• OVF player sponsorship 2022

£10 to enter. More details and a link to donate can be found here

Transfer rumours, targets & new signings

Doha

Advert:

12 hours ago, Guppys left peg said:

I know Johnson has not exactly established himself yet but would be a bit surprised if we’d let him go at this point. Really with Dan Jones banned for three games (that Newport red card seems an age ago now) this should be his opportunity to force his case in our first team unless Amos has shown he could maybe play that LCB role.

I would imagine if he goes then moneybags Stockport will have to pay a fee for an under contract player. I can't see the club turning down getting a transfer fee for a squad player just to keep him around to cover a three match ban. 

Posted (edited)

11 hours ago, Playa Amodores said:

I think Rodney is worth keeping, he's 23 so still has plenty of time to develop within his current contract which runs until July 2023. He's not the finished article but I don't think him nor the club claim that he is. His touch and hold up play is improving - you only need to look at Burton game to see that his must have been an area the coaches are working on with him. Don't get me wrong, I've been frustrated at times with his decision making but that is the purpose of working with them on the training ground to fine tune those weaknesses. Look at Tom Conlon progression (who's now 25 and soon to be 26 in Feb) who was being written off a couple of years ago - players at our level just need a little more time to train and learn from mistakes in games. 

I appreciate that the greedy league sees young prospects playing fantastic football at 21 but they are few and far between and at our level, they will generally develop at a later stage in their career. With Rodney, he needs to earn his place like everyone but there is certainly a good player in there and one I hope is realised with us rather than somewhere else. He seems to be a confidence player and he does need to zone out the moans and groans that I hear around the ground - I've been guilty of letting out a little moan when his first touch has made the ball run away from him when we would otherwise have been in a good attacking position - but that unfortunately part of the game with fans in the ground that he needs to get used to. His first full season with us, he had no fans in the ground on his back and was top scorer (in a shocking season admittedly). 

Edited by maccapvfc
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, maccapvfc said:

I think Rodney is worth keeping, he's 23 so still has plenty of time to develop within his current contract which runs until July 2023. He's not the finished article but I don't think him nor the club claim that he is. His touch and hold up play is improving - you only need to look at Burton game to see that his must have been an area the coaches are working on with him. Don't get me wrong, I've been frustrated at times with his decision making but that is the purpose of working with them on the training ground to fine tune those weaknesses. Look at Tom Conlon progression (who's now 25 and soon to be 26 in Feb) who was being written off a couple of years ago - players at our level just need a little more time to train and learn from mistakes in games. 

I appreciate that the greedy league sees young prospects playing fantastic football at 21 but they are few and far between and at our level, they will generally develop at a later stage in their career. With Rodney, he needs to earn his place like everyone but there is certainly a good player in there and one I hope is realised with us rather than somewhere else. He seems to be a confidence player and he does need to zone out the moans and groans that I hear around the ground - I've been guilty of letting out a little moan when his first touch has made the ball run away from him when we would otherwise have been in a good attacking position - but that unfortunately part of the game with fans in the ground that he needs to get used to. His first full season with us, he had no fans in the ground on his back and was top scorer (in a shocking season admittedly). 

Macc, I agree with everything that you’ve written and as I stated Proctor,Wilson were fit and so was Amoo who I felt was our third choice striker. I know Rodney can play don’t know if it’s confidence or attitude. I thought he was good at Burton and said if someone in the EPL had played the ball that he did, then we’d be hearing and watching it until Christmas. At Oldham away in the second half he was moved out to right wing and again was exceptional with his ability to beat their left back.

We all groan at players so don’t feel guilty it’s just frustration wanting the best for PVFC. This is because we want them to win every game which unfortunately isn’t possible.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Playa Amodores said:

Macc, I agree with everything that you’ve written and as I stated Proctor,Wilson were fit and so was Amoo who I felt was our third choice striker. I know Rodney can play don’t know if it’s confidence or attitude. I thought he was good at Burton and said if someone in the EPL had played the ball that he did, then we’d be hearing and watching it until Christmas. At Oldham away in the second half he was moved out to right wing and again was exceptional with his ability to beat their left back.

We all groan at players so don’t feel guilty it’s just frustration wanting the best for PVFC. This is because we want them to win every game which unfortunately isn’t possible.

Whilst players do have to learn to accept moaning and groaning, I'd like to see fans control themselves better as well.

That too is in the best interests of the club and more likely to achieve the positive outcomes that people want.

• Like 2

Advert:

2 minutes ago, SFBT said:

Whilst players do have to learn to accept moaning and groaning, I'd like to see fans control themselves better as well.

That too is in the best interests of the club and more likely to achieve the positive outcomes that people want.

SFBT I thought Macc said groan not berate them. That is negativity that obviously won’t do anything in creating positivity. Also the players won’t hear a moan/groan

The Johnson situation could be similar to Richie Bennett.  Not quite happened for him and Vale decide to cash in to the tune of 50K or whatever it might be after only a few months at the Vale.

Given his stats at Hartlepool which were impeccable last season I think we stick with him .Might be down to the player in which case he'd probably go back with Challinor.

Apart from odd minutes here and there ( I don't watch Pizza cup) I remember he had a poor debut in a nothing performance at Northampton but a very steady game v an albeit terrible Hartlepool.  

He's on an upwards curve having come from nowhere in a short space of time football wise.

Legge or Johnson? Absolute no brainer for me, the lad has to be given a consistent run in the team.

I want him to stay. 

I agree that loaning Johnson out would be a good move. He hasn't featured enough and there's no evidence he's good enough for the level we want to be at. He's had limited chances but those he has had, he hasn't taken consistently. If he couldn't feature for us so far, will he be good enough to feature if we're genuinely in the top 3 mix in April?

Of course, we need to consider him too - he probably wants to go and play football.

1 hour ago, Playa Amodores said:

SFBT I thought Macc said groan not berate them. That is negativity that obviously won’t do anything in creating positivity. Also the players won’t hear a moan/groan

I'm not so sure about players not hearing collective moans and groans, and it was that I was referring to.

It's often said that fans are the twelfth man when encouraging players/ the team.

I believe it works against the team when fans are groaning, as I'm pretty sure it comes across.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SFBT said:

I'm not so sure about players not hearing collective moans and groans, and it was that I was referring to.

It's often said that fans are the twelfth man when encouraging players/ the team.

I believe it works against the team when fans are groaning, as I'm pretty sure it comes across.

I’m sure that the crowd groaning will be a lot more pleasant than what will be awaiting them when they get to not the dressing room

Advert:

Posted (edited)

Johnson gone permanently to Stockport. If we have made money on him, having signed him on a free then not played him for 6 months, then we're elite operators. Lump it on a forward Flitters. I know some will be annoyed but the lad hasn't been good enough to get in our side and we've turned a profit. That's just good business.

"Ryan would have remained in the clubs plans moving forward, however a deal was presented to the club that offered us really good value for the player and will provide us with an opportunity to reinvest this money back into other areas of the club.

"This aligns with the clubs new player trading philosophy, looking to extract value from its assets in a variety of different ways to help maximise the growth and improvement of the football club."

Edited by Joe B
  • Like 4

Johnson gone, hopefully we’ve picked up a decent fee from Stockport which makes it a decent signing really. Wasn’t impressed with what I saw of him, although his chances were limited   Still think it’s a good move all round. 

Agree with Joe. To sign a player for nothing, hardly play him and sell him for a profit is absolutely miraculous. All credit to Flitcroft.

Good luck Ryan, won't lose any sleep about him leaving as he's looked hopeless everytime I've seen him play.

• Like 2

Advert:

5 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Johnson gone permanently to Stockport. If we have made money on him, having signed him on a free then not played him for 6 months, then we're elite operators. Lump it on a forward Flitters. I know some will be annoyed but the lad hasn't been good enough to get in our side and we've turned a profit. That's just good business.

"Ryan would have remained in the clubs plans moving forward, however a deal was presented to the club that offered us really good value for the player and will provide us with an opportunity to reinvest this money back into other areas of the club.

"This aligns with the clubs new player trading philosophy, looking to extract value from its assets in a variety of different ways to help maximise the growth and improvement of the football club."

I think that's cracking business by all involved as it wont be for peanuts with him still having 1.5yrs left and reading between the lines it seems to be an offer they couldn't turn down. I like the model we are following

• Like 1