Transfer rumours, targets & new signings

Doha

11 minutes ago, Joe B said:

A massive turnover for a January.

Rodney didn't improve in the areas he'd need to to play any higher, but if played in the right system and with confidence he is a reasonable League 2 winger/wide forward, as he proved throughout last season.

I think for Walsall, who are in full rebuild mode, this is a decent signing - a high-upside player who can, at the least, sporadically produce as a winger. He might be as rubbish as he has been this season, but he got 11 goals in the Whitehead/Mills/Robinson era. I'm not exactly upset to see him go, and with rumours about off-the-field concerns I understand it.

I'm not at all sure about the level of turnover. Some has been enforced, some has been clearly through choice. We're not at a stage where we've got a game tomorrow and the squad has been changed more than it sometimes is in the summer. We're reliant on a lot of immediate bedding-in, which considering out insistence on an early pre-season and getting the 'right group', seems a bit counter-productive.

Can’t say I’m thrilled with it either. It’s a reasonably big turn around for a summer window nevermind January. We’re really struggling for goals and whilst Rodney has been down right awful at times this season, he can score at this level as we saw last season. Is this what we will see again in the summer? No idea what our 11 or even squad will be tomorrow, could kind of understand it if we were languishing in the bottom 2; but we haven’t done too bad thus far so not sure this level of change was required! Hope there’s a sell on fee as you never know with Rodney. 

Edited by valiant_593

34 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

Good luck to Rodney. Flattered to deceive.

As a side issue i'll be fuming if he's made a lazarus like recovery and features for them seeing as we haven't seen sight nor sound of him since Bristol Rovers.

Obviously be the infamous 'undisclosed fee '. 

Never saw him at his best as this season has been a total write off for him .

To anyone, other than Walsall 

• Like 1

Out: Legge, Johnson, Politic, Cass, Lloyd, Burgess, Whitehead, Amos, Rodney

In: Holy, Hussey, Hall, Charsley, Cooper, Edmonson, Harratt, RCB on loan on Monday

Gibbo and Conlon out for 3-4 weeks.

We're very light on the ground in forward areas. Wilson (unfit), Edmonson (untested), Harratt (untested), Cooper (untested), Amoo (winger), Proctor (injured).

If all of this churn comes off, Flitcroft will look a genius.

Edited by Joe B

16 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

Just out of interest who was Rodney’s replacement? 

I think he was expected to start up top with Wilson with Proctor as back up. Obviously Proctor forced his way into the side. I think Rodney started as number one striker until Proctor had to be picked. The only goal Rodney scored trickled over the line after a miss hit although they all count,.

He's barely been seen since Swindon which i think was September 11th. The previous week he was atrocious/disinterested as a sub against Rochdale and then incredibly got selected at Swindon where in fairness he played very well.

The biggest issue for me is that Clarke’s now got to re-build another great team spirit, good togetherness and most importantly a winning mentality.

It seemed like we had all of these factors at one point. 

It all seems very strange if you ask me. It’s like two seasons in one.

We've gone from expecting top 3 / play offs to having no idea what to expect. 

Regarding Devante I was told when we signed him , from somebody who knew him from his younger years at Man C that he had a terrible attitude- I dismissed this as he was now a Vale player. Maybe some truth in it now , hence the sale and performance’s 

3 minutes ago, Joe B said:

I think it's entirely possible to feel a bit overwhelmed by the amount of transfers and still 'get down to Vale Park and get behind the lads'.

I didn't say it wasn't. I'm just wondering what people wanted us to do...

Just sit & not get reinforcements in? We've got about 7/8 players who virtually walk into our first 11, out injured. His hand has been forced.

• Like 5

45 minutes ago, Sam Kelly's Left Boot said:

Good luck Rodders my son.

Well if his own dad thinks he’s <ovf censored> he never had a chance.

3 minutes ago, ValiantEffort said:

Regarding Devante I was told when we signed him , from somebody who knew him from his younger years at Man C that he had a terrible attitude- I dismissed this as he was now a Vale player. Maybe some truth in it now , hence the sale and performance’s 

He liked being the best striker in a <ovf censored> side, didn’t like being an afterthought in a much better team. Stinks of ego, and he’s no loss.