onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Cricket - 2021 International series

robf

Advert

Southee and jamieson are very good bowlers so they will cause problems on any surface. Apart from root though none of the others have a decent test average or a proven record in test cricket. Burns is in decent form and batted well here but I dont think he is good enough either. They keep saying pope is going be this really good upcoming youngsters but he doesn't make any runs and Crawley averages about 26 but if you take his double hundred he scored last year out then he is probably averaging something like 15. Robinson and Wood are decent bowlers and I'd like see stone given a chance perhaps rest broad who was wicketless in the first innings.

I'm not too sure about the likes of Sibley, Crawley and Burns (even after his ton) but I do think Pope is quality. Yes, he keeps getting out for not very much but I think consistency will come with him. It's difficult to really convince any doubters because he isn't getting many runs right now, but my gut instinct is that I think in years to come he'll be an established International player. 

I also like Bracey (I've watched him a lot this season) and I think he has a lot to offer. He may or may not be International class but he deserves a chance to see if he is. However, I think he's been dealt an awful hand. Bracey has played well at number three all this season. But then he's asked to move to number seven which I think is a bit like the England football team saying to a winger - you're making your International debut and we're going to play you as a full-back. It's hard enough coping with the step up in class without having to make your International debut in an alien position in the batting line-up.

Think that was a really enjoyable days play today and would say honours about even. NZ have bowled well throughout even when they went wicketless in the first session. Well done to Burns and Lawrence. In Lawrences case I really like the fact he led a counter at the time England were under some pressure and some of his shots were superb. Crawley by contrast seems to have zero confidence and you can tell it in his foot movement or lack of. 

Going to be at Edgbaston on Saturday so will be nice to be a part of a good crowd there again.

I was gutted for Bracey. I have watched him a fair bit this season and he's clearly worked hard to get into the team but sadly it looks like it may be a level too high for him. I think Crawley needs dropping and go back to the county game for a spell. Pope is sooo frustrating. He's such a talent but keeps throwing it away. 

I'm pleased for Burns and Lawrence - good knocks from both.

It's a weird England line-up though - I thought Overton would get in to shore up the tail a bit. I like both Stone and Wood but neither are particularly resiliant - I hope they don't both have to bowl long spells with their injury records.

11 minutes ago, robf said:

I hope you have an amazing time @Guppys left peg. I always love Edgbaston and I personally thought the crowd was man of the match today 👍

Cheers Rob appreciate it. Seemed like it on the TV today, the Hollies stand seemed in good voice from the start. Could see the smile on Roots face at the start the difference it makes.

I do have one gripe with the selection for this test match and that is the lack of a frontline spinner. I'm firmly of the belief you should almost never go in to a Test match without one. I know with the lack of an all-rounder it's hard to squeeze one in but Edgbaston always turns late on and in fact Patel was getting some purchase already out of the surface.  Root can bowl a little bit but he isn't someone you'd have reel off a ten over spell like say Leach could. This could be very hard work for a four man pace attack especially if the weather sticks to the forecast over the weekend.

I agree. Personally, I would have an "all-rounder" type to strengthen the tail- (in the absence of Woakes and ahem.. Robinson) that would be Overton, one of the quicks (so rotate Wood/Stone), one of the veterans (probably have Anderson and give Broad a rest) and then have Leach.

So that would be a 7-11 of - Overton, Stone, Leach, Anderson

I think brace batting at 3 and playing just as a batsman and not as a wicketkeeper aswell would be better for him. He probably won't get another chance though unless he makes runs in the 2nd innings with butler or foakes being back behind the stumps. Stone and Robinson have shown enough quality with the ball to show that there's life beyond Anderson and Broad for England. As for new Zealand I've got to say what a good side they seem to be and there probably likely to sneak this series 1 nil. Shame its not a longer series.

21 hours ago, robf said:

I agree. Personally, I would have an "all-rounder" type to strengthen the tail- (in the absence of Woakes and ahem.. Robinson) that would be Overton, one of the quicks (so rotate Wood/Stone), one of the veterans (probably have Anderson and give Broad a rest) and then have Leach.

So that would be a 7-11 of - Overton, Stone, Leach, Anderson

Good job Broady wasn't rested--he's looked the only threat today in a generally toothless bowling line-up.  However that being said, in fairness, the New Zealand lads have batted totally sensibly & professionally.

Deserved to lose the first game and will probably lose this. Bowling not up to scratch other than broad today. Wood a bit slower than normal? Dosent usually play 2 tests in a row? A spinner / all rounder should have come into the side, balance is way off. I’m saying that I don’t particularly rate Overton and leech just isn’t test level imo hence why we’re so against selecting a spinner. 

None of the batsman are good enough really apart from root. You only have to look at there averages to see there not good enough. Lawrence and burns will keep there places for now as they have made some runs in these 2 tests to be given further game time. Crawley and sibley are a joke there both just a walking wicket. Bracey as Rob has said looks out of depth at test cricket but maybe playing him just as a batsman instead of wicket keeper batsman may improve his performance. Pope I've mentioned before yeah he's meant be a decent talent but he's not scoring the runs getting 20s and getting out maybe better than what his team mates do but it's simply not good enough. New Zealand are a miles better team than us at the moment there bowling is quality and they have batsman in form scoring plenty of runs regularly. When we next play Australia I will be amazed if we don't lose 5 nil.

3 hours ago, Andy Proctor said:

New Zealand are a miles better team than us at the moment there bowling is quality and they have batsman in form scoring plenty of runs regularly. When we next play Australia I will be amazed if we don't lose 5 nil.

My thoughts exactly @Andy Proctor

The batting is now a real cause for concern. None of Sibley, Crawley, Pope (even though I do rate him), Lawrence or Bracey can really justify being selected for the next Test. I also still don't think Burns is good enough despite his good recent form.

That's a real concern as you've got Root, Stokes and the inconsistent Buttler coming back for the India series - but them aside, who else can you pick?  

The problem with England is we are over stocked in some areas - quicks (Wood, Archer, Stone), wicketkeeper (Buttler, Bairstow, Foakes), all-rounders (Stokes, Woakes, Curran and Robinson) and yet the cupboard is pretty bare in other areas (openers, spinners, number three for instance). When you add in Broad and Anderson's ages (they can't go on forever) it's looking really worrying.

I have liked the look of Haseem Hamed who seems to have come good again in the county game but I worry it's too soon to plunge him back into Tests - but him aside, I can't see where the batsmen are going to come from. I'm also concerned we don't have a good captain. I actually think Stokes may be better but we can't expect him to do everything.

NZ are always underrated. People will say England are missing Stokes and the IPL players but the Kiwis made six changes and still look a million miles better than us. Their batting is better, their bowling has more variation, they make sensible team selections and their fielding is better. They thoroughly deserve to win this series.

If we take that lot to Australia then like you, I fear we will get an absolute thrashing.

Archived