Transfer rumours, targets & new signings

Doha

8 hours ago, Emile said:

Totally. Not sure why everyone was so desperate for him to stay really. He was good, but was he the best we had? Was he worth breaking the bank for? I'd say no.

I'd agree - I would have liked to have us sign him...but it was for the potential more than the finished article.. He didn't have as much influence when he started the game, as when he came on as sub. I think he could have developed into a very good player...but you don't break a decent wage structure on "could"!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CAVALIER said:

Who'd know we'd broken it though? It's basically <ovf censored> speak for not really wanting him.

I think it's more like the reality of sticking to a sustainable wage structure instead of going bonkers like so many other clubs - who, eventually get caught out!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, valiant_593 said:

Unwanted by a league 1 side but blatantly good enough. Literally of their fan base wanted him to stay and not even join us on loan. DC said his loan spell was outstanding. He’s the exact kind of player you need at this level, especially for games like last night. But if the wage demands are too high we’ve done the right thing. Shame, but obviously financially no player is worth more than the club can afford 

I'm sorry, but I think DC's comment must be ironic. Otherwise I don't get why he never seemed to look his way! He was left on the bench for the full 90 minutes more often than coming on. If he was so "outstanding", why couldn't he seem to buy his way into the starting 11? 

3 minutes ago, Danish Valiant said:

I'm sorry, but I think DC's comment must be ironic. Otherwise I don't get why he never seemed to look his way! He was left on the bench for the full 90 minutes more often than coming on. If he was so "outstanding", why couldn't he seem to buy his way into the starting 11? 

Fitness issues…. He individually won us quite a few points and got us to the 3rd round of the cup. I don’t their ironic if he was actually interested in bringing him in permanently 

13 hours ago, LancyTony said:

I'd agree - I would have liked to have us sign him...but it was for the potential more than the finished article.. He didn't have as much influence when he started the game, as when he came on as sub. I think he could have developed into a very good player...but you don't break a decent wage structure on "could"!

If he's ended up at a promotion rival or wanted to spend that same money elsewhere I would have been confused. But DC took a difficult but correct decision in my view (and Carol I assume.) He'll be long term injured again soon anyway - if they've paid big bucks on his wages they won't be playing him half an hour every other game. If he was playing 90s week in week out he would have been injured, and for that sort of money we want a player made of granite who will play every game and be quality at the same time.

• Like 1

I think the current situation shows the flaws in our recruitment  and retention strategy. Last year all the out of contract players were told in May that they were out. That means that all of this years contract players are probably expecting the same so they have 4 months to find another job basically, either with us or someone else. That has to affect their performance. Also the business of not paying bonuses when we are below 7th. We are below 7th now because we had games called off due to Covid. It is just after Christmas and suddenly their pay has dropped. That is hardly a motivator. 

22 minutes ago, Rampant Zebra said:

I think the current situation shows the flaws in our recruitment  and retention strategy. Last year all the out of contract players were told in May that they were out. That means that all of this years contract players are probably expecting the same so they have 4 months to find another job basically, either with us or someone else. That has to affect their performance. Also the business of not paying bonuses when we are below 7th. We are below 7th now because we had games called off due to Covid. It is just after Christmas and suddenly their pay has dropped. That is hardly a motivator. 

Of course their performance will be higher if they want to earn a contract with the Vale or elsewhere at the end of the season. 

27 minutes ago, Rampant Zebra said:

That makes literally Zero sense what so ever. 

Please explain why a business would pay a bonus for poor performance? Surely what you have said is completely contradictory? Surely if there is something in their contracts that they get a bonus for top 7, they would want to be top 7 and work harder to get that? Not drop off because we gone below 7th. That makes literally no sense. 

Surely it’s their incentive to get back into the top 7 now? Not think <ovf censored> it I’m happy without the bonus - anyway they signed a contract so they’re clearly happy regardless 

The reason players in contract were released last season is because they simply weren’t good enough. I highly doubt all of the players under contract are worried about DC releasing them. I’m sure someone like Gibbo is quaking in his boots…..

No flaws in the recruitment strategy. We have signed on the whole very good players who are much better than last season. We actually properly scout players now and not just take the word of some local agent. 

Stop clutching at straws to try and criticise everything. Even your arguments are backwards and make no sense. 

• Like 2

You would like to think that not having a job would motivate them to play better but in practice there is always an element of doubt that it will make any difference. I went through a steady process of redundancies at a company I worked for years ago. There would be an announcement of redundancies and a small percentage of the staff would start working really hard in the hope that it would save them. Most of the others were on the phone to the agency trying to get another job. 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Rampant Zebra said:

You would like to think that not having a job would motivate them to play better but in practice there is always an element of doubt that it will make any difference. I went through a steady process of redundancies at a company I worked for years ago. There would be an announcement of redundancies and a small percentage of the staff would start working really hard in the hope that it would save them. Most of the others were on the phone to the agency trying to get another job. 

We’re going through the exact same where I work now. What it’s got to do with vale though I have no idea. 

21 hours ago, CAVALIER said:

Who'd know we'd broken it though? It's basically <ovf censored> speak for not really wanting him.

Well he'd turned down a contract offer from a club in a higher division so I suspect we would have to pay more than we could afford to get him to agree.

13 minutes ago, Bald Eagle said:

I’ve always wondered if there should b a ‘K’ in front of n.0b - there certainly a Z and an R though!

It find it strange that just because I have a different opinion about the manager that some people seem to think abuse is OK. If I am wrong, we will get promoted so why does it bother anyone that I have a different opinion? What I say will make absolutely no difference to the outcome of the season. I thought this was a message board to discuss all things Port Vale. To discuss something it is usual to have differing opinions. 

22 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

We’re going through the exact same where I work now. What it’s got to do with vale though I have no idea. 

I am sorry to hear that, genuinely. I have been made redundant twice and it is not a good experience. Hope it works out for you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

That makes literally Zero sense what so ever. 

Please explain why a business would pay a bonus for poor performance? Surely what you have said is completely contradictory? Surely if there is something in their contracts that they get a bonus for top 7, they would want to be top 7 and work harder to get that? Not drop off because we gone below 7th. That makes literally no sense. 

Surely it’s their incentive to get back into the top 7 now? Not think <ovf censored> it I’m happy without the bonus - anyway they signed a contract so they’re clearly happy regardless 

The reason players in contract were released last season is because they simply weren’t good enough. I highly doubt all of the players under contract are worried about DC releasing them. I’m sure someone like Gibbo is quaking in his boots…..

No flaws in the recruitment strategy. We have signed on the whole very good players who are much better than last season. We actually properly scout players now and not just take the word of some local agent. 

Stop clutching at straws to try and criticise everything. Even your arguments are backwards and make no sense. 

Interesting thought. If you analyzed league 2 and picked the best player statistically for each position, would they walk the league?