• OVF player sponsorship 2022

£10 to enter. More details and a link to donate can be found here

Transfer rumours, targets & new signings

Doha

Advert:

Hussey will train with Port Vale on Thursday morning ahead of their home match against another of his former clubs Swindon Town on Saturday.

In the meantime he is taking the opportunity to spend some time with his fiancé Cavella and young children Cora and Corrado.

“Vale have given me today off and I am going to a spa with my missus,” he said.

“A lot will change for her because Cheltenham is only 25 minutes from home so it had to be the right deal for me to leave.

“I have two little ones and I have to do my best to support them.

“Vale offered me a deal that I couldn’t turn down, especially at the age of 33 and they are a big, forward-thinking club with a good infrastructure that are having a bit of a go and they’ve gone above and beyond to get me.

“Cheltenham said they wanted to keep me, but they didn’t do anything to try and keep me.

12 minutes ago, valefan16 said:

I don't want to lose Gibbons and hope we don't BUT I am delighted we have Hussey in and that essentially is a great insurance policy to have if he does go in this window or the summer.

We’ve paid a fee and I’m guessing he’s on good money, so I don’t think he’s been brought in as an insurance policy. He’s dropped a league from a club where he’s playing consistently and his manager wanted him to stay. He’s starting IMO, if not this weekend then the game after. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

We’ve paid a fee and I’m guessing he’s on good money, so I don’t think he’s been brought in as an insurance policy. He’s dropped a league from a club where he’s playing consistently and his manager wanted him to stay. He’s starting IMO, if not this weekend then the game after. 

Have to agree. This is very very different situation from Purse in 12/13 . Hussey is now under contract on a proper deal and is here for the immediate future.  

He's going to play a big part thats for sure. Given our vigorous pursuit of a player already under contract for 18 months he's not come to be a bench warmer I'd imagine. 

• Like 1

Advert:

10 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

Have to agree. This is very very different situation from Purse in 12/13 . Hussey is now under contract on a proper deal and is here for the immediate future.  

He's going to play a big part thats for sure. Given our vigorous pursuit of a player already under contract for 18 months he's not come to be a bench warmer I'd imagine. 

I maybe didnt word it the best, what I expect is he will play but meant if we lose Gibbons we have Hussey/Worrall 

If the Hall rumour is true, it would be exactly the signing I've been waiting for - CB is our weakest area in my eyes - and another statement of intent by buying an ever-present player from a league rival.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Playa Amodores said:

Phil, totally understand where you’re coming from on this seasons performances, but let’s not forget whose goals kept us in the league last season. Would we really let him go to Walsall.?

And watch his contribution in the FACUP against Burton. Both goals he was brilliant, especially the 2nd.

He has all the tools to be a really good player, just needs to get his mentality right, play with more consistency and keep learning. I would defo keep him until the end of the season and re-evaluate.

Advert:

17 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

Whitehead joined Joyce at Fylde 

Fair play to him, he'll be comfortably good enough for that level.

It's a shame in a way for players like him, Evans, Kennedy. They were hopeless but it was Askey's fault for throwing them in the deep end and convincing us and them they were L2 players. 

Edited by Walka003
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Walka003 said:

Fair play to him, he'll be comfortably good enough for that level.

It's a shame in a way for players like him, Evans, Kennedy. They were hopeless but it was Askey's fault for throwing them in the deep end and convincing us and them they were L2 players. 

To be fair to Askey I don’t think he believed it either which is why he barely played anything or than his 1st choice 11 regardless of form or results. He knew half the squad were only making up numbers.

Good luck to Whitehead.

1 minute ago, MBE said:

To be fair to Askey I don’t think he believed it either which is why he barely played anything or than his 1st choice 11 regardless of form or results. He knew half the squad were only making up numbers.

Good luck to Whitehead.

Then why sign them? I guess that's the difference between then and now. Askey signed squad filler and prayed the old guard brought in by Aspin could still do the business. DC/DF are constantly looking to improve the starting 11.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PV1973 said:

After the season Gibbos had I can’t believe how quick people are to ditch him. 

It's not ditching him. I didn't include him because I have a feeling he might be on his way. Hopefully he's not, and him staying makes us that little bit stronger still.

Edited by Beech

Advert:

Good read on Ryan Edmondson, how far we have come, and are heading can not help but feel a little exited.
Ryan-Edmondson.jpg WWW.FOOTBALLINSIDER247.COM  
Interesting quote from Whelan:

"He’s been given this opportunity of minutes. It’ll guarantee minutes for Ryan Edmondson, but he has to take this with open arms."

So presumably we have to play him or he goes back. Can't imagine we allowed Leeds to sneak that in if Proctor was back any time soon.

6 minutes ago, Topher said:

Interesting quote from Whelan:

"He’s been given this opportunity of minutes. It’ll guarantee minutes for Ryan Edmondson, but he has to take this with open arms."

So presumably we have to play him or he goes back. Can't imagine we allowed Leeds to sneak that in if Proctor was back any time soon.

Isn't that the exact opposite to what DC said about loan signings in the summer? That he didn't want them, if he had to guarantee them minutes? That they were equal to anyone else in the squad, and had to earn their place?