• OVF player sponsorship 2022

£10 to enter. More details and a link to donate can be found here

Transfer rumours, targets & new signings

Doha

Everyone overlooks Garrity. He’s arguably been our best player this season. Not the best technically but he offers everything else. 
Garrity, Smith, Gibbo, Wozza, Conlon, Pett, Wilson, Proctor, Politic - potentially Walker and Taylor as well, good enough for the league above 
Were in a very, very good place. Hussey would be a great signing at this level and allows us to play Wozza further up / rotate quality player for quality player. I just hope it’s not some 2/3 year deal given his age. I’d expect / hope it’s until the end of next season 
I can't see him leaving an 18 month contract (which is what he had left) for a 6 month one?

BTW, I totally agree about Garrity. Everybody seems keen to drop him whenever we have a poor result. Ridiculous

EDIT: Misread your post. Thought you said till the end of this season. Sorry

Advert:

Just now, philmpv said:
3 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:
Everyone overlooks Garrity. He’s arguably been our best player this season. Not the best technically but he offers everything else. 
Garrity, Smith, Gibbo, Wozza, Conlon, Pett, Wilson, Proctor, Politic - potentially Walker and Taylor as well, good enough for the league above 
Were in a very, very good place. Hussey would be a great signing at this level and allows us to play Wozza further up / rotate quality player for quality player. I just hope it’s not some 2/3 year deal given his age. I’d expect / hope it’s until the end of next season 

I can't see him leaving an 18 month contract (which is what he had left) for a 6 month one?

Neither can I.

3 minutes ago, philmpv said:

BTW, I totally agree about Garrity. Everybody seems keen to drop him whenever we have a poor result. Ridiculous

Sorry end of next season I meant so the same contract as with Cheltenham. Wouldn’t really be a fan of any longer than that given his age 

Their fans on their forum all saying he should be given a chance in their first team. Get behind the lad… his first game may well be against premier league defenders… it would be very “port vale” to get on his back on social media or on here if he doesn’t score.

Welcome Kian! UTV

• Like 2

Advert:

6 minutes ago, Boslem's Brazil said:

Reflects well on Vale that Huddersfield are entrusting us with his development. Also mentions we put a lot of time and effort in to make the loan happen. Excited to see this kid play. 

That’s brilliant to read!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

I think Garrity is very good in certain games and not our best option in others.

In times where we've needed a striker, or when it's a tight away game where we need to scrap, he's a massive asset. There's a reason 6 of his 7 goals are away from home. It suits him. He's great when we transition quickly - he can win the ball and then be in the box in the same move. Absolute master stroke of a signing on that front.

If we have fit forwards, and are controlling possession at home, I think he can sometimes not be our best option. I still think he's good, but his attributes are not for every week. The good news is his age and lack of professional experience means he could improve a lot with good coaching.

Edited by Joe B

The squad looks much more balanced and competitive even with these few changes.

Exciting players coming in that we had to bat other clubs away from, and with all due respect only releasing players that would never play.

Looks like promotion, and because we’ve been treading water with injuries and cancelled games the fodder won’t see the steamroller coming.

26 minutes ago, Joe B said:

I think Garrity is very good in certain games and not our best option in others.

In times where we've needed a striker, or when it's a tight away game where we need to scrap, he's a massive asset. There's a reason 6 of his 7 goals are away from home. It suits him. He's great when we transition quickly - he can win the ball and then be in the box in the same move. Absolute master stroke of a signing on that front.

If we have fit forwards, and are controlling possession at home, I think he can sometimes not be our best option. I still think he's good, but his attributes are not for every week. The good news is his age and lack of professional experience means he could improve a lot with good coaching.

Correct.  He needs to improve his passing, greater accuracy consistently.  No reason to suggest this won’t happen.

• Like 1

Advert:

1 hour ago, valiant_593 said:

The really amazing thing about Garrity has been his finishing. Apart from the one that hit both his legs and went in the other six have been worthy of Slaven / Hughes.

30 minutes ago, Guitar Ray said:

So has Hussey 100% signed or are we jumping the gun here and it’s just our bid that’s been agreed?

Well, no player is "100% signed" until it's official - but judging by pieces in the local press it's very likely. 

However, until it's over the line it's never done. Mansfield called the press in to formally announce the signing of Ron Futcher in 1988. Only he never turned up to the press conference as he'd driven to Vale Park to sign for John Rudge instead - 

So, it's never 100% until the player's signed the contract.

• Like 1

The really amazing thing about Garrity has been his finishing. Apart from the one that hit both his legs and went in the other six have been worthy of Slaven / Hughes.
I think Garrity is crucial to any small chance of success we have tomorrow. We have nobody else who will run press and generally buzz about like an annoying fly. They will pass and be patient so I think our best chance of scoring will be on the counter

Advert:

37 minutes ago, robf said:

Well, no player is "100% signed" until it's official - but judging by pieces in the local press it's very likely. 

However, until it's over the line it's never done. Mansfield called the press in to formally announce the signing of Ron Futcher in 1988. Only he never turned up to the press conference as he'd driven to Vale Park to sign for John Rudge instead - 

So, it's never 100% until the player's signed the contract.

Absolute class! Weren't there some other signings "abducted" by Rudgie? 

On 06/01/2022 at 17:58, SuperHuman said:

Johnson wasn’t good enough in the games he played if we’re being brutally honest. He didn’t look mobile enough and when he was played it felt like he was targeted. I guess that he could have improved and admittedly we never saw a great deal of him, but it’s no great loss and money in the bank. 

If we got £50K for him I guess we just about broke even. We have been paying him for 6 months don't forget. Probably cost us about £50K with wages, NI, pension etc.

• Like 1