• OVF player sponsorship 2022

£10 to enter. More details and a link to donate can be found here

Transfer rumours, targets & new signings

Doha

Advert:

53 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

I wouldn’t be too worried yet, judging by what I’ve heard from a few people I don’t believe that we’ve even offered gibbo or the other out of contract players a new contract yet.

As for Hussey, we only have 2 wingbacks in the building who have been any good, Worrall and gibbo. We have no cover in that area that’s anywhere near those 2, so I think we will need some better cover in those areas than what Benning and Cass have provided as wing backs so far. What we don’t know is if anyone will come in for players like gibbo, Conlon or smith. But at 33 or 34 or whatever he is then Hussey isn’t a long term option or even a long term replacement for a gibbo. Plus at that age this is his last pay day and I think he’ll want decent money too. 

Why is everyone worried that Gibbo might leave, players are a commodity aren't they? If Gibbo leaves the process will identify a cost effective replacement. 

1 minute ago, Rampant Zebra said:

Why is everyone worried that Gibbo might leave, players are a commodity aren't they? If Gibbo leaves the process will identify a cost effective replacement. 

I would rather keep our top players, the more top players we have the more chance of playing in League 1 next season.

• Like 1

It's staggering how a few rumours can lead to a "crisis" on this thread.

There's an unsubstantiated rumour that Gibbo has rejected a contract despite a Sentinel interview in which he doesn't say anything of the sort. So why are people thinking a rumour (which could be made of thin air) is more likely than an on the record chat with a journalist? 

This is what Gibbo said to the Sentinel: 

Yesterday: He said there are no developments about his contract situation, adding: “Nothing yet. I am still in the same position as I said last time I was asked.

What was the position last time he was asked? According to the Sentinel in October it was that he hadn't had any contract talks with the manager. 

Conclusion: Pretty difficult to reject a contract without being offered one in the first place, I reckon.

Then it gets sillier in that a player who plays in a similar position is linked to Vale with no evidence simply because his club have brought in a younger player in his position. 

As an unsubstantiated rumour is clearly a done deal, it obviously means Gibbo is leaving, despite again there being zero evidence of any offers from other clubs and that this player is replacing him despite again there being zero evidence of the player wanting to move to Vale. 

Amazing!

If we look at the few facts we have... Gibbo said yesterday there have been no discussions about contracts. If so, there is no way he has rejected a contract because one hasn't been offered yet. There is also no reported interest from any other clubs in Gibbo. Furthermore, there is no indication from Cheltenham that their recent signing means Chris Hussey is on the way out, and even if he was there is no indication that Vale Park would be his chosen destination. 

• Like 9

Advert:

9 minutes ago, Joe B said:

I agree it's 99% rubbish Rob, but this is a 'rumours' thread and people are going to discuss rumours, as football fans have done for decades. Whispers, unsubstantiated or otherwise, have been part and parcel of football since transfers have been a thing. We haven't played for a month and there's very little 'football' to talk about, bar 'yep, looking forward to Brentford!'.

Certainly wouldn't describe discussion of it as a crisis. People seem largely unfussed. 

I know it's rumours but it's the escalation of rumours into "alternative facts" where people are seemingly convinced we would lose one of our best players (hence my use of the over-the-top word "crisis") which concerned me.

I wanted people to remember to take all these posts with a pinch of salt.

However, when we suddenly get posts debating the effect of Gibbo leaving then I think that's the point when everyone does need to be reminded that there is no evidence he actually is.

By all means let the rumours continue but I do think it's worthwhile just to remind everyone that rumours are well, rumours and not facts. 

• Like 2

Pompey looking to move on strikers Harrison and Marquis.

Marquis was a goal machine at L2 level previously. I might be wrong but I think DC worked with Harrison at Rovers.🤔

No idea if we would make a move but I would like to think we would be interested.Still think we need another ST.

Twitterverse believe Bristol and Mansfield are interested respectively.

12 minutes ago, MBE said:

Pompey looking to move on strikers Harrison and Marquis.

Marquis was a goal machine at L2 level previously. I might be wrong but I think DC worked with Harrison at Rovers.🤔

No idea if we would make a move but I would like to think we would be interested.Still think we need another ST.

Twitterverse believe Bristol and Mansfield are interested respectively.

The press are saying that a few league 1 clubs are after Harrison including Fleetwood who have just received a nice lump sum for their centre half.

He’s never been prolific but clearly adds something as he has played at a higher level.

Hopefully he remembers his time with DC fondly and that gives us a chance!

1 hour ago, ollyandpatch said:

I would rather keep our top players, the more top players we have the more chance of playing in League 1 next season.

Unfortunately you are not the manager. There is no room for sentiment in football. 

• Like 1

Advert:

6 minutes ago, 1 said:

a new wing back would be more useful than replacing Johnson with another CB, as Jones and Cass seem to be preferred in the centre.

I like the idea of someone like Hussey coming in... proven winner, experienced, promotion under his belt.... a bit like the signing of Purse in the promotion season.

Its difficult to say who is replacing who because as DC says in his interview, there is a lot of the window left to go and we have no idea who else is coming or going.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, 1 said:

a new wing back would be more useful than replacing Johnson with another CB, as Jones and Cass seem to be preferred in the centre.

Not a fan of Cass at Cb personally, countless times he’s cost us goals of crosses, I’d like to see a CB join to play alongside Smith and Jones 

Just now, valiant_593 said:

Not a fan of Cass at Cb personally, countless times he’s cost us goals of crosses, I’d like to see a CB join to play alongside Smith and Jones 

Trade off there is that Cass plays the overlapping CB so well which has lead to a number of goals by him being allowed to get up the pitch. Don't disagree that we would benefit from a man mountain who could command the area though.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

The press are saying that a few league 1 clubs are after Harrison including Fleetwood who have just received a nice lump sum for their centre half.

He’s never been prolific but clearly adds something as he has played at a higher level.

Hopefully he remembers his time with DC fondly and that gives us a chance!

I don't think DC does the players that have played for him before thing. None of our current squad have.

I don't think we need anyone more if our forwards are recovering. The midfield has been bolstered quietly by Burgess and Whitehead who are solid League 2 players; albeit won't get promotion without others who are better etc. I really wish Jones hadn't got banned, but chance for someone else. 

Advert:

5 minutes ago, Warren said:

I don't think we need anyone more if our forwards are recovering. The midfield has been bolstered quietly by Burgess and Whitehead who are solid League 2 players; albeit won't get promotion without others who are better etc. I really wish Jones hadn't got banned, but chance for someone else. 

I can still see Whitehead being moved on this month... just a hunch but don't see him adding anything to the promotion push 

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Warren said:

I don't think we need anyone more if our forwards are recovering. The midfield has been bolstered quietly by Burgess and Whitehead who are solid League 2 players

If either Conlon or Pett are out for a period of games do you think Burgess and Whitehead are good enough to replacements to maintain a promotion challenge?

The same question applies for the strikers.Proctor and Wilson out for a longer period with Amoo,Rodney and Edmonson as cover?

I would agree numbers wise we look to have the cover but quality wise?

For 1 or 2 games you can get away with it but for a promotion run I'm not so sure.

Edited by MBE
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Warren said:

Whitehead is a solid league 2 player? What have you been watching 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1