• OVF player sponsorship 2022

£10 to enter. More details and a link to donate can be found here

Transfer rumours, targets & new signings

Doha

All the comments on Twitter aimed towards Johnson from fellow team mates and also Carol show what a great team spirit we have. It also shows that Johnson must have been a great lad around the dressing room and it seems as if the players have genuine respect and friendliness between each other. 

Always nice to see stuff like this. 

• Like 7

Advert:

3 minutes ago, SuperHuman said:

All the comments on Twitter aimed towards Johnson from fellow team mates and also Carol show what a great team spirit we have. It also shows that Johnson must have been a great lad around the dressing room and it seems as if the players have genuine respect and friendliness between each other. 

Always nice to see stuff like this. 

I remember of the the videos after we won a game he had been dropped for after playing the previous few ... he celebrated like mad and seemed genuinely passionate about the result.

Seems like a really good bloke and I wish him well.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, MBE said:

If either Conlon or Pett are out for a period of games do you think Burgess and Whitehead are good enough to replacements to maintain a promotion challenge?

The same question applies for the strikers.Proctor and Wilson out for a longer period with Amoo,Rodney and Edmonson as cover?

I would agree numbers wise we look to have the cover but quality wise?

For 1 or 2 games you can get away with it but for a promotion run I'm not so sure.

I'm with you on this.

I think we all need a bit of a mindset shift from the "little old Port Vale" we've been used to in the past.

If we have any ambitions of being promoted out of this league, we don't need players that can "do a job", we need quality.

That doesn't mean we have to throw money at players as we've proven with the summer recruitment, we just need to find value in the market, and I'm confident that FINALLY we're actually scouting players and being proactive in our recruitment.

When we sign someone now, I'm confident we've done our research and homework, and not just signed someone because they had a good game against us once or because an agent recommended them.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, valeparklife said:

think we all need a bit of a mindset shift from the "little old Port Vale" we've been used to in the past.

If we have any ambitions of being promoted out of this league, we don't need players that can "do a job", we need quality.

I know its a different league but the year Sheff Utd won promotion from L1 I remember looking at the team sheet and thought these are a good side, then I saw the subs and thought every single one of them players would walk into our team. Admittedly we did have Micheal Brown in charge and sinking but it shows the kind of squad strength you need for promotion, even more so in covid times.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Warren said:

I don't think we need anyone more if our forwards are recovering. The midfield has been bolstered quietly by Burgess and Whitehead who are solid League 2 players; albeit won't get promotion without others who are better etc. I really wish Jones hadn't got banned, but chance for someone else. 

I would prefer Taylor and Burgess, personally. Obviously assuming that Taylor is fit

Advert:

3 hours ago, valiant_593 said:

Not a fan of Cass at Cb personally, countless times he’s cost us goals of crosses, I’d like to see a CB join to play alongside Smith and Jones 

I agree but I also like Jones at LB / LWB, I’ve just accepted it’s not going to happen. If we can offload Legge, a younger version of his style would be great.

As others have said though it’ll just be plugging gaps rather than wholesale changes.

I doubt Rodney will be bought by anyone right now, but I wonder if we’ll go in for the penny in for the pound and get another striker in.

There’s no point in having Burgess and Taylor, better to let one go and get some wide players so we can switch the formation up.

3 hours ago, Iron Curtain said:

I remember of the the videos after we won a game he had been dropped for after playing the previous few ... he celebrated like mad and seemed genuinely passionate about the result.

It was Burton away.  Dropped after doing ok the previous week in a clean sheet v Hartlepool. 

Was on the pitch at the end going bonkers when we won. 

Even though short lived stay was clearly a good character and fitted the profile of the type of players we want.  Good luck to the lad .

• Like 1

Advert:

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Iron Curtain said:

Also after  Orient a couple of injured players were on the pitch at the end. Rodney was definitely one.

Clearly a great squad spirit. 

Edited by darren1810
  • Like 1

Advert:

Clearly has potential, will probably be very good, although not someone I imagine we will be able to sign in the near future, I was hoping one of the two young loan signing forwards would be proven but I trust dc and co