Transfer rumours, targets & new signings

Doha

1 hour ago, soothsayer said:

He’s been playing in Sunderland’s first team so I doubt they’ll loan him out again unless they have an upgrade planned.

He's been at Harrogate until this January, and was with them for part of the 2019/20 season when he didn't play for Sunderland at all. Has only played 3 games for Sunderland this season and the word is Harrogate are hopeful of getting him to the end of the season - unless somebody hijacks that?

Advert:

22 minutes ago, LancyTony said:

He's been at Harrogate until this January, and was with them for part of the 2019/20 season when he didn't play for Sunderland at all. Has only played 3 games for Sunderland this season and the word is Harrogate are hopeful of getting him to the end of the season - unless somebody hijacks that?

He can only play for two clubs in the same season according to EFL rules

If he’s played for Sunderland he can’t play for anyone else apart from them or Harrogate as can only play for 2 clubs a season.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Re Rodney

I think we have to remember Rodney the person, and not just Rodney the footballer.

We know he's become a father for the first time recently, so maybe this has affected his football?

It might not have, but as a father myself, I remember how hard those early months can be with the stress, pressure and sleepless nights of having to look after a newborn.

I wouldn't write him off just yet (unless those Walsall rumours are true and he's leaving today!

If he is, we must have got a fee, and I'd hope we would have someone lined up quickly ourselves?

• Like 5

I think the key signings this week will be replacements for Conlon and Gibbons, if they are both out long-term.

In my view, there isn't much coming back from the loss of your captain and best player. You take them out of any team and they'd fall off.

Finishing in the playoffs is now an aim and not as much of an expectation. Monumental week for Flitcroft and the recruitment department to plug the gaps. It can be done, but this is the time when we see if having a well-structured recruitment department pays off to the extent we hoped it would.

Edited by Joe B

Advert:

I just can’t believe the amount of injuries we have had ! It’s quite astonishing really! I just hope we can start to get a few back because although a few new signings may help we have some very good players out! And it’s not going to be easy to replace them.

A creative centre mid and an experienced striker needed. Big ask and probably a bridge too far in the timeframe left, but it would be nice. Wilson and Proctor alternating due to injury and fitness, partnering this new striker we need, the kids and Amooooo for pace and pressure off the bench. And someone to pass them the ball, that’s where the replacement for Pirlo comes in.

• Like 2

Don’t underestimate the impact of covid on players coming back. Worrall has high intensity and high fitness levels, the sort of thing covid likes to kibosh. 

• Like 1

On 21/01/2022 at 08:02, rob1983 said:

Lucas akins signs for Mansfield and we sign a couple of kids up top. Salford sign an experienced striker to. Why aren't we in for these type of players? Need a lee Hughes, bernie slaven kind of signing.

We are protecting our wage structure along with our dressing room.

• Like 2

Advert:

9 minutes ago, For Us All said:

We are protecting our wage structure along with our dressing room.

Protecting the club finances is good. We should never the risk the club's finances and I would never want Carol to do so. There is a budget we have to abide by.

Not signing good players, if the budget exists, as other professional footballers will be upset that someone earns more than them is counter-productive, imo.

Do you think the 12/13 squad were bothered that Lee Hughes was earning more than the rest of them by a considerable margin, or do you think they were too busy winning games and getting a promotion on their CV?

If there is a player we can get within our overall budget who can replace Gibbons, then we should go and get him. Why would the other players even know what a signing is on? 

Edited by Joe B
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m interested to know how the number of injuries compares to other seasons and also for newer players how injury prone they were before coming to us. I realise the concentration of injuries up top was unusual but not sure the rest isn’t within normal limits.

11 minutes ago, Joe B said:

If there is a player we can get within our overall budget who can replace Gibbons, then we should go and get him. Why would the other players even know what a signing is on? 

Not sure but don't some players have clauses in their contracts stipulating what their pay should be in relation to the rest of the squad? I'm sure I read that one of (our?) players had a clause stating they had to be the highest paid person in the team.

Wonder if we could tempt Omar Bogle down here? Just read that he's not really played for Doncaster.

Edited by mr.hobblesworth

Being strict with the salary structure also means you're only bringing in players that are motivated more by football/winning/wanting success over great pay for this level.

Salah at Liverpool wants £400k a week to sign a new contract, around double what anyone else is on at the club - if Liverpool yield then everyone in that starting 11 will expect a bump in pay to re-sign. It never just costs you more for the one player.

Every player is motivated by money. It's a job. You can get players who are motivated by success but also want renumeration as a very good footballer - not mutually exclusive at all. 

I don't understand how the squad would know what a new signing would be on? Unless the new player wants to announce it. Otherwise, it's a complete guessing game. 

Edited by Joe B

Advert:

10 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Protecting the club finances is good. We should never the risk the club's finances and I would never want Carol to do so. There is a budget we have to abide by.

Not signing good players, if the budget exists, as other professional footballers will be upset that someone earns more than them is counter-productive, imo.

Do you think the 12/13 squad were bothered that Lee Hughes was earning more than the rest of them by a considerable margin, or do you think they were too busy winning games and getting a promotion on their CV?

You'd have to ask the players who were in that promotion team about that but you seem to have already answered that question with your last sentence.

Anyway,I'm with DC,protect the wage structure

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Every player is motivated by money. It's a job. You can get players who are motivated by success but also want renumeration as a very good footballer - not mutually exclusive at all. 

I don't understand how the squad would know what a new signing would be on? Unless the new player wants to announce it. Otherwise, it's a complete guessing game. 

Yeah, that is why I said "motivated more by football/winning/wanting success over". I wasn't saying they're not motivated by money.

Regarding wage talk, it happens in a lot of workplaces. I see this in my job, managing people, they like to brag and compare pay.

Edited by Rocky

The market dictates the going rate for proven players at this level. If you want to be competitive with other teams around you, you have to either pay it or hope that you’ve got players who can overdeliver relative to the salary they command. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1