onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Cricket - 2021 International series

robf

Really enjoyed watching this bowling performance from England. Saqib has bowled brilliantly and Parkinson done well today. I suspect in Parkinson’s case he may need to add a couple of mph to his bowling speed for him to prosper in test cricket but he has some very good control.

Inadvertently done England a favour with the original squad having to self-islolate. Great to see some of the others have a chance, speaks well of the depth we have in this format at least.

Advert

15 minutes ago, Guppys left peg said:

Really enjoyed watching this bowling performance from England. Saqib has bowled brilliantly and Parkinson done well today. I suspect in Parkinson’s case he may need to add a couple of mph to his bowling speed for him to prosper in test cricket but he has some very good control.

Inadvertently done England a favour with the original squad having to self-islolate. Great to see some of the others have a chance, speaks well of the depth we have in this format at least.

Totally agree. It would have been nice to see George Garton (but he's one of the isolating group) and Will Jacks but the ones that have come in have looked really good.

All through the domestic season, the commentators have been saying how Saqib has improved and I think he could be a decent option in all formats. I agree on Parkinson but he seems to have that knack of picking up wickets regardless. It certainly gives the ODI team some cover for Rashid and perhaps a long-term replacement.

It may be interesting to see Phil Salt opening - he can motor if he gets going...

A bit like the current England football set-up, English cricket is blessed with a plethora of talent.  To replace the whole one-day squad overnight shows just how much in-depth talent there is around. Ben Stoke's !third eleven" are currently taking Pakistan apart in the 1st ODI of this series!

2 hours ago, Andy Proctor said:

Englands one day and 2020 team is superb but the test team is garbage. Crawley has come into the one day team today and batted really well but can't buy a run in test cricket bairstow is the same too when he plays.

I think with Crawley he’ll always be ok in the white ball game as there is not much lateral movement so his poor footwork doesn’t get exposed and he can just hit through the line. Against a red Dukes ball in particular he will always get exposed.

Really pleasing result today though. Thought some of Malans strokes through cover were picture perfect. Would quite like Saqib to be considered for the Ashes tour this winter also. Someone who could fill the old Simon Jones role would be very handy.

• 3 weeks later...
On 08/07/2021 at 20:44, Guppys left peg said:

Really pleasing result today though. Thought some of Malans strokes through cover were picture perfect. Would quite like Saqib to be considered for the Ashes tour this winter also. Someone who could fill the old Simon Jones role would be very handy.

There's a real problem with the Test side in that we've got tons of options in pretty much every area APART from the top three and spin

Quicks - Wood, Archer, Stone (albeit injured), Saqib

All-rounders - Stokes, Woakes, Moeen (spinning all-rounder)

LH Pace - Curran, possibly Garton

Experience - Anderson, Broad

WK - Buttler, Bairstow, Foakes even Pope at a push

Middle order - Root, Stokes, Pope, Lawrence, Bairstow's back again

--

I'm become a Parkinson convert in recent weeks. I think he could be a point of difference and he's impressed Shane Warne which is interesting. I reckon he could move ahead of Leach, who I still think has something to offer and Mooen. The only problem with Parkinson is he is a genuine No.11 batsmen so adds to the tail.

Up-top, positions one to three, I can't see an answer. I think they've clearly decided not to rush Hameed back but he's now in form and with a Test match ave of 43, earned in overseas Tests, he's streets ahead of both Burns and Sibley IMO. Only problem would be who to partner him? As for number three, I personally would go back to Malan but there's no obvious solution.

I also think Livingstone is potentially worth a shout. He reminds me a bit of Robin Smith in being fearless and I think he may thrive against Aussie pace. The only issue is he's usually a middle order batsman and I wouldn't want England to crowbar him in by playing him out of position. 

We have a top one day and 20/20 side but I think our test side is way off the level.

I think sibley has had long enough no and still failing so I’d be starting hameed for this one, good form this season, deserves a go with burns. 3 is a big issue, Crawley looks great if the ball Doesn’t move, if it swings its a different story. I know England don’t like him in test cricket over here but i still like Malan and think he should have been given more of a go in the side. Root and stokes next obviously. 6 I’m not sure, pope looks like he should score a shed of runs but has failed on basically every occasion. I think I’d go with Lawrence, livingstone (bowling as well) or brooks who will play for England soon. Butler as keeper, not as good in this format but neither are the others! Anderson, broad and wood for me as the quicks. Then either woakes, robinson or curren if we want another quick. If we want a spinner I would go for moeen or Parkinson.  Given our poor batting line up, having moeen at 8 can be a blessing. Our bowling is excellent, could chose any line up and we have a world class (pace) line up. (Saqib as well who looks like he will be a real weapon for us).  Batting a different story. 

This squad is pretty horrible again imo. Think we will get whitewashed. For me Bess is not even close to being international level, and leech isn’t much better. Big players like woakes not in the squad again. Need to start progressing this side now instead of picking the same failing players. 

This Sumer is difficult for cricket ... euro s and olympics and a lions tour.... all pushing for publicity.

having said that crowds for the 100 and other comps look good ... but you can’t beat a test match . Looking forward to tomorrow India won’t find it easy i our conditions 

This is going be a poor series to watch if England are going serve that rubbish up everytime. I think this is a 5 test series and unless things improve it will be 5 nil to India. I wouldnt be surprised if we cancelled the Bangladesh series to avoid getting beat by them aswell.

4 minutes ago, Andy Proctor said:

This is going be a poor series to watch if England are going serve that rubbish up everytime. I think this is a 5 test series and unless things improve it will be 5 nil to India. I wouldnt be surprised if we cancelled the Bangladesh series to avoid getting beat by them aswell.

5-0 to India and then 5-0 in the ashes as well. Useless this lot are. 

Archived