Transfer rumours, targets & new signings

Doha

27 minutes ago, valeparklife said:

image.png.39248be4f01822ba8df942e58cbe110b.png

image.png.19cad8afea5ad09fde6477cc0a6a7f72.png

Oldham fans liked him then 😂😂😂

The one thing i will say is that imo DC and DF are no mugs so if he was that bad can you see them paying a fee for a player like that. I will wait until he plays for vale before i judge him

• Like 1

Advert:

16 minutes ago, werstayinup said:

It will make no difference at all if Hartlepool are promoted

Sounds like a done deal werstayinup... What if he breaks his leg in the playoffs? Are we fully tied in, or just an agreement at this stage?

Also, we need to sign 15 players.

15 Worrall-esque signings would break the bank.

Also, we only need like 5 decent signings and a serviceable supporting cast to get playoffs+

• Like 1

Advert:

11 minutes ago, philmpv said:

Like Oyeleke, talentwise one of our best players for years. Or Hannant, who's just won promotion? Talent is what matters at this level, not how many games you've played. If a players got the talent that's a very good starting point. Much rather that than a player with 300 league games all at L2 in crap teams myself. Extreme example but Jamie Vardy was in non league until he was 25

Aldershot fans were raving about Oyeleke though. And Hannant was rated by Gateshead fans too.

I'm not being negative as I know different clubs/teams/environments can bring out the best in players.

I always remind myself of Darlington fans when we signed Sodje! 😂😂

• Like 5

Advert:

Clarke's got a decent record of picking up relatively unsung talent and bringing the players on.
Two examples - he signed Matty Taylor from Forest Green where he'd scored 3 goals in 27 games in the Conference and Clarke turned him into a 20-odd goal a season striker for Bristol Rovers. He transformed Wes McDonald at Walsall who'd played 20-odd games in four years for his four previous clubs and transformed him into a key first-team player.
He's not going to get every signing right, clearly, but I think it shows that on occasion he can take someone with a fairly unimpressive record elsewhere and transform him into a real asset for a team.
It may work, it may not in this case, but I'm happy with one or two "chancers" in the squad. As long as it's one or two gambles and not lots of them then I can't see it being a problem, and there's an awful lot more players to come in this summer yet.
He managed to sell zack Jules for a couple of hundred grand
  • Like 3

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I'm quite happy signing players that do not come rated as super stars. If they did, we wouldn't be able to afford them. Fortunately, we've got Pope, Manny and Browny off the payroll and can hopefully use the money sensibly.

Embrace signings which are 'under the radar' it's the only way we will build a top team.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Like Oyeleke, talentwise one of our best players for years. Or Hannant, who's just won promotion? Talent is what matters at this level, not how many games you've played. If a players got the talent that's a very good starting point. Much rather that than a player with 300 league games all at L2 in crap teams myself. Extreme example but Jamie Vardy was in non league until he was 25
Vardy another Aspin signing.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Advert:

Oldham are absolute pony regardless. Carried by a player called 'Bahamboula'. Give over. Non-serious entity and tinpot affair. Dismiss their opinions and move forward. 

Garrity is a player I do not envisage starting much immediately, with the likes of Conlon and Taylor in the squad. However, I have long-called for us to sign players before their prime hits who have raw ingredients but need some good coaching, trust, and minutes. He moved up 4 divisions and Oldham were his first experience at professional level.

Garrity is undoubtedly a gamble but a 3 year deal + undisclosed fee suggests that the people behind the Matrix are confident there is something to work with. 3 years also suggest we're not expecting Day 1 perfection, but see him as a project (like Rodney and Taylor) of players with good attributes and room to grow, who can develop and utilise at a later date. This is how good football clubs are run folks. You combine proven players with gambles and if half of your gambles come in, you profit immeasurably. 

We simply cannot waltz out and sign 23 ready-made, League 2 quality footballers; you couldn't possibly afford it/keep all of them happy. I try to be realistic and accept that, for the people who scout players using Wiki numbers and 'do I recognise his name?', this signing may underwhelm and not 'inspire'. We have to sign players with an eye down the line.

All that being said, this lad is world class and we are storming this dismal division with 100 points. 

Edited by Joe B
  • Like 5

Will also say now so some of you calm down; League 2 recruitment is a crapshoot. We are signing 12-15 players this summer. Not every single one will be a resounding success; there's too many variables. 

However, if 8-10 can demonstrably improve things, then we'll be in a much better place with a much younger squad to grow. Some folk are expecting 15/15 hits and maybe take the tongue-in-cheek 'Matrix' and 'War Room' comments seriously, when really we're just recruiting like other clever clubs. Those clubs balls up signings too, but for every ballsed up signing, you get three right.

Garrity may be the former or latter, but I commend the club for finding the player and trusting him to develop. We have established the coaching setup to help this lad and this is what we should have been doing for the last decade. Find the gems and back your set up to improve him. We can't sign the finished product every time.

Some lads on here would love Nicky Ajose because he's a name, I swear. 

Edited by Joe B
  • Like 1

• robf changed the title to Transfer rumours, targets & new signings