Transfer rumours, targets & new signings

Doha

51 minutes ago, Bob Newtonian said:

Same here... always remember his old fashioned green goalies top and gloves

Don't forget the jogging round the penalty area with his arms in the air. Occasionally he did it even when play was up the other end.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Advert:

5 hours ago, Iron Curtain said:

Fiacre Kelleher released from Wrexham which their fans are shocked at.

He was brilliant for Macc a few seasons back and had a number of clubs after him... they exercised an option to keep him at the club and then went down on the points deduction leaving him in limbo and ended up at Wrexham.

Their fans say he is statistically one of the best CBs in the league.

25, 6ft 3

He is the type of player that could be a genius pick up as cover at CB (a replacement for Brisley effectively)... shown glimpses of brilliance but never found the right platform.

Can only think he has something lined up. Felt sorry for him as he ended up stuck at Macclesfield until the bitter end. For the month before the transfer deadline he was their only registered player. By the time he was available the deadline was over and squads had been submitted. If they weren't I think he would probably have got a league 1 club. For me he is much better than a backup at league 2 level.

There is a rumour that Kelleher was released because he was already in talks with a couple of league one clubs and us. At Macclesfield he was a player who seemed to win every header. Very similar to Legg. 

8 hours ago, Boslem's Brazil said:

It’s going to be a ding dong of a pre season on here. Already the ‘should of kept Brown/Pope etc’ brigade are critical of the first signing without seeing him kick a ball. I’m in the ‘buying into the matrix’ camp, and see how a physical DM fits into what we are trying to achieve. It will be an interesting few weeks, that’s for sure. 

People moaning at a first signing amazes me but doesn't surprise me,we have signed a player who was at a League One team,a player who has played plenty of games at League 2 level........ maybe we should just go back to signing ex Macc Town players

• Like 4

Advert:

2 hours ago, werstayinup said:

People moaning at a first signing amazes me but doesn't surprise me,we have signed a player who was at a League One team,a player who has played plenty of games at League 2 level........ maybe we should just go back to signing ex Macc Town players

Correct,

He he a solid signing to me probably the sun is getting to some

13 hours ago, soothsayer said:

I met John Connaughton years later and he said although he played nigh on 200 games for Vale, he’s always remembered for letting a grubber through his legs at home to Walsall. 🙄

Oh yes....I'm 63 and still get occasional flashbacks to that.......the stunned silence for about 3 seconds before the outpouring of grief and anger still lingers! Sad int it really.....should know better.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, JRC said:

Can only think he has something lined up. Felt sorry for him as he ended up stuck at Macclesfield until the bitter end. For the month before the transfer deadline he was their only registered player. By the time he was available the deadline was over and squads had been submitted. If they weren't I think he would probably have got a league 1 club. For me he is much better than a backup at league 2 level.

That’s it... I couldnt remember exactly how he got stuck at Wrexham!

Thanks JRC

Advert:

20 minutes ago, ClntonBoulton said:

Oh yes....I'm 63 and still get occasional flashbacks to that.......the stunned silence for about 3 seconds before the outpouring of grief and anger still lingers! Sad int it really.....should know better.

He was one of my favourite players when he first signed. Did his form drop after that howler? At his best he seemed way better initially (I was 6) than during the latter period when he and Trevor Dance were about on a par? First season at the club he was my favourite player.

I reckon Flitcroft didn't bother checking his injury record.

He's logged onto OVF and seen the lads have taken a look at Wiki and counted his games up over the last three years.

He breaks out in a cold sweat. He forgot the blasted injuries! Too late now; contracts signed. He'll know to do his research next time, the silly goose.

Edited by Joe B
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Fwiw, if you do a crumb of research, you'll see that in Season 1 at Shrewsbury he'd just climbed two divisions and wasn't quite fit/sharp enough (he was also only 23). He'd played 150 professional games at that point. 

After that season was curtailed by COVID, he got himself fit (https://www.shropshirestar.com/sport/football/shrewsbury-town-fc/2020/09/15/shrewsbury-town-midfielder-brad-walker-a-different-man/) and was a regular player before picking up ONE bad ankle injury in December. Wikipedia is outdated too; it has him down for 17 games last season when he in fact played 27.

He played in 14 of the first 15 games last season (starting eight) in a team in the division above, before one bad injury ruled him out for 3 months. He finished the season starting 3 of the last 4.

Yes, it's not ideal he picked up an ankle ligament injury, but he came back to feature and doesn't have a history of loads of injuries, as some suggest.

Edited by Joe B
  • Like 5

14 minutes ago, JRC said:

He was one of my favourite players when he first signed. Did his form drop after that howler? At his best he seemed way better initially (I was 6) than during the latter period when he and Trevor Dance were about on a par? First season at the club he was my favourite player.

My main memory of JC is that he didn't waste a dive on a lost cause. If he didn't think he could save a shot he didn't move. 

From what I have seen the injuries he has had have been nasty on field ones that would have felled a donkey (nothing against donkeys, they’ve served Vale well in the past) as opposed to the “resting with a niggle or came off because he felt his hamstring” type of injury.

Big lad some years younger than Joyce but with plenty of experience who obviously knows where the net is and can be used as a CB in an emergency, what’s not to like.

• Like 2

Advert:

Christ, I can feel the 'injury prone' cliche and narrative taking hold now. 

Wikipedia has been a disaster for football. Fans should either admit they know nothing about a player or do some proper research.

Those little list of numbers on the right has every fan thinking they can accurately surmise a player's history. 

Walker has had one bad injury. Stop doing mental maths and getting the wrong answer. FFS. 

Edited by Joe B
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, werstayinup said:

Well funny you should say that Theo Vassell another freed by Wrexham. 

On a serious note he had a belting game at Bury away in his last ever appearance for us. 

Sadly on here as expected Walker written off before a ball kicked in anger. 

After all the anger and bemusement by Clarke about our injuries when he came in February do people think he'd damage his own reputation by signing Manny and Forrester rolled into one . 

This was a touch concerning though when I saw him on the Lorne street car park 

istockphoto-158464430-1024x1024.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

• robf changed the title to Transfer rumours, targets & new signings