Transfer rumours, targets & new signings

Doha

35 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Cullen has played 8.5 90s out of a possible 23. He's played 37% of his teams' minutes. Not a regular. 4 goals in 13 is not exactly prolific either.

Fair enough, thought he'd started more than that. 

35 minutes ago, MBE said:

Honestly if we don't finish top 3 DC has failed. He's been given all the possible resources he could ever want and need at this level, more than any other manager in our recent history. Yes you can have injuries/suspensions/covid but thats why you have a squad, we have built a really strong one and there is probably more to come in the next 2 weeks.

Failed might be hard word to use if we do go to the play offs but the aim at the start of the season would have been automatic promotion by the management team.

Get a grip.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, cactuselves said:

Clarke has worked wonders so far, taking us from relegation battlers to pushing for automatic promotion in 12 months, conducting a full squad overhaul, changing the playing philosophy and dressing room mantra to turn is into an all round more professional outfit. Yes he has had the backing of the board but given what he started with it has been a phenomenal transformation and this doesnt give him anywhere near the credit he should get. Progress was the aim at the start of the season, given how difficult it is to turn a club around in a short space of time we have certainly made that already. Lets not get ahead of ourselves, I really hope that we finish top 3 - I think if we don't get promoted next season we can then start to talk about DC's performance in more negative terms.

Since the 16 March we have won 57% of our matches and had a positive result in 75%. 

Never in doubt in my mind the job he has done. Its no debate.

My point is you don't overhaul and invest in a squad like we have done for progress. Progress was just a word used by DC to a keep a lid on expectation. Make no mistake behind the scenes the target was automatic rather than hope.

Edited by MBE

2 hours ago, Joe B said:

Best position this club has been in in my lifetime. If it doesn't happen this season it isn't far away.

I just think there's 8ish good teams and we'll need the ball to bounce the right way.

Joe, I’ll keep my optimistic view as the PO’s are a lottery.

• Like 1

Teams generally need around 20 wins to get in the play offs and something like 24 to get automatic. We’ve got 10 and we’re not halfway through our season. As long as we keep picking up points steadily I’m not too concerned. 

I'm not having Bradford making a late charge. The epitome of average. 

FGR are basically up. They only need to have the form of say 12th position for the second half of the season to go up.

I'd say Tranmere look strong and been there got the t-shirt recently.  

If I had to predict which is as big a lottery as the play offs itself I'd go 

FGR Tranmere Northampton as my 3 automatics. 

Said to be two more signings (if Politic stays) and maybe Dean Campbell midfield with perhaps Burgess going and probably another centreback.....expect it to continue with a three at the back and 3/5/2 with plan B being 3/4/3.

Cass/Smith/Jones have been the first choice back three but with Jones suspended then Hall comes straight in at LCB leaving Martin as the only cover.

Worrall/Gibbons/Hussey/Benning is a cracking set of wing backs and with two good keepers another centre back completes the defensive squad.

Garritty/Pett/Conlon have been first choice midfield and if say Burgess is moved on and Campbell signed then Campbell/Walker/Taylor is a cracking midfield....Walker was the first signing and was expected to be the holding defensive midfield general and Taylor is probably the best midfielder at the club.

Hope Wilson and Proctor aren't rushed back and Edmondson and Harratt can get some games in the next couple of weeks.

Fingers crossed that Politic stays and can get signed up permanent particularly for that switch to 3/4/3.

Rodney who was unplayable last seaon has never got started while young Hurst (Worrall junior) has been out injured for most of the season but with Amoo and Wilson near to itness then with the two loan signings and Politic that is five forwards for two or three spots even with Proctor/Rodney/Hurst injured.

Going to be a big week with three league games after a month off and possibly two more signings.

Edited by Burslem Academicals
typo
  • Like 3

Think we look stronger now for the run in ,than we did for the first half of the season . The defence has been improved and the additions of the two young loanees gives us a more forward option without playing players out of position to cover Wilson and Procs . On paper it’s looking good , just hope they can produce the goods ,should be an exciting run in to what I hope will be a successful end to the season .UTV

I can still see Mansfield being right up there come the end of the season. I’d hope we’re top 3 and at worst play offs. Agree to a degree with MBE. There’s clearly a significant investment being made by the owners to push for promotion. I wouldn’t say Clarke has failed if we don’t get it, but I would argue it may be more difficult next season should we not. (Imagine players such as Conlon will leave). 

Play offs is a must, anything lower than that and I would say Clarke has failed. I think we will be 3rd / 4th personally, Northampton look strong. 

2 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

Worst kept secret has been confirmed by the club with Lloyd returning to cheltenham 

Yes really peculiar announcement I guess just makes it official.  I assumed it was job done in December when he went back for treatment. 

He was okay. Not a world beater but a busy nuisance is how I'd describe him.

Good luck George 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

Yes really peculiar announcement I guess just makes it official.  I assumed it was job done in December when he went back for treatment. 

He was okay. Not a world beater but a busy nuisance is how I'd describe him.

Good luck George 

I saw more in 30 minutes from young Harratt than I saw in Lloyd's entire spell. Another big upgrade.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, darren1810 said:

I'm not having Bradford making a late charge. The epitome of average. 

FGR are basically up. They only need to have the form of say 12th position for the second half of the season to go up.

I'd say Tranmere look strong and been there got the t-shirt recently.  

If I had to predict which is as big a lottery as the play offs itself I'd go 

FGR Tranmere Northampton as my 3 automatics. 

Darren I like the reverse psychology angle that you’re taking. I hope DC prints this off and pins it up in the dressing room 👍

1 hour ago, Iron Curtain said:

Couldn't disagree with this more.... This opinion is everything that's wrong with football.

Come into the club, clear out the deadwood, completely revolutionise the football department., set it up for long term sustainable success for the first time in years..... and call it a failure if you don't get promotion at the very first time of asking.

If it was that easy, everyone would do it because the payoff would make it worth the money.

A very very bad take on the situation.

I agree 100% with this.

We need to remember where we've come from with relegation battles in 4 out of the last 5 seasons.

I'm a big advocate of shaking the "little old Port Vale" attitude we've had for a while, but we seem to be doing that with our forward planning and professionalism now.

I just wanted us to be completely clear of relegation this season, and to start dreaming of the top 7. So this is good progress to me and the direction we're heading.

Let's just first focus on getting better each season, rather than going backwards as we've done for 20 years.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1