onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Favourite Port Vale Goals

Rocky

The talk of celebrated Port Vale goals over the years got me thinking of my favourites. They don't have to be thunderbolts, it might be the situation in the game, what the result meant, just a great moment in time.

I'd love to see your top 3 and why, even though a lot will be self explanatory:

3rd Place: Bogie's 12 second goal against Vale. One of a handful of home games I missed between 1994 and 1999 and I had to miss this huge moment. I was gutted that I was at home listening to it on the radio. Ian Bogie always seemed to step up in the big games, pretty sure he scored at Stoke in another derby and the two goals against Everton in the FA Cup spring to mind too. Compared to Gazza, and rightfully so, there were flashes of absolute brilliance on his day.

2nd Place: I think this game nearly killed me. I'm pretty sure it was on a Sunday afternoon and I was in the Bycars, top left as you look up to the stand and we were 1-0 down with minutes left and I had school the next day and I was seriously panicking about the abuse the Stoke fans were going to give me. One thing I never noticed before but for Stoke's goal, I've never seen that much bend on a header in my life. The ball in from Guppy, Keegan said he was like a left-sided Beckham and I'm not going to disagree. I worked in the club shop as a 16 year old part-time while at college and I remember Guppy had left and was at Leicester I think and he came into the shop before the game and I was so nervous speaking to him and he was the nicest guy, a lovely vibe about him too.

1st Place: Martin Foyle's 2nd, Vale's third goal against Brighton clinching promotion. I was there that day in Brighton, when Foyle scores his second I'm off to the left behind the goal. I'm pretty sure Ray Walker was sat in front of us a few rows down. I know my choices have been all from the Rudge era and there have been moments since then worthy of anyone's top 3 (Pope v Man City, the comeback in the LDV final, promotion with Adams) but these moments instantly came to mind just from how they still make me feel today. I was close to putting the Autoglass goals in, Kerr's finish off the outside of his boot is a beauty.

Advert

Wowzers! How to pick?

At least 3 of my top 10 are Ian Bogie, and he only scored a handful of goals for us!

Leon Constantine to put us 1 up against Tottenham in the league cup. Best mental ever.

To think, we were 10 minutes away from a 1/4 final against Southend...

2 minutes ago, sandyford_valiant said:

Always fondly remembered and it’s stuck in my mind for some reason the Ray Walker thunderbolt against Blackpool in 92 at home. Played a little one two with Taylor and he smashed one from fully 35/40 yards into the roof of the net. What a player he was. 

It's a shame we didn't have him a bit later into the 90's, Walker in the middle with McCarthy and Guppy out wide, Naylor and Foyle up top. Dynamite.

1st choice for me would be the 3rd goal at Brighton, we had endured an awful journey down there, our coach had broke down around 2 hours into the journey, waited an absolute age for the replacement.  Listening to Radio 5 on the way there as we did not get there until 55 minutes into the game. I still remember the coach journey and saying there had been goals at Brighton and complete silence until we knew we had scored and then lots of singing.  The Police then would not let us into the packed away end as they said there was no room, but thankfully allowed us to go into the home end opposite.  The Brighton fans were great and did not mind us having a big mental when Foyle scored that goal.

2nd choice again Foyle against Stoke to beat them for the 1st time in the FA Cup, great night and enjoyed going to school the next day.

3rd choce and it would be the equalizer by Slaven at Exeter to send us to Wembley.

1) Robbie Earle v Bristol Rovers play off final mainly due to it's importance and emotional value.

2) Tony Naylor v Sunderland Spin on the half way line and curled shot into the top corner.

3) Ian Bogie v Stoke City 12 second goal because of the quality of the finish.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived