Advert

Sentinel: Recruitment expert helping Port Vale line up signings

News Feed

Advert

42 minutes ago, News Feed said:

rssImage-5f8caf80c6d99c1021aac59ccf6b9e8b.jpeg

Port Vale are rebuilding their squad this summer

View the full article

I thought with Clarke and Flitcroft they’d have knowledge of affordable players who would suit the team that they are creating. Will someone please explain the role of DOF to me, as I’m not fully understanding why we’ve brought someone else onto the payroll. I also not aware of C&K’s total wealth but I’d prefer to see any spare money invested in players. I know I’m not a person in the know and know that they want the best for the club, but neither do I want to see them taken exploited for their caring attitude. Yes, we’ve got to get it right but is this person, what they used to call a scout.

21 minutes ago, Playa Amodores said:

I thought with Clarke and Flitcroft they’d have knowledge of affordable players who would suit the team that they are creating. Will someone please explain the role of DOF to me, as I’m not fully understanding why we’ve brought someone else onto the payroll. I also not aware of C&K’s total wealth but I’d prefer to see any spare money invested in players. I know I’m not a person in the know and know that they want the best for the club, but neither do I want to see them taken exploited for their caring attitude. Yes, we’ve got to get it right but is this person, what they used to call a scout.

Put as simply as I can:

DoF is a long term role who sets the direction of all things football at the club, from Youth team, to First team... having the same philosophy, tactics, strategy etc

DoF is in charge of a large number of people including all the scouts, coaches, physios, data analysts, scouts, youth team manager and importantly first team manager.

So if First team manager gets things wrong... DoF is the one who holds him to account.

First team manager is HOPEFULLY a long term appointment, but the world of football moves quickly... lets look at the positive side... if DC wins promotion next year and then gets us in and around the playoffs in league 1 ... he will get offered a bigger job on money we cant afford. He would move on.

Without a DoF we would then be starting from scratch... What type of player do we want, how do the coaches want to train the kids... I heard a story about when Michael Brown took over as manager... he went to the youth team coaches and said "I want you to work on their "Explosiveness" ... now that was a brand new instruction and wasnt what they had been doing... Im not sure of its true, but if it is Im assuming it would have meant new training regimes.

With a DoF the direction of the club, recruitment strategy, approach to training, approach to fitness and physios stays the same... all we need to do it replace the person in charge of the first team who then slots into the group of people DoF is in charge of. 

The best example of this is when Dean Smith left Brentford... their fans used a line which really stuck with me... They said "You can have him, he is just the tip of the iceberg of a huge machine that works in the background to make the football club successful, he will be replaced, the machine wont change how it pays, trains or recruits ... and it will keep improving"... that machine is run by a man called Rasmus Ankersen who is their director of football

2 hours ago, Playa Amodores said:

No.

I'll try and avoid cliches here.

A Director of Football does more than scout. A Director of Football will lead the recruitment, and will decide what sort of squad the club wishes to build. For example, Flitcroft may decide that a certain playing style is most effective for us. Players will be signed to ensure this, and should Clarke depart then the Director of Football can appoint a manager who will suit this style, so another squad overhaul isn't needed. The Director of Football usually handles the financial negotiations too, lifting the weight from Clarke. The DoF will work season-long to build recruitment lists of potential signings, when the manager is focused on day-to-day training and match preparation.

However, Flitcroft's role extends more at Vale. We have been a club who operates like a 1990s club, with recruitment done through contacts and agents, no real identity, no integration of data into evaluating prospects etc. We're John Rudge's club without the genius of Rudge.

Flitcroft came for a managerial interview and identified that the club was not set up correctly, something which Carol admitted was a blind spot due to a lack of football expertise in the club. Flitcroft is now overseeing the introduction of these modern methods (sports science, data, better coaching) which should set the club up when him + DC have gone.

Its a gamble, and it all may backfire, but I commend Carol for trying to move our decrepit club into the modern era. Most clever clubs operate in a similar way.

1 hour ago, Conrad said:

Recruitment expert? Isn’t that Flitcroft job?

It’s Flitcrofts job to be in charge of the overall strategy, process and approach for recruitment.

This guy is a data analyst expert who will be trawling through all the data available for players.

Think Jonah Hill’s character (Peter Brand) in Moneyball. Flickers role is more like Brad Pitt’s character (Billy Beane). If you haven’t seen moneyball I highly recommend it! 

Archived