Transfer rumours, targets & new signings

Doha

8 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

Exactly this… shows how far our mentality has shifted since DC has come in.

From praying we don’t get relegated out of the football league to potential immediate promotion. 

Losing in the playoffs would be a HUGE disappointment… but it would have to go down as a great start to the long term process the club is building.

That's part of my point - I've seen a few people, at least semi-seriously, talk as if this business means we're going up. We all like a HMS Walk the League meme, but there's so much luck in football that some may end up disappointed/angry that we finish 5th and not 3rd.

2 hours ago, The man in the pub said:

Grimsby mate reckons they will be signing Danny Amos today. Asked me what he was like but said hard to comment as we saw little of him.

From what we did see he seemed perfectly solid. Never going to pick up a man of the match award but he also never looked like letting you down either.

• Like 1

It's crazy when you look at this list how much dead wood we were carrying when Clarke came in. I don't mean to be disrespectful by saying that, but only Cullen and McKirdy are making an impact at a team at the same level as us  (Legge aside as he's only just moved on). 

What a transformation the squad has seen since 15th Feb when Clarkey took charge. I would hang my hat on 95% of the current squad getting another L2 team if they were to leave. 

image.thumb.png.2084d9b445f58e737b0bfc2968e960e3.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tisdeano said:

I’m trying to remember the last season we paid fees for three players ?

May well have been another time since but going back to our Championship days I remember Horton pre-transfer deadline shelling out on Dave Brammer, Alex Smith and Carl Griffiths. There might have been someone else too but can't remember. That would have been with the Gareth Ainsworth cash though.

It's crazy when you look at this list how much dead wood we were carrying when Clarke came in. I don't mean to be disrespectful by saying that, but only Cullen and McKirdy are making an impact at a team at the same level as us  (Legge aside as he's only just moved on). 
What a transformation the squad has seen since 15th Feb when Clarkey took charge. I would hang my hat on 95% of the current squad getting another L2 team if they were to leave. 

To be fair, Robinson is too

1 minute ago, philmpv said:
8 minutes ago, Walka003 said:

Not sure you could describe him as a regular starter though. He got a run when they had a port vale style striker crisis earlier in the season, but other than that he's a bench warmer. 

Cullen and Mckirdy are consistently starting.

7 minutes ago, philmpv said:
14 minutes ago, Walka003 said:

Really! Bradford fans seem to have the same opinion as we did. He has only played because of the injuries to other forwards and done very little.

1 in 12 for big theo in the league for Bradford ….

The only two are Cullen and Mckirdy. One who clearly had talent but was / is a full on <ovf censored> and the other (Cullen) a decent player at this level but struggled to stay fit 

12 minutes ago, Guppys left peg said:

May well have been another time since but going back to our Championship days I remember Horton pre-transfer deadline shelling out on Dave Brammer, Alex Smith and Carl Griffiths. There might have been someone else too but can't remember. That would have been with the Gareth Ainsworth cash though.

Tony Butler?

26 minutes ago, Walka003 said:

Askey made a pigs ear of recruitment. 

Cullen has played 8.5 90s out of a possible 23. He's played 37% of his teams' minutes. Not a regular. 4 goals in 13 is not exactly prolific either.

Edited by Joe B

1 hour ago, tisdeano said:

I’m trying to remember the last season we paid fees for three players ?

Would probably be the transfer deadline day in 1999 when Horton signed Brammer, Butler, Smith and Griffiths.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Joe B said:

That's part of my point - I've seen a few people, at least semi-seriously, talk as if this business means we're going up. We all like a HMS Walk the League meme, but there's so much luck in football that some may end up disappointed/angry that we finish 5th and not 3rd.

Honestly if we don't finish top 3 DC has failed. He's been given all the possible resources he could ever want and need at this level, more than any other manager in our recent history. Yes you can have injuries/suspensions/covid but thats why you have a squad, we have built a really strong one and there is probably more to come in the next 2 weeks.

Failed might be hard word to use if we do go to the play offs but the aim at the start of the season would have been automatic promotion by the management team.