Transfer rumours, targets & new signings

Doha

33 minutes ago, Guitar Ray said:

100%.  Fans still need to play their part.  Expectations will be higher than ever now.  Good or bad out on the park it’s just as much about our passion in the stands.  How much do WE want it.  All these signings mean nothing if we don’t back the team when things get tough.  We can sign who we want but we aren’t going to just turn up and steamroller teams.  Bumps in the road and all that.  If we can replicate that atmosphere from the Brentford game it’d be a massive help to the boys.

Totally agree!

Get behind the new lads and give them the confidence that we are with them!

Whats unfortunately more likely to happen is Hall’s first header will go out of touch and he will be scapegoated and written off immediately by a bunch of armchair vale fans desperate for someone to bray at for the next 6 months!

Prove me wrong please!

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, newchapel valiant said:

I think it's shocking that our owners are allowing all these transfers to happen. Poor old Rampant has only just started to recognise the players who signed in the summer and now they are lumbering him with more. 

You do realise his head will fall off now

Just no thought for fans what so ever. 

Glad you think it is funny to mock memory issues. 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Portvale4 said:

I’m not sure about your view on the GK department. What makes you think it’s the weakest? We’ve conceded 23 goals, the 3rd least in the top 7 and 4th least in the league. Covolan and Stone are two very competent GK’s at this level. For me, Covolan just about edges it and I’d expect to see him start against Swindon. 

Such a weird opinion...

Yes I understand stats aren't too bad on goals conceded but I'm looking at it from a squad point of view. I just feel its weakest area of the pitch now we have strengthened in other areas and lacks experience at this level with either keeper.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, PV1973 said:

Anyone else think (or worried) that some of these new players coming in could see some of our better players want to leave or be forced out of the door due to a lack of or reduced game time?

The short answer is no.

Is that not how you progress?

We are getting rid of poorer squad players, replacing them with players with genuine first team potential

The existing players then either become the squad players, or step up yet another level to keep the shirt.  Either way we win.

Trim off at the bottom of the squad and add quality at the top.  Onwards and upwards.  Repeat cycle at each window and progress up the leagues.

Edited by Bald Eagle
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Brian said:

Our owners have really stepped up. I think the fans need to as well. Let’s get right behind the team now!

Yep, don’t miss Swindon. Big 6 pointer and a pantomime villain up front for them for entertainment. First league game for 5 weeks and the weather forecast is ok. Get down Vale Park on Saturday (and spend some money for Carol) 

47 minutes ago, TJHValiant said:

Would you commute from Cambridgeshire or stay in the flea pit that is The George hotel? I’d commute….

Both Hilton and Marriott have opened hotels in Hanley and Keele lately. Before anyone starts laughing at the idea of a 5* spa hotel in Hanley of all places, it’s their garden inn sub-brand so it has the Hilton name but is a lower end product. Both still more than decent enough for a player commuting, the Marriott courtyard one in Keele in particular looks really nice actually. 

Anyway the point is I’d expect both Vale and Stoke would be aware of them and have/could arrange corporate rates for how much consistent business we could send their way. 

1 minute ago, Doha said:

Both Hilton and Marriott have opened hotels in Hanley and Keele lately. Before anyone starts laughing at the idea of a 5* spa hotel in Hanley of all places, it’s their garden inn sub-brand so it has the Hilton name but is a lower end product. Both still more than decent enough for a player commuting, the Marriott courtyard one in Keele in particular looks really nice actually. 

Anyway the point is I’d expect both Vale and Stoke would be aware of them and have/could arrange corporate rates for how much consistent business we could send their way. 

It remains to be seen what arrangements have been made to to reduce travelling.  We are not yet in the Helicopter League as far as I know.

1 hour ago, TJHValiant said:

Would you commute from Cambridgeshire or stay in the flea pit that is The George hotel? I’d commute….

I think the flea pit is closed. The building looks really nice and needs investment in line with Burslem town centre. Pointless requesting the council to get involved, they’re too obsessed with Hanley. I’m not in the know but I cannot see why they’ve got so many hotels and continually invest in Hanley. 

Edited by Playa Amodores

25 minutes ago, Mark-Valiant said:

Katchunga (Bolton) out for 3 months. Possible recall for Politic?

I reckon Evatt has burnt his bridges with Politic in all honesty. More chance of him getting released and coming to us than getting recalled.

26 minutes ago, Mark-Valiant said:

Katchunga (Bolton) out for 3 months. Possible recall for Politic?

Be unfortunate if that were to happen but I guess it’s possible. If it were to you’d imagine it would happen today. Just the general feel I get is things are a bit frosty between him and Evatt though.

In terms of outgoings one player never hear anything of is Alex Hurst. I’m guessing he’s still injured but if not maybe we should be looking to get him out on loan somewhere as can’t see an immediate pathway into our matchday squad.

35 minutes ago, MBE said:

Yes I understand stats aren't too bad on goals conceded but I'm looking at it from a squad point of view. I just feel its weakest area of the pitch now we have strengthened in other areas and lacks experience at this level with either keeper.

You can’t argue with stats though? We don’t need a GK when we have conceded the 4th least goals in the division. I’d rather the money be spent on an experienced ST and CM.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Playa Amodores said:

I think the flea pit is closed. The building looks really nice and needs investment in line with Burslem town centre. Pointless requesting the council to get involved, they’re too obsessed with Hanley. I’m not in the know but I cannot see why they’ve got so many hotels and continually invest in Hanley. 

I suspect it’s because Hanley is or is meant to be the money generating retail hive. 

They’ve just proposed to cut a load of jobs and close museums so the chances of Burslem ever getting any regeneration money, particularly with the loss of the EU regen money, is zero. Its only hope now is TV filming money like with Peaky Blinders, the national lottery good causes fund or a good word from Prince Charles who seems to like Middleport pottery. Or Robbie. That’s it.