. He's only young so hopefully he will improve bur at the moment if we had everybody fit then I wouldn't be picking him.

On 25/08/2021 at 21:47, Guppys left peg said:

This is one of them that our bowling is always really good and for once our batting has backed it up. Another good day with the bat tomorrow and that should be enough to win the test match for England.

On another note though I just hope people are appreciating what they are seeing with Jimmy Anderson and his greatness. That’s my greatest regret  in a Vale context at the time I never appreciated how lucky I was to witness Guppy and McCarthy.

All the changes paid off this Test. Really happy for Hameed - he's a class above Burns and Sibley, in my opinion. It helps playing him in his natural position. It's only one innings but Malan already looks the best option at 3. 

Looking longer term, if the Ashes go ahead I guess we'd see some changes. Presuming Buttler does decide to miss it for family reasons, then Bairstow could take the gloves and allow Stokes to return. With Stokes providing fast-medium, it would be good to see some pace in the England attack - perhaps two of Wood, Saqib or Garton (LH option) in place of Overton and Curran?

That would be - Burns, Hameed, Malan, Root, Stokes, Bairstow, Ali, Robinson, Garton, Wood/Saqib, Anderson

Loads of options in that eleven - two spinners in Ali and Root plus five seam options (two express and one left-handed). Garton can bat a bit (FC ave of 20) so it's a reasonably strong tail too.

33 minutes ago, robf said:

All the changes paid off this Test. Really happy for Hameed - he's a class above Burns and Sibley, in my opinion. It helps playing him in his natural position. It's only one innings but Malan already looks the best option at 3. 

Looking longer term, if the Ashes go ahead I guess we'd see some changes. Presuming Buttler does decide to miss it for family reasons, then Bairstow could take the gloves and allow Stokes to return. With Stokes providing fast-medium, it would be good to see some pace in the England attack - perhaps two of Wood, Saqib or Garton (LH option) in place of Overton and Curran?

That would be - Burns, Hameed, Malan, Root, Stokes, Bairstow, Ali, Robinson, Garton, Wood/Saqib, Anderson

Loads of options in that eleven - two spinners in Ali and Root plus five seam options (two express and one left-handed). Garton can bat a bit (FC ave of 20) so it's a reasonably strong tail too.

Agreed, only the one game but it feels a lot more solid at the top of that batting order now. Add in Stokes at some point and I think that is something England can work with going forward. Hameed got a little stuck yesterday before he got out but generally he was at least looking for options to rotate the strike and his offside game is lightyears ahead of Sibley so it's a huge upgrade. Malan just on yesterdays innings looked like he had more of an idea about where his off stump was compared to his last spell in test cricket and I thought he was very unfortunate to feather that one down the legside on his dismissal.

I'm definitely looking at a way to get Saqib in that team. With that red Kookaburra ball on those Aussie decks you don't get much purchase out of it for long and Saqib will at least challenge the stumps. I'm not too familiar with Garton in FC cricket, I do like the idea of getting that left arm pace option though as it does balance the attack (I think Curran would get walloped over at his pace so not too keen on that one).

54 minutes ago, robf said:

Agree with all of that but for Bairstow. Decent with the gloves, good in the field but has proved to be a walking wicket in the past. I don't see any change in his technique or approach that makes me think anything has changed here... Therefore if his only route into the team is as a wicket keeper batsman, surely a better option is Foakes? Foakes far better with the gloves and has arguably just as good a batting record as Bairstow. 

33 minutes ago, manc_vale said:

Agree with all of that but for Bairstow. Decent with the gloves, good in the field but has proved to be a walking wicket in the past. I don't see any change in his technique or approach that makes me think anything has changed here... Therefore if his only route into the team is as a wicket keeper batsman, surely a better option is Foakes? Foakes far better with the gloves and has arguably just as good a batting record as Bairstow. 

Fair point but isn't Foakes injured at the moment?

23 hours ago, robf said:

Fair point but isn't Foakes injured at the moment?

Fair point apiece.. Forgot about his freak dressing room slip... 

Hopefully he can make it back in time for the mini-tour of Bangladesh when, I presume, Butler will be given time off...

7 minutes ago, Beech said:

Surely Jimmy once he retires has to go down as one of the greatest sportsmen from these shores?

In cricket stats talk and BS walks. He's one of the all time world greats, and Root is also getting up there.

Great win. Superb bowling on a really good batting track. Anderson is a legend of the game that will be talked about for years to come. Robinson looks a real good international bowler. Accurate and a decent pace, with his height he should be decent for the ashes. Though Overton bowled well also. I would make one change for the next game though, if fit, wood back in for Curran 

27 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

Great win. Superb bowling on a really good batting track. Anderson is a legend of the game that will be talked about for years to come. Robinson looks a real good international bowler. Accurate and a decent pace, with his height he should be decent for the ashes. Though Overton bowled well also. I would make one change for the next game though, if fit, wood back in for Curran 

And we were playing without Stokes. Harsh on Overton but I'd stick with Curran.  Funny how much of a better side we look with Mo in it. Even if he does not seem to do much. That ball was a beauty.  He's a bit the David Gower on his day. A joy to behold.  You don't know what you've got 'til its gone.

All to play for. Who knows?  Fascinating stuff though. If we can draw it that is massive. They are a really strong team of top class players. Best test team in the world.

And Mo is a bloody good spinner when he is backed. Look at the stats.

Archived