Transfer rumours, targets & new signings

Doha

23 minutes ago, Paul6754 said:

Flitters said........ well there ya go.

What data are being used in recruitment, how do you know data wasn't used before.....Robinson and Whitehead excepted although the former did score 11 times for Colchester the season before. There's an article describing Flitcroft  saying work ethic  &  fitness levels of current players and future signings were being used to assess players. Wonder how work ethic is numerated.

Must admit I would like to know how some of the data is collected that's given on some webpages (Not suggesting Flitcroft is using data off the internet). I believe GPS monitors/chips are used on players these days but how is data like tackles made, interception made, % passes completed etc etc compiled, I honestly don't know.

Player analysis, scouting methods, ets   Plenty on the internet on methods

Advert:

4 hours ago, The Kalamazoo Kid said:

Think you mean Private Frazer?!..........unless I've missed talk of 'fuzzy-wuzzies' that don't like it up 'em?!

(maybe that's what Covolan was saying to McKirdy? 🤣 )

I think he means the "Don't Panic...don't panic!!!" Corporal Jones-type running around whilst clearly panicking?

4 hours ago, mr.hobblesworth said:

Because he wasn't our player. His agent and Bolton would obviously be looking to make as much money as possible, so to sit back and just presume he was staying would have been incredibly foolhardy.

All the noise coming from Bolton was that they wouldn't be recalling Politic - so why wouldn't we think he would be staying with us on a season-long loan? Clearly the offer has come in at short notice and Dennis has had enough of the cold and grey weather over here? He may also have other, personal and family reasons for moving there, of which we have no knowledge?

• Like 2

For christ sake! How many times does it need saying? He wasn't our player, he wasn't going to sign for Bolton, it was pretty <ovf censored> obvious his agent and BWFC would be hawking him around other clubs. He'd put himself in the window with us and it was common knowledge that he was running his contract down, so there was pretty much guaranteed interest from elsewhere. Vale may well have accepted this and made contingency plans, they may have never really planned on having DP post-January, but if they had believed that he was 'ours' until the end of the season and hadn't planned around that not being the case then it's pretty stupid.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, philmpv said:

What's his age got to do with it? If he's as good as or better than Gibbons, then we've covered that position for at least 18 months. At least until the summer. And in the summer, we'll be in the market again. I don't understand your point?

As for Brad Walker, I'm not a massive fan myself, but he would be playing and actually getting a chance to show how good he can be if he hadn't been unlucky enough that Pett made the position his own in his absence.

Were you really expecting 100% successful recruitment? Like how you've pointedly ignored the far greater number of players brought in who have been successes and just named 2 who haven't set VP alight

You could argue that Ryan Johnson was a success? We didn't play him much...he didn't seem good enough to break into the team, permanently...but we made a profit on him? 

• Like 1

Advert:

4 minutes ago, LancyTony said:

You could argue that Ryan Johnson was a success? We didn't play him much...he didn't seem good enough to break into the team, permanently...but we made a profit on him? 

We didn't make a profit on him, he cost us money to bring to the club and pay for 6 months. We probably broke even at best.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Playa Amodores said:

Folks, can anyone explain to me why some transfer fee are disclosed and others are undisclosed. ?

That's a very good question! I've always been a bit wary as to why they would be? Are they trying to hide something?

3 hours ago, boslemportvale91 said:

Seen a few 200k/250k on the vale fan pages on FB. Probably absolute nonsense as always and people pretending to be in the know for some bizarre reason. 

It's been on OVF too - I think it started off at £100k, then escalated? A few pages back!

Advert:

14 minutes ago, Rampant Zebra said:

We didn't make a profit on him, he cost us money to bring to the club and pay for 6 months. We probably broke even at best.

We did make a profit if you look at it from a different perspective. We needed a back up centre half for that time - if not Johnson then it would’ve been someone else. So we would’ve been paying someone wages regardless. Instead we’ve flogged him and got the money back for him. Essentially had a player for free for a few months. Good business.

Edited by Powerline
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Powerline said:

We did make a profit if you look at it from a different perspective. We needed a back up centre half for that time - if not Johnson then it would’ve been someone else. So we would’ve been paying someone wages regardless. Instead we’ve flogged him and got the money back for him. Essentially had a player for free for a few months. Good business.

We could have kept Shaun Brisley if we only needed a back up centre half. He was reliable and probably paid less.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Rampant Zebra said:

We could have kept Shaun Brisley if we only needed a back up centre half. He was reliable and probably paid less.

Pointless. Wouldn’t have played any more than Johnson. By selling Johnson we essentially had a free squad player for a few months. And I seriously doubt Brisley would be on less than Johnson. Brisley an established football league player versus a young lad first time in the league. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Rampant Zebra said:

You know RZ I actually agree with you here - Brisley was the only one I would have kept

5 minutes ago, Powerline said:

Pointless. Wouldn’t have played any more than Johnson. By selling Johnson we essentially had a free squad player for a few months. And I seriously doubt Brisley would be on less than Johnson. Brisley an established football league player versus a young lad first time in the league. 

In fairness to him, he was a big part of our unbeaten run last season

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Advert:

Just now, Hoppers said:

In fairness to him, he was a big part of our unbeaten run last season

And I don’t disagree. But he wouldn’t have started a game this season. So it’s irrelevant whether it was him or Johnson warming the bench. And we sold Johnson for a fee and there’s no way in a million years that would’ve happened with Brisley. So it’s worked out well for us.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Powerline said:

And I don’t disagree. But he wouldn’t have started a game this season. So it’s irrelevant whether it was him or Johnson warming the bench. And we sold Johnson for a fee and there’s no way in a million years that would’ve happened with Brisley. So it’s worked out well for us.

I am glad you are not my accountant.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Powerline said:

Yes - but it's more negative to say we didn't!