onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Transfer rumours, targets & new signings

Doha

Politic needs to be played out wide.

He's only started 3 games for us, and only one of them on the left wing - shockingly, he was excellent in a 3-0 win against Colchester.

The other two starts, he's been played centrally (Crawley and Walsall where he was moved to striker after 15 minutes), which is absolutely pointless for a player who is about 5"6 and strengths lie in isolating full backs and beating them before hammering crosses in. 

Politic has been a victim of our wing-back system + our injuries to strikers, meaning when he plays, he often plays through the middle. 

The one time we've employed him from the start as proper left winger, he was excellent. I don't think his performances have anything to do with injuries, lack of focus, or a potential move, just that we're asking a tricky, small winger to play through the middle, sometimes alongside another winger.

I have no doubts that he is a very good League 2 footballer if played out wide. The question is whether we are willing to accommodate him in this respect by changing a successful system, or whether he'll move to a club who can guarantee starts on the wing.

Advert

On 26/11/2021 at 16:13, Guitar Ray said:

We’ve got irons in the fire for January.

Clarke: ”We are already on it. I have an unbelievable director of football, Flickers (David Flitcroft). We are ahead of recruitment. I know now what business I want to be doing. That is what this club should look like in my opinion, having one or two things that in every window needs to be freshened up. Certainly with one or two injuries in the front line, you look at, that needs to be freshened up. We are working hard. We have Tommy (Johnson) head of recruitment. He is a top man at his work. This is fair play to the owners yet again, backing this to keep building that profile so you are not making those last minute phone calls to try to get deals done. We are working hard to make sure the tweaks that need to be made in the window, in the next six weeks, we are ready for it.”

Sounds promising.

We should have enough quality defensively, Legge will come back in. Dealing with crosses is a coaching issue whoever plays. midfield is strong. Up top we need and experienced striker to push us over the line. trust the process. I don't normally but will this time. Investment in time, recruitment and scouting is apparent and looks pretty spot on.

1 hour ago, Joe B said:

Politic needs to be played out wide.

He's only started 3 games for us, and only one of them on the left wing - shockingly, he was excellent in a 3-0 win against Colchester.

Colchester was probably the one game I was 100% confident they could not score and we could have got 5 easy. Politic absolutely terrorised them. Why not just put Worrall on one side and Politic on the other side. It makes no sense to me. We played <ovf censored> a few times playing 433 so that was used as an excuse to never play it again, whereas we have played some of our worst games of the season with the wing backs and it's still used.

if Politic does end up going back we should at least use it as a lesson, and not get the same type of player, because he's got the quality but it's not fair to play him out of position and expect the best quality. Not unlike, say... Worrall.

On 04/08/2021 at 19:40, Joe B said:

Also, we've now sold 4,600 STs, which Garlick says only Bradford are guaranteed to beat:

Walsall - 2,600 as of today (they wonder why Clarke absconded)

So they bought almost the equivalent of every season ticket holder to give DC <ovf censored>, mad.

Though the Express and Star also said Walsall enjoyed "a night to remember", so it must have been a big event.

Its going to be a challenge with the two big men up top, but on a positive we won without 4 key men...

Take Matt, Stephens, Cadden and Adams out the FGR XI they'd struggle so we've done well at the weekend.

In terms of strikers hopefully Lloyd is back by next week because he is at least a proper striker rather than making do with two wide men up front essentially, a run of games with him might see us through ok, reminds me of a few seasons back when we had to make do with AJLS and Dodds up front as our main strikers were out and we coped ok if I recall.

If we can get a couple of wins and a draw to keep well in touch from the next 5 and get to January/Wilson and Proctor back we should have a chance to go for the top 3 still.

3 minutes ago, valefan16 said:

In terms of strikers hopefully Lloyd is back by next week because he is at least a proper striker rather than making do with two wide men up front essentially

Unfortunately someone said January until Lloyd is back. 

Garrity had one of his better games as the most central 'forward' on Saturday. With Amoo and Rodney tending to drift wide/have little impact (delete as applicable), he was often our furthest player forward, or at the very least in areas a traditional striker would be.

Due to his mobility, stamina, and aggression, you can trust he will fulfil his midfield 'spoiling' duties; do you think that the plan is for Garrity to play a 'False 9' role, basically starting from deep and then getting forward to support Amoo/Rodney who primarily play in the channels?

The more I think about it, the more I like it - I'm not a fan of Garrity in deeper positions where he's expected to contribute to build up play as I don't think his touch is good enough.

However; he can press, he can win headers, his movement in the 18 yard box is good, and at times he's shown to be a great finisher. He's not going to be prolific but is it one of them 'do a job' things until the Matrix signals for reinforcements? No idea. I can't see what else we can do bar go begging for that bad forward I mentioned on the other thread. 

Edit: Go and watch the highlights from Saturday. He's being used as a striker when we have the ball. He's the furthest player forward in almost every attack.

1 hour ago, Joe B said:

Garrity had one of his better games as the most central 'forward' on Saturday. With Amoo and Rodney tending to drift wide/have little impact (delete as applicable), he was often our furthest player forward, or at the very least in areas a traditional striker would be.

Due to his mobility, stamina, and aggression, you can trust he will fulfil his midfield 'spoiling' duties; do you think that the plan is for Garrity to play a 'False 9' role, basically starting from deep and then getting forward to support Amoo/Rodney who primarily play in the channels?

The more I think about it, the more I like it - I'm not a fan of Garrity in deeper positions where he's expected to contribute to build up play as I don't think his touch is good enough.

However; he can press, he can win headers, his movement in the 18 yard box is good, and at times he's shown to be a great finisher. He's not going to be prolific but is it one of them 'do a job' things until the Matrix signals for reinforcements? No idea. I can't see what else we can do bar go begging for that bad forward I mentioned on the other thread. 

Edit: Go and watch the highlights from Saturday. He's being used as a striker when we have the ball. He's the furthest player forward in almost every attack.

In fairness although scruffy finish on Saturday the two he got at Swindon were superb strikes and a good composed finish at Scunny.

The issue with Rodders and Amoo is they both like to be out wide so we seem to lack the central presence up front so using him to push into the middle for crosses is a good move IMO.

I personally think that any striker that we bring in will be a loan player. Firstly, because Proctor and Wilson are clearly our first choice pairing and, secondly, to avoid upsetting the fair wage policy that we have implemented. Norwood, as an example of someone who's been suggested, is on megabucks, so I don't think that he's someone we would even consider, on account of the damage that could do to the squad spirit. Unless, of course, Ipswich are willing to fund 80% odd of his wage for 6 months. Depends how desperate they are to offload I suppose but I can't see it myself

Archived