Transfer rumours, targets & new signings

Doha

Formations have nothing to do with an awful first touch, poor shooting accuracy, lack of footballing intelligence etc etc. He might do alright for Walsall, he might not. But he'll never suddenly become "very good" as long as he's got a hole in his arse. Even last season, despite scoring more than most would have expected, at times he looked like a pub player. But that could be excused to an extent as it was the first time in his career he was starting most weeks in the football league.

Well time will tell who is right and who is wrong. Will happily concede the point if he bombs out. Still a number of clubs considered his first touch, shooting etc good enough to offer a fee and a number of people on here hope we have a sell on clause. Let's see.

Advert:

With regards to offering Rodney a new contract. Why offer one to a player who cannot get into the first team and has eighteen months left on his current contract.
And why would a player with that long left on his contract be interested in discussing one with so long left on his contract.
However I do believe he was offered one, albeit a poor one, knowing full well under the circumstances the player would not have been interested at this stage, with so long left on his contract.
They wanted him gone, but if after leaving, he becomes very successful then the management have a cast iron excuse saying they had no choice as he wanted to leave and refused a contract.
Truth being he was never going to fit into Clarkes style of play, so wanted rid. Playing as a central striker having high balls lumped up to him with his back to goal, was never going to suit him. They know he has potential though so just covered themselves by offering a contract.
Clarke may well be right and Rodney may prove to be a bit of a damp squib at Walsall. Only time will tell. If he was as bad as so many say. Why are so many hoping we have a sell on clause.

Our management team want to do well, that involves making difficult decisions and standing by them with conviction.

They are not Norman Smurfwaite and don't need to offer someone a dismal contract that they won't accept.

They have the confidence that they make enough correct decisions that the odd one that is a mistake doesn't matter.

What if he had signed the contract you speculate that they didn't want him to sign. Surely turning down the security of a long term contract would be foolish for a modern day lower league footballer.

I am disappointed to see Rodney go he is a player that has the attributes that can scare the life out of a defender. It has been painful at times this season watching him struggle to play as a striker. With the formation we play it makes sense to reinvest onto other areas of the pitch.
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, PV1973 said:

Still lots of criticism of Rodney, he’s had a poor stop start season yes. But no way is he as bad as is now being made out. Anyone would think he’s played every game for 18 months for us like a kid getting knocked off the ball all the time whilst chasing his first touch. It’s just not true at all. 

He's rubbish far more often than not. There's nothing that isn't true about that statement. He has his moments like just about every other player. 1 goal in 17 appearances this season, plenty of them starts, is Danny Glover level's of poor.

Edited by Beech

11 hours ago, valiant_593 said:

What happens if say Wilson is poor from now until the end of the season or Conlon, do we bin them as well?

Not just about been poor. Aptitude and mindset big part as well. I've said on more than once, unfortunately Rodney will always remain an unpolished diamond. Sad really because we did see glimpses of what he is capable of.

Advert:

Interesting the differing views on Rodney, where in some ways what we saw last season in terms of impact mirror Politic this year.  Moments of sheer brilliance / stunning strikes, at others totally anonymous.  His languid style coupled with our 352 system have certainly done him no favours in adhering him to the crowd or management.

He may end up drifting into non league, he may go on a scoring spree and be quickly sold higher up the pyramid like Marcus Bent was after showing precious little at The Vale.  If it’s the latter, I hope there was a sell on clause, and that it hasn’t been crossed out to ‘smooth the deal’.

Edited by Bald Eagle

8 hours ago, Budgie_2260 said:

A sell on clause is sensible business, I believe we added one to the Johnson deal when he moved to Stockport.

Out of interest, which position in our current system do you think suited Rodney best?

Exeter insist on sell ons in all their deals i think and it works for them so like you say its good that we are doing that because you never know

• Like 1

8 hours ago, johnjeffersfanclub said:

Where does the faith in Hussey come from, given he hasn't beaten the first man since he arrived? And why would you take Cooper over Politic? And what has the new CM done that Burgess hasn't? Just interested to understand what makes you rate a player.

For goodness sake the man has played 2 games for us and in his second he was close to motm for me so do you think sometimes a player needs a couple of games to settle in,his record shows he has nothing to prove,his quality is there

• Like 4

Advert:

36 minutes ago, Port Vale Paul said:

Not just about been poor. Aptitude and mindset big part as well. I've said on more than once, unfortunately Rodney will always remain an unpolished diamond. Sad really because we did see glimpses of what he is capable of.

We’ll see, if he plays for smallsall today, we’ll know he wasn’t injured, in which case it was probably due to attitude as to why he wasn’t playing.

in which case if he didn’t want to play,it was the right decision to get rid.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, werstayinup said:

I see a lot on social media about this big turnaround of players,yes a lot have come and gone BUT not one who has left were first team regulars and most who have come in look like upgrades on who have left...our problem with the first team has been the disruption due to injuries

We don't have any first team regulars apart from Pett, Smith and Wozza, plus Covolan who isn't available. Todays squad looks more like a pre season friendly squad to me. 

18 minutes ago, werstayinup said:

For goodness sake the man has played 2 games for us and in his second he was close to motm for me so do you think sometimes a player needs a couple of games to settle in,his record shows he has nothing to prove,his quality is there

Thought he was brilliant against orient. 

• Like 1

We’ll see, if he plays for smallsall today, we’ll know he wasn’t injured, in which case it was probably due to attitude as to why he wasn’t playing.
in which case if he didn’t want to play,it was the right decision to get rid.
He probably was injured initially. But for the last few weeks has been kept out of the side as Vale were looking to sell him on. Hence lack of updates on the injury.
Which is not a criticism of Vale. It would be the common sense thing to do especially as we were looking for a decent fee.
Nothing to do with the player not wanting to play or attitude.

I think we have to trust the decisions.  It's what they live or die by.

Burgess, Legge would of been freed anyway in the summer. For the record I liked both. 

Johnson it never happened for him. A lot of critics on here when he did play. We made a profit on him and wish him well. I think I'm right he's only sub so far at Stockport. 

The enigma of Rodney.  From the sublime to the ridiculous. A footballing brain the size of a pea but then capable of a 30 yard screamer. We've seen excuses/validations about his form, covid, new baby, heel injury, back injury etc. This season has been a shocker for him. And whilst I've never booed him he's tested my patience with a seemingly lack of interest or effort. And yes there were brilliant pieces like at Burton but he never excited me any longer as an impact sub. His Vale career was as flat as a witches t*t . It's good business letting him go. 

I do think a forward is a must on Monday but let's get behind the players today and who knows a win and a couple of results our way we are back in the picture. 

Players come and go. It's us fans who stay for life. 

Edited by darren1810
  • Like 3

Advert:

12 hours ago, 1 said:

The transfer window has been kind to Vale in January, in the first one under a professional regime for years. What a weird coincidence.

yeah its weird isnt it. If i didnt know better, id almost think someone knows what they are doing.

The old Gary Player comment springs to mind here - "The more I practice, the luckier I get" 😁

• Like 2

Legge liked him but getting on 

Johnson not really given a run of games so couldn't really judge .

Burgess I quite like him also under Askey when we were quite clearly playing well till covid first time did us in .

Amos not played pointless the lad being at the club .

Whitehead scored on debut but lacked ooomph

Lloyd injured won free kicks instead for us to benefit decent player .

Cass joins in a tremendous player always positive bad news we lost the lad to injury .

Rodney lacked something but overall at times when played looks a right player but somethings gone on behind the scenes sad see him go though as his pace alone didn't allow the opposition the audacity come too far forwards with the ball at the back  as his pace would hurt them .Liked him felt he could have become pivotal as season progresses.

Politic give me the best 3 moments of the season off the  bench v Orient Barrow and Burton .

Got money for Johnson and Rodney so good business practice .

Look forwards to seeing the  new broom  

Like others I was very excited and optimistic towards the start of this window when we bought in Hussey and Hall (who don't get me wrong have been solid). However when we lost Politic (who was a gamechanger from the bench and influenced our points total), it started to go downhill. We were still in a decent position in the league at the start and still are considering anything can happen in the amount of games that are left, however I think there is a lot of work to do as it's almost like the start of the season again where we have to get the new players gelled in. We have lost some to injuries which is frustrating and although Rodney's goal total this year has not been good enough, he has not been as terrible as some say when I've seen him play and he is another option up front which we have struggled with recently. This is not me writing off our chances of play offs but I do think it's now a big ask considering the injuries to key players.