Transfer rumours, targets & new signings

Doha

No disrespect to Politic as he did a great job for us but hopefully this lad will be fitter and ready to do 90 mins
When is his contract up? could this be a view to a permanent deal in the summer?
Think he's contracted to June 2023

1 hour ago, Jacko51 said:

Stone was fine at Orient.

Covolan has been fine, mostly, and Stone has been, too...but I thought he was a bit iffy against Brentford - although, fair play, he made a couple of double saves but I thought his distribution was poor?

• Like 1

Cov = 1

Stone = 2

becomes

Holy = 1

Cov = 2

Stone = 3 then released at the end of the season

I’m sure if all parties agree and Holy has a good stint then Holy and Cov next season could well be our goalkeeping lineup. In that case it’s obviously an upgrade as he’s not a replacement for Cov in the squad, he could well be a permanent signing to replace Stone in time.

I know injuries are still a huge problem, but just look down the list of players in the squad now and imagine them all fit. The squad is terrifying now.

• Like 2

I think when we’ve lost it’s been the defending that’s let us down the most, but it’s a great signing. And cooper too, good bizniz.

Stone has looked fine for me. A few shanked clearances but usually from rubbish back passes.  Cov, is pretty good. I'd put his last one down to a brain fart.  If he wanted to stick one on McKirdy he could just have flattened him without foot up. 

I'd certainly have him back as #1, but on a final warning about daftness.  But I think he can cut it out of his game.  Not sure another goalie should have been on our list. We should have a youth team goalie who can warm the bench for a couple of games in this situation.

Edited by toyahw
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, werstayinup said:

No disrespect to Politic as he did a great job for us but hopefully this lad will be fitter and ready to do 90 mins

When is his contract up? could this be a view to a permanent deal in the summer?

I wondered if Vale got an option to buy in the loan deal?  If he does well it would be a shame to lose him. 

11 minutes ago, valeparklife said:

Omar Bogle has ended up at Hartlepool!

That’s a big shock. I imagine his agent has worked overtime with half of L2 to get him out of Donny and generate the best deal. 

4 hours ago, Jacko51 said:

He played two seasons for Torquay and never had a card of any colour.

Thats fair enough. Usually players and managers talk to people they know in the league or at the club just to see if they can find out what the players like. That’s how many transfers get sounded out to find out any other possible issues or traits of the players outside of the data and stats that’s on paper. 

Edited by PV1973

2 hours ago, The French Connection said:

I wondered if Vale got an option to buy in the loan deal?  If he does well it would be a shame to lose him. 

Politic has gone to a higher level league - Serie B with Cremonese. They have won their last 4 games, sit 5th in the table and are pushing for promotion. Our new signing Joel Cooper has to prove he can step out of NI football and play regularly at League 2 level creating chances and scoring goals.  

2 hours ago, valeparklife said:

Stone has always looked a pretty competent keeper whenever I've seen him?

Am I missing a howler he's had or something? Why is everyone thinking he will be released?

Covolan has looked a good goalkeeper in the second half of the first half of the season. But then madness descended and that was a big loss to Swindon. I thought we got massacred first half but could have been miraculously level at half time when a regroup might have seen us win it. 

Stone looks very professional for me, but I have not seen him much to form a good opinion. I didn't object to his being between the sticks so far. 

The signing of Holy is bringing in a keeper who has played a lot of games at the higher League 1 level. He has surely been brought into play and not sit on the bench which is what he's been doing at Ipswich in 2021/22 after playing regularly in 2020/21. I am hoping he will significantly improve our defence in the air on free kicks and corners. 

Does this mean one of our keepers is moving on? With age rule its a precious place taken up to have three keepers?

Edited by Warren
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Warren said:

Covolan has looked a good goalkeeper in the second half of the first half of the season. But then madness descended and that was a big loss to Swindon. I thought we got massacred first half but could have been miraculously level at half time when a regroup might have seen us win it. 

Stone looks very professional for me, but I have not seen him much to form a good opinion. I didn't object to his being between the sticks so far. 

The signing of Holy is bringing in a keeper who has played a lot of games at the higher League 1 level. He has surely been brought into play and not sit on the bench which is what he's been doing at Ipswich in 2021/22 after playing regularly in 2020/21. I am hoping he will significantly improve our defence in the air on free kicks and corners. 

Does this mean one of our keepers is moving on? With age rule its a precious place taken up to have three keepers?

I’m pretty sure keepers don’t count towards the squad limit.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Boslem's Brazil said:

I’m pretty sure keepers don’t count towards the squad limit.

Oh no!

We're not going back to collecting keepers again are we? 😱

• Haha 1