• OVF player sponsorship 2022

£10 to enter. More details and a link to donate can be found here

Transfer rumours, targets & new signings

Doha

5 minutes ago, valeparklife said:

"For a ball-playing midfielder he is a powerful athlete and, once up to speed, a strong runner. He is effective in each box and his height often sees Ricketts elect to use him at centre-half."

https://www.shropshirestar.com/sport/football/shrewsbury-town-fc/2020/10/23/shrewsbury-towns-brad-walker-has-seen-off-doubters/

Thanks, that's a great write up - well worth reading for an insight into what goes through players' minds as their fortunes ebb and flow.

Looks a really good signing - just imagining him behind Conlon and an in-form Taylor in a midfield three.

Exciting times!

• Like 1

Advert:

1 minute ago, Mario said:

6ft 1" bit bigger than the usual vale midfielder

To succeed in this league you need height throughout the team, yes we want to play nice footbalk but we all know teams down the bottom of the league love to make it a battle and set pieces play a massive part in this league so to add in height to the team will stand us in good stead 

Advert:

2 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

Quick Squizz at the Shrewsbury forum and the thread which discusses their released list... A lot of posts about how they would have preferred he stayed and be given a proper run in the side.

If fans of a club league above are saying wanting him to stay then that makes it a even better signing in my opinion

• Like 2

Mixed bag from the Shrews forum:

I think Walker is massively underrated. He can do a decent job at CB. For a big lad is actually capable of taking a player on and bursting forward from defensive mid and has a decent shot on him. He was s**te last season but if it wasn't for injuries this season he would have kept his place all season imo.

I’d give Davies two years. Walker maybe another half a season to see if he can get over his injuries as he is versatile and a competent cover option

I haven’t seen anything in Brad Walker to determine he should be given an extension. I think he’ll be one of the first out.

Walker and Udoh are simply not up to the standard required if we are going to threaten the play offs next year.

Sears and Barnett and Walker will possibly get offered reduced deals, as squad players.

Vincelot is too injury prone to risk keeping in a small squad but Walker has looked useful at times and might be worth another year

I'd try to keep Whalley (1 year contract) Main, Goss, Davis and maybe Walker, though he does seem to have his fitness issues. Season long loan for Pyke. 

Advert:

On 02/06/2021 at 14:13, Doha said:

Was just about to post that Joe. A younger Joyce replacement who can hopefully play some long splitting diagonals.  

Also 6"1, you <ovf censored> Whites.

• Haha 1

Mixed bag from the Shrews forum:
I think Walker is massively underrated. He can do a decent job at CB. For a big lad is actually capable of taking a player on and bursting forward from defensive mid and has a decent shot on him. He was s**te last season but if it wasn't for injuries this season he would have kept his place all season imo.
I’d give Davies two years. Walker maybe another half a season to see if he can get over his injuries as he is versatile and a competent cover option
I haven’t seen anything in Brad Walker to determine he should be given an extension. I think he’ll be one of the first out.
Walker and Udoh are simply not up to the standard required if we are going to threaten the play offs next year.
Sears and Barnett and Walker will possibly get offered reduced deals, as squad players.
Vincelot is too injury prone to risk keeping in a small squad but Walker has looked useful at times and might be worth another year
I'd try to keep Whalley (1 year contract) Main, Goss, Davis and maybe Walker, though he does seem to have his fitness issues. Season long loan for Pyke. 

Nothing like OVF then
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Vale1995 said:

If fans of a club league above are saying wanting him to stay then that makes it a even better signing in my opinion

Those that said they would release him also point out that they are overstocked in defensive Midfielders with 3 others on the books.

Advert:

Loves a goal from distance. Won Shrews' goal of the season just gone with a 30 yardee into the top corner, plenty of YouTube footage of him doing the same for Hartlepool (edit : it's been posted above)

Looks a decent signing.

Edited by gavcradd

• robf changed the title to Transfer rumours, targets & new signings